Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 09-22-2017, 01:59 AM   #31
AnotherCat
AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ....
Yes, I voted last week, was walking past an early voting booth so did it then .

With Calibre 3.8 I continue to get the two icons (but didn't get the message box when installing).
AnotherCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 02:19 AM   #32
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherCat View Post
Yes, I voted last week, was walking past an early voting booth so did it then .
Why not vote every week - we're headed that way with optional non binding postal surveys

Quote:
With Calibre 3.8 I continue to get the two icons (but didn't get the message box when installing).
Shame, but Kovid wasn't very hopeful his changes would fix it -

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 09-22-2017 at 02:21 AM.
BetterRed is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-22-2017, 02:34 AM   #33
AnotherCat
AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

You guys are allowed to vote over here as long as you have lived here continuously for 12 months, you don't even need a residents visa to do so - so maybe I could pretend to be you and get a second vote .

Don't we treat Oz's well .
Old 09-22-2017, 02:45 AM   #34
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
[ . . . ] but didn't get the message box when installing).
I restarted Windows just in case - still can't get the 2nd icon.

Quote:
You guys are allowed to vote over here as long as you have lived here continuously for 12 months, you don't even need a residents visa to do so - so maybe I could pretend to be you and get a second vote .

Don't we treat Oz's well .
But could an Aussie get to be the EnZed deputy Prime Minister

For non-antipodean's, the bloke who told Johnny Depp and Amber Rudd to get their dogs out of Australia pronto - is a bloody Kiwi, foreigners can't be Members of Parliament, let alone deputy PM

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 09-22-2017 at 05:30 AM. Reason: because I could
Old 09-22-2017, 03:02 AM   #35
MerlinMama
Evangelist
MerlinMama does all things with Zen-like beautyMerlinMama does all things with Zen-like beautyMerlinMama does all things with Zen-like beautyMerlinMama does all things with Zen-like beautyMerlinMama does all things with Zen-like beautyMerlinMama does all things with Zen-like beautyMerlinMama does all things with Zen-like beautyMerlinMama does all things with Zen-like beautyMerlinMama does all things with Zen-like beautyMerlinMama does all things with Zen-like beautyMerlinMama does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: Kobo Sage
After installing Calibre 3.8, the icon in the taskbar is changed from the regular books icon, to something with a green lock on it. Is that supposed to happen? It also opened a separate icon, but I figure I'm going to unpin and repin at some point so am waiting for now.

Oops, looking closer, it's not a green lock LOL. Sorry about that...

Last edited by MerlinMama; 09-22-2017 at 03:03 AM. Reason: Mistake
MerlinMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-22-2017, 03:24 AM   #36
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
THere is no change to the icon. The only change is that if you have pinned it previously you will get two, so you need to unpin and repin.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 03:28 AM   #37
AnotherCat

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
... But could an Aussie get to be the EnZed deputy PM
Yes, we aren't very fussy . You do have to be a citizen though - dual citizenship is fine here (unlike some places :-) ).
Old 09-22-2017, 04:30 AM   #38
MerlinMama
Evangelist
MerlinMama does all things with Zen-like beautyMerlinMama does all things with Zen-like beautyMerlinMama does all things with Zen-like beautyMerlinMama does all things with Zen-like beautyMerlinMama does all things with Zen-like beautyMerlinMama does all things with Zen-like beautyMerlinMama does all things with Zen-like beautyMerlinMama does all things with Zen-like beautyMerlinMama does all things with Zen-like beautyMerlinMama does all things with Zen-like beautyMerlinMama does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: Kobo Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
THere is no change to the icon. The only change is that if you have pinned it previously you will get two, so you need to unpin and repin.
As you can see from the attached image, the two icons (old and new) are different, which is why I asked if it was supposed to change.

I had Calibre closed when I unpinned the old one, and when I opened Calibre, it showed the 'changed' icon. When I pinned it, it returned to the 'original' one.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Calibre.JPG
Views:	179
Size:	35.1 KB
ID:	159120  
MerlinMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 04:38 AM   #39
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Your picture isn't very clear, but I'd guess it is because you are using a custom icon theme for calibre. When you pin it it uses the icon from the exe file which is unaffected by thmeing. When it is unpinned the icon comes fro the window icon which is affected by themeing.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 05:35 AM   #40
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I've figured out what the problem is. If you pin the Calibre icon to the taskbar using the icon that's there while Calibre is running, you won't see two icons. You will only ever see one icon. But, if you right click the Calibre icon from the desktop and select pin to taskbar from there, it will work.

When you pin from the icon when the program is running, it uses the same icon. When you pin from the desktop, it uses two different icons. Problem solved.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 05:41 AM   #41
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I've figured out what the problem is. If you pin the Calibre icon to the taskbar using the icon that's there while Calibre is running, you won't see two icons. You will only ever see one icon. But, if you right click the Calibre icon from the desktop and select pin to taskbar from there, it will work.

When you pin from the icon when the program is running, it uses the same icon. When you pin from the desktop, it uses two different icons. Problem solved.
Balderdash - did you actually read the thread!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
[ . . .] I'm referring to the one that requires a running instance of the program to be pinned from within the task bar itself, rather than using the 'Pin to Taskbar' option from the Start Menu. [ . . . ]

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 09-22-2017 at 05:44 AM.
Old 09-22-2017, 05:58 AM   #42
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

When I have the running Calibre's icon pinned to the taskbar, I do see it highlighted when it's the active window. Control-R to rerun Calibre, I don't see a second icon.
Old 09-22-2017, 04:39 PM   #43
AnotherCat

JSWolf:

Yes that corrected it for me. Even after installing Calibre 3.8 and unpinning then repinning the button to the taskbar (as it happens I did that from the Start menu with Calibre not running) I still got two buttons.

But if I unpin it then pin it from the running instance of the button on the taskbar while Calibre is running (started from the Start menu) the issue seems to have gone .

Last edited by AnotherCat; 09-22-2017 at 04:41 PM.
Old 09-22-2017, 07:37 PM   #44
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
JSWolf:

Yes that corrected it for me. Even after installing Calibre 3.8 and unpinning then repinning the button to the taskbar (as it happens I did that from the Start menu with Calibre not running) I still got two buttons.

But if I unpin it then pin it from the running instance of the button on the taskbar while Calibre is running (started from the Start menu) the issue seems to have gone .
I think I've figured out what's going on. When you pin the icon using an icon from the desktop, it's not the same icon as the one you see when it's running. So on the taskbar, you get two icons because they are different. When you pin the icon that's on the taskbar while Calibre is running, you only get one icon because it's the icon for when Calibre is running.

It can be a bit confusing because they look like the same icon.
Old 09-22-2017, 11:14 PM   #45
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

@KovidGoyal - now I know AnotherCat and Terisa de Morgan have also experienced this oddity - intermittently - and that it occurs with other programs - intermittently - I am not so concerned about this problem.

Given its only an appearance issue, and that it only affects people with my particular sensibilities, I suggest we leave it in limbo.

FWIW 64 bit 3.8 has been working fine - started and restarted it a few times since I installed it yesterday, no 2nd icons. - certainly is a weird one.

I had a quick browse at the Tracker and Evernote forums to see if there were any similar reports, nothing at Tracker, saw a similar report at Evernote but that forum has dozens of 'works for me' merchants, hence the reporter said he/she would take the issue up via an EN Premium Support Ticket.

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 09-23-2017 at 12:18 AM.