Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 07-13-2012, 06:25 PM   #1
thingumybob
Junior? JUNIOR?! OK :-)
thingumybob began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS 600
Is Kindle books conversion associated with K4PC broken?

I have for some long time been successfully and easily converting my Kindle books to ePub with Calibre on my PC to also read on my Sony PR600. But two days ago it all broke! This month (July) I bought some books and downloaded them twice, separately onto K4Android on my Samsung Tab 10.1 and to K4PC my Samsung Netbook, i.e. just exactly as I have done before. Also I up-dated Calibre and added new versions of plugins from the 5.1 collection. Then I copied the AZW files (from the “My Kindle Content” folder) to the folder Calibre looks in automatically to upload/convert, sat back and … Nothing! Well, not exactly nothing. When Calibre was moving/converting I got the message that other people seem to refer to these days, namely that I need "a 10-digit PID". And if I tried to convert from within Calibre on a AZW file I got the "This has DRM .." message. Now, everywhere I have looked it says that K4PC doesn’t need (or have) a PID. I tried importing directing from the Kindle folder — same message. Does anyone have any idea what might be going on here? Am I just being dumb and have missed something? I tried converting a MOBI file (Kindle) already sitting in my Calibre library from a month or two ago -- one that I had successfully converted to ePub-- to LRF and it worked OK with no negative messages! Perfect. Weird! Help!
thingumybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 06:43 PM   #2
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Calibre doesn't care if your files came from Kindle for PC or from a device or downloaded from a website. It seems you might be asking questions that no one here is allowed to help you with—questions that don't really have anything to do with calibre. You need to ask those kinds of questions in the place where you got the "plugins from the 5.1 collection."
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-13-2012, 07:40 PM   #3
thingumybob

Noted, although I am only using the "freed" versions for my own use. Maybe there is a simple answer somewhere. Oh, one extra bit of info. I also up-dated K4PC in the same time period, to V 1.9.1. So many changes that now I don't know where to look!
Old 07-13-2012, 09:53 PM   #4
thingumybob

So, going back to "[I]the place where got the "plugins from the 5.1 collection."" :-) I read some other comments and discovered that (1) MY problem was a problem with me -- I had not properly uninstalled and re-installed certain Calibre plugins. Moral: Don't rush/be over-enthusiastic -- Take your time to be sure you are doing things right! That way you [I] won't waste busy people's time ... (2) There are however a few issues around with changed formats (NOT my issue) so there is some interesting stuff to read about "[I]in the place where got the "plugins from the 5.1 collection."". With Google's help Alf's magical place is easy to find.