Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 02-19-2012, 05:37 PM   #1
kyteflyer
Wizard
kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone SE2020
Megareader getting no love?

I find it really interesting that Megareader barely gets a mention here anymore.

Patrick has released twice in the last month or so, once to add sideloading and once to satisfy those of us who hated the LONG books listing by enabling grouping by author. We already had the ability to add our own sources.

He's been working really hard on it, and I think that it deserves a second look from those who dismissed it before, as I did. Its well ahead of Bluefire in terms of "lets get some Stanza features in there".
kyteflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 10:36 PM   #2
david_e
Seriously?
david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Mini, iWhatever

Last edited by david_e; 09-05-2012 at 05:39 PM.
david_e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 11:34 PM   #3
frozennorth
Evangelist
frozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic something

Device: Onyx Boox RIP, Sony PRS-T1, Kobo Libra
I won't use megareader unless they start supporting display styles like italics and bold.

Last edited by frozennorth; 02-19-2012 at 11:37 PM.
frozennorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 01:21 AM   #4
kyteflyer
Wizard
kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by david_e View Post
As someone who has no knowledge of what Stanza is or was, what is the purpose of this app, other than grouping together what is already available at no cost? I'm not questioning the price, which is quite low, I just don't see the point.
wow. Stanza is dead in the water. Chances are on the next iOS update, it will cease to function. Some of us who do know what Stanza is or was, will understand the point.

NO other reader provides author grouping except in a long list... the updated Megareader now gives each author his/her own page with the books listed here. Its much more manageable when you have a lot of books. Stanza has it. iBooks doesnt. Bluefire doesnt. etc etc. For some of us, there *is* a point

Sideloading is not available in all apps. Megareader did not have it. Lots of people asked for it (they also asked for Author grouping) and it has now been provided.

Trust me, there *is* a point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by frozennorth View Post
I won't use megareader unless they start supporting display styles like italics and bold.
So have you registered at the support section and voted for it? I have. Patrick is working on it but other things are getting more votes.

Last edited by kyteflyer; 02-20-2012 at 01:29 AM.
Old 02-21-2012, 07:14 PM   #5
hypermat64
hypermat64 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2 (International)
Just wanted to add my support for the work being done on Megareader. He at least is listening to what people want and slowly but surely introducing it. There is visible progress which is more than can be said for some ereader apps.

Cheers....
hypermat64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 07:56 PM   #6
NETLOLA
NETLOLA began at the beginning.

Device: Apple iPad Air 2
I love the customization of text, font, background etc, but the Developer needs to add the ability to annotate, eg. highlights, notes, bookmarks and dictionary intergration. Then this App would be truly great.
NETLOLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 08:15 PM   #7
kyteflyer
Wizard

for those who want particular features in Megareader, I really would STRONGLY suggest that you register at uservoice and add your votes or ideas. Do check to see if your idea is already listed, you are simply wasting a vote if you submit it as a new one. Patrick will be looking at those with lots of votes.

Just do it.

Annotations? Not high on my priority list, but if you want to have it, go and vote for it.
Formatting? I'd like that too. I have voted. If you want it and havent bothered getting involved, change that now.

Patrick is listening *and* acting on suggestions. 2 updates in the last month and more to come? Do not dismiss this app.
Old 02-21-2012, 10:08 PM   #8
frozennorth
Evangelist
frozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic something

Device: Onyx Boox RIP, Sony PRS-T1, Kobo Libra
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyteflyer View Post
So have you registered at the support section and voted for it? I have. Patrick is working on it but other things are getting more votes.
Just added my 3 votes (top allowed) to it.
frozennorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 04:04 PM   #9
kyteflyer
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by frozennorth View Post
Just added my 3 votes (top allowed) to it.
Excellent! It really is worth doing, because the dev (Patrick) pays attention *and* acts, which is not that common.

I also paid for an app called "ReadMe" which is also not bad, but lacking some needed options. On their website they say to get in touch if there are issues or requests... did so... not even a reply to my email, no acknowledgement at all, let alone any updates. Last updated 8 months ago and I suspect thats an end to it. They probably made enough money already.

Also paid for "EBookMobi" which isnt bad, but doesnt seem to like OPDS catalogues, only web pages. The link between the app and downloading from websites (a basic browser within the app) is pretty clumsy. There are updates from time to time though so we know its being worked on.

Bought Tomes as my first reader (it was just called Bookshelf at the time and it was before Stanza)... it was in the Installer repository which was the precursor to Cydia, and it was really really good. Its not anymore. I check it out every time theres an update but so far have not found anything to recommend it above and beyond the others.

I've been on a mission to find the perfect replacement for Stanza. It doesnt yet exist, but Patrick's work is encouraging and leads me to think that Megareader will be first past the post. (Micah... you listening?)
Old 02-23-2012, 05:37 AM   #10
Shell30Bell
Avid Reader
Shell30Bell began at the beginning.

Device: iPad, iPhone
Pleased to see that there have been some updates to Megareader - will try using it again. I'm reasonably happy with the iBooks app but like the additional features that Megareader offers over iBooks and Bluefire. Just need to see how many eBooks Megareader can handle.
Shell30Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 01:19 PM   #11
Shell30Bell
Avid Reader
Shell30Bell began at the beginning.

Device: iPad, iPhone
Hmmm .. Noticed punctuation marks missing from some eBooks while reading in Megareader. Quotation marks, apostrophe's, exclamation marks etc missing from some eBooks.

Love the author grouping feature. This, along with offering different background colours, makes it better than iBooks. I still need to do some tweaking of the metadata to get the books listed the way I want but the improvements made so far give me hope that it will be a worthy Stanza replacement. The big issue for me will be how many eBooks can Megareader handle. I have nearly 3000 eBooks so it needs to be able to handle at least that many!
Shell30Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 04:19 PM   #12
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Any reading app that supports "frills" before making sure the rendering works well is not going to get my vote.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 10:25 PM   #13
kyteflyer
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Any reading app that supports "frills" before making sure the rendering works well is not going to get my vote.
So go vote for getting the rendering sorted out, at uservoice. The more votes it gets, the further up the list it will go. The "frills" (and I am seriously not sure what you mean by that) got there first because the people who wanted those (whatever the things are that you consider "frills") went and voted.

No point complaining or petulantly claiming you wont use something if you dont go and get involved. The platform is there, the developer listens. End of.
Old 02-24-2012, 10:29 PM   #14
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Frills...

Quote:
Its well ahead of Bluefire in terms of "lets get some Stanza features in there".
Those are frills. Features that have nothing to do with rendering. Not doing bold and italics before the frills is not putting the user first. I don't care if Every user said they wanted night mode and it was added before making sure the rendering was working properly. This is a bad idea to start adding features not related to rendering when the rendering is broken.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 12:54 AM   #15
kyteflyer
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
This is a bad idea to start adding features not related to rendering when the rendering is broken.
OK. So have you been and voted for appropriate features? I have.