Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 05-08-2013, 02:50 PM   #16
dixieknits
Addict
dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Nook Color
I would stick with the Kobo for 2 reasons really important to me-
Page numbers from sideloaded books from the library and epub capability. My Glo has perfect lighting and is so easy to use unlike my Kindle.
dixieknits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 03:26 PM   #17
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by dixieknits View Post
I would stick with the Kobo for 2 reasons really important to me-
Page numbers from sideloaded books from the library and epub capability. My Glo has perfect lighting and is so easy to use unlike my Kindle.
That's good to hear. I hope the Kobo Glo I ordered will be here tomorrow.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 08:00 PM   #18
Cdesja5
Wizard
Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lots and lots of electronic gadgets...
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
If you borrow books from the library, Overdrive.com has much smoother integration with the Kindle than with the Nook or Kobo.
The OP is in the UK and libraries there (as well many other countries) lend out epubs not kindle ebooks.
Cdesja5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 08:12 PM   #19
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dixieknits View Post
I would stick with the Kobo for 2 reasons really important to me- Page numbers from sideloaded books from the library and epub capability. My Glo has perfect lighting and is so easy to use unlike my Kindle.
The Kindle also has page numbers on library books. Any book that has gotten real page numbers at Amazon (and most books I believe are getting those) have them as a library loan -- because on Amazon a loan acts as if you OWN THE BOOK for the duration of the loan. Any feature of the book when it is owned -- page numbers, xray, and most importantly, the ability to download via Wifi DIRECTLY to your Kindle.

Although it could be you don't get any advanced features of Kindle books for ANY books you own as well, if you have an older Kindle. I believe azw3 support, page numbers, xray, popular highlights, and author profiles are only available to Kindle 4th generation and on. Which one do you have?

Also, ePub compatibility means nothing -- in a calibre world, azw3=ePub and ePub=azw3. The only issue with cross-device compatibility is DRM, of which there are three main ones: Amazon, Adobe Adept, and Barnes & Noble. B&N is based on Adept, but from what I hear, no other readers can use Adobe Digital Editions to transfer B&N books to another device, and Amazon books are restricted to Kindles and Kindle apps.
Presumably, then, if you want ePub support for Kindles, it is because you have non-DRM'ed ebooks you wish to put on a Kindle. In which case, download calibre and convert from ePub to Amazon azw3. Once installed, the conversion takes 10 seconds on a SLOW day.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 08:15 PM   #20
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
If you borrow books from the library, Overdrive.com has much smoother integration with the Kindle than with the Nook or Kobo.
Do we know what country the OP is from? Overdrive has zero integration with the Kindle here (and, I believe, in mot of the world). No library borrowing for Kindles at all.

ETA: Sorry, missed the above! Ah well, just add me to the choir.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 08:35 PM   #21
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by meeera View Post
Do we know what country the OP is from? Overdrive has zero integration with the Kindle here (and, I believe, in mot of the world). No library borrowing for Kindles at all.
ETA: Sorry, missed the above! Ah well, just add me to the choir.
And you can for Adobe?
Old 05-08-2013, 08:45 PM   #22
Cdesja5
Wizard
Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lots and lots of electronic gadgets...
Quote:
Originally Posted by MKPinner View Post
As many will be aware Nook is heavily discounted at the moment in the UK. I have wanted an illuminated ebook reader ever since i broke my original kindle. I have been offered a Kindle Paperwhite at £75 so the price is almost the same.
I would say based on the OP's comments in the first post that it is pretty evident that they live in the UK (the UK in the first sentence and the 75 pounds in the third make it a pretty sure thing...) No kindle books available at libraries. They can only be purchased.
Not everyone wants to remove DRM and convert books even though it is relatively easy. I know any number of people who read with an ereader but don't use Calibre at all; nor do they want to. To each his own.

Last edited by Cdesja5; 05-08-2013 at 08:53 PM.
Cdesja5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 08:55 PM   #23
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
And you can for Adobe?
Yes, no problem.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 08:52 AM   #24
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
Library book availability seems a bit of a red herring as the OP has made absolutely no mention of reading library books, already mentions they are comfortable converting formats with Calibre (which is why they are happy to consider Nook v Paperwhite), and is really focusing on which has the best lighting as they want to read a lot in bed.

Bottom line, Paperwhite is better than the Nook Glowlight in terms of lighting, so for £75 v £69, just stick with the Kindle. However, if you don't mind spending extra and would quite like a slightly bigger screen, currently the Kobo Aura at £139 is probably the best of the lot.
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 05:53 PM   #25
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

And because with calibre you can convert Adobe to azw3 also.
Old 01-04-2014, 06:28 AM   #26
MKPinner
MKPinner began at the beginning.

Device: none
Hi Guys I still haven't bought my e-reader after all !! I got a few John Lewis vouchers for Christmas and thought should get my ereader after all. The choice i have is Kindle PW @ £109 or Nook Simple touch GlowLight @ £49. The price leads me towards the Nook but the only thing i cant compare is how does the resolution affect the reading quality. Is the Kindle far far away better or is it just marginal?
MKPinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 06:49 AM   #27
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
In terms of reading quality, there's not that much in it. You may, however, want to look at the Kobo and Kindle forums here before deciding. The Kobo has far, far more complaints about buggy firmware and instability than the Kindle does.

EDIT: Sorry, misread your post - I see you're talking about the Nook, not the Kobo .

Last edited by HarryT; 01-04-2014 at 09:52 AM.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 09:51 AM   #28
NickyWithNook
Guru
NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite (Don't use Nook anymore)
I think they're just as good quality wise. My Paperwhite tells me how much longer I have left to read the book instead of what page number I'm on, although maybe there's a way to change that I haven't discovered, and my Glowlight tells page number.

The biggest difference to me is that Amazon has better customer service than Barnes and Noble.
NickyWithNook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 09:53 AM   #29
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickyWithNook View Post
My Paperwhite tells me how much longer I have left to read the book instead of what page number I'm on, although maybe there's a way to change that I haven't discovered
Just tap it (the "Time left" indicator, that is); it'll cycle through time left in chapter, time left in book, page number, and location.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 11:09 AM   #30
NickyWithNook
Guru
NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite (Don't use Nook anymore)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Just tap it (the "Time left" indicator, that is); it'll cycle through time left in chapter, time left in book, page number, and location.
Awesome! Thank you. Although the Nook would say, "Page 511 of 771" rather than just "Page 511." Still, I do love the page numbers and I can check Goodreads to find out how many pages there are.
NickyWithNook is offline   Reply With Quote