Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Windows Devices

Notices

Old 01-06-2014, 12:37 PM   #1
emt
Nameless Being

Decent EPub Reader for Windows 8.1

I've tried BookVisor from the Microsoft app store but it's buggy and crashes often. Freda+ is meh! particularly in appearance and font handling.

Can anybody recommend alternatives?
Old 01-06-2014, 02:41 PM   #2
LinuxArie
Connoisseur
LinuxArie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LinuxArie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LinuxArie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LinuxArie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LinuxArie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LinuxArie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LinuxArie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LinuxArie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LinuxArie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LinuxArie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LinuxArie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch & Clara HD. FBreader on Lenovo Yoga Tab 3 Pro, Nokia 3.1
Calibre or ePub reader addon fot Firefox
LinuxArie is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-06-2014, 02:48 PM   #3
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
I like Book Bazaar. It supports lots of formats and has a quite good feature set. There is a wiki page here: https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Book_Bazaar. There is also a long list in our wiki at https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/E-bo...Windows_8_Apps but it is not complete yet.

Of course the regular Windows products will also work on all but the RT version.

Dale

Last edited by DaleDe; 01-06-2014 at 02:51 PM.
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 06:53 AM   #4
fekhner
Addict
fekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: DRs, EE, ipad/iphone, Helix
Thanks for the info and links, Dale !
fekhner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 11:19 AM   #5
emt
Nameless Being

Yes, thanks Dale - I just downloaded and installed - very nice. Hope the developers continue to update it - it's way better than alternatives I've tried.
Advert
Old 02-18-2014, 02:45 PM   #6
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Nice, Dale. Thanks. I hadn't tried that one yet, but will add it now.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 03:12 PM   #7
lukeintas
lukeintas began at the beginning.

Device: iBooks
I will have to check out Book Bazaar. Unfortunately there are a lot of really bad ePub readers for Windows tablets. I've tried quite a few, but haven't found one yet with good touch user interface and annotation features.

ebooks.de seemed okay as a touch interface reader, but has no annotation features. And the desktop Adobe Digital Editions app has okay annotation features, but doesn't work as a touch interface app in tablet mode.

Many of the other Windows Store apps were also pretty poor in that they crashed on launch, or if they worked, poorly rendered the ePubs.

Has been really frustrating as my work has started issuing Windows 8 tablets, and I've been hoping to take advantage of the ePub format for the distribution of internal training materials.

The Readium extension to Chrome browser also seems to render reliably, but isn't a touch interface app, doesn't have annotation features, and isn't as simple for users to open books in as a dedicated app.
lukeintas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 12:37 PM   #8
dhume01
Connoisseur
dhume01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhume01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhume01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhume01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhume01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhume01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhume01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhume01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhume01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhume01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhume01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Chromebook Pro, Note 10 Lite
I would think the Nook app might be a good choice; it looks like you can import your own personal ePubs and PDFs:
http://apps.microsoft.com/windows/en...3-a329d52bd372
dhume01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 05:07 PM   #9
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
eBook.de

No idea, how good it is.
But this was the one I stumbled over when searching for an Adobe DRM capable reader. Many might not need it, since they strip DRM. But I find it convenient enough and one of the few "real" Metro apps, though I haven't really checked out the features yet.
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 08:30 AM   #10
fekhner
Addict
fekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: DRs, EE, ipad/iphone, Helix
I have been using Book Bazaar for some time now but after touch support has been recently added to the calibre viewer, the best reading set-up on windows 8.1 for me is the following right now:

1) add a tile for calibre to your start screen (optional, depending on your starting point)

2) make the buttons and fonts of calibre large enough to be easily useable through touch

3) after launching the calibre viewer, go full-screen

A big advantage to me is that there no need any longer to import epubs and mobis from calibre to your reading app or to point your reading app to the calibre library directory and to have to navigate that structure.

It is not clear to me if any of the dedicated touch screen reading apps is really a lot better than the calibre viewer ?
fekhner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 03:56 PM   #11
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by fekhner View Post
I have been using Book Bazaar for some time now but after touch support has been recently added to the calibre viewer, the best reading set-up on windows 8.1 for me is the following right now:

1) add a tile for calibre to your start screen (optional, depending on your starting point)

2) make the buttons and fonts of calibre large enough to be easily useable through touch

3) after launching the calibre viewer, go full-screen

A big advantage to me is that there no need any longer to import epubs and mobis from calibre to your reading app or to point your reading app to the calibre library directory and to have to navigate that structure.

It is not clear to me if any of the dedicated touch screen reading apps is really a lot better than the calibre viewer ?
That depends on what you want from a viewer. I like to highlight and the Calibre Viewer doesn't support that. And I like to read under different circumstances. Some with some light, and some without light. For the first, I prefer a light background with dark letters, for the second, a dark background with dark letters (not black vs white, but rather black vs gray). Couldn't find that in the Calibre Viewer either...

But, it is a very good reader in itself, I agree. If you don't want any extra things, like highlighting and multiple colour schemes, it's very good reader.
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 02:52 AM   #12
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Ok, I've tried several ereader software now, and there is none that is perfect for me...
Nook: does support embedded fonts and highlighting but doesn't have a nightmode (unless you turn off the publisher style, but you don't have the embedded font then)
eBook.de: also supports embedded fonts and highlighting but a nighmode isn't black and white! You still get blinded by the white text...
Book Bazaar: at least has a nightmode that is black and gray, but doesn't support publisher layout...

In short: they are all lacking, and I only have three wishes...
Old 02-22-2014, 09:35 AM   #13
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
And I like to read under different circumstances. Some with some light, and some without light. For the first, I prefer a light background with dark letters, for the second, a dark background with dark letters (not black vs white, but rather black vs gray). Couldn't find that in the Calibre Viewer either...
This won't help with highlighting, but I just thought I'd post to say that you can save different colour themes for the calibre Viewer. I'm a Win7 user, but I would hope the features also work on Win8.
  • Open the Viewer and click the Prefs button.
  • On the General tab, go to the Colors and Backgrounds button to choose your background/foreground colours.
  • Then go to the Theming tab and Save your current settings with a meaningful name.
  • Repeat as often as required.
  • Use the Theming - Load option when you want to swap between themes
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 11:17 AM   #14
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer

Hmm, hadn't seen that one yet... Must be because I never read on my PC and this is my first windows tablet

Only one drawback: the scrollbar on the right... It won't change colour
Old 02-22-2014, 12:01 PM   #15
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
Only one drawback: the scrollbar on the right... It won't change colour
No, but I'm able to make the right-hand scrollbar disappear by unchecking the 'Show scrollbar in full screen mode' on the General - Full screen options page. You have to read in fullscreen mode for it to work but there's also an option to set 'Max text width in fullscreen'. Toggling the Show/Hide Controls makes the top and left-hand distractions disappear.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote