Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 09-01-2010, 05:10 AM   #31
Dave Berk
Fanatic
Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.

Device: PRS505
Quote:
Originally Posted by charleski View Post
The pictures from PCMag look pretty good. If they've got the Pearl screen and have solved the touchscreen glare issue then these are strong products.
I agree.

What makes me mad is that they don't offer a 9.7in version. I can't understand why. They could basically corner the market for eInk based academic reader. Amazon is refusing to add TOC and links support to its DX line (beats me why). PocketBook aren't using the latest pearl eInk screen. I don't know why Sony is ignoring this market, this is a niche they could really dominate.

Also, what is cause of the fading on the upper part of the screen here? It looks like a reflection, but I'm not sure.
Dave Berk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 05:16 AM   #32
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
The screen contrast doesnt look as good as the kindle.

Nothing here that excites me. So far I am disappointed with the new models from both Sony and Pocketbook.
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-01-2010, 05:22 AM   #33
Mycropht
Optimist
Mycropht has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Mycropht has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Mycropht has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Mycropht has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
I am SO dissapointed!!!

After reading that Sony has solved the display issues with the touch screen I was almost sure the PRS-650 will be mine. Now it turns out that it has no WiFi.

I have read this: "Steve Haber, president of Sony’s digital reading division, says that the company’s research shows that most customers tether their devices.". Well, Mr. Haber, I would say that among other problems Sony has a problem with researchers. For sure, most customers will tether their PRS-650 as it has no wireless.

IMHO, the WiFi is crucial to bring reading experience to a higher level. I will stick to the paper until I will be able to switch effortlessly between books, a browser page (e.g. Wikipedia) and a dictionary/thesaurus view. Also, a split view would be useful.

I will see if the new Daily Edition fits the description above but I still do not like the price and the only choice of colour being silver.

Finally, it is my impression that Sony wants us to pay premium prices without offering premium devices. I am wondering how many such nice tries a company can pull.
Mycropht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 05:24 AM   #34
Jer
Jer doesn't litterJer doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-600
The contrast on the Kindle 3 does look a little better, but I prefer the touch functions, extra dictionaries, multiple book suppliers, and the already purchased books I already have from the Sony store. Yes, I could strip drm and convert them, but there's no point when I'm content with the Sony machines and experience.

Sony may be a little more expensive, and they may be a little more restrictive, but there are a great many of us who remember Amazon's first brush with E-books, and our 'personal digital libraries' suddenly disappearing without notice, refund, explanation, or apology.

For those interested, here are the Sonystyle links to the new 350 and 650. They aren't up for sale just yet, though.

PRS-350
http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/...52921666257813

PRS-650
http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/...52921666257815
Jer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 05:32 AM   #35
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
In what way does it distinguish them? There are numerous devices on the market which have touch screens.
But nobody before Sony will have touch and Pearl.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-01-2010, 05:37 AM   #36
charleski
Wizard
charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Berk View Post
Also, what is cause of the fading on the upper part of the screen here? It looks like a reflection, but I'm not sure.
It's residual glare. Obviously that hasn't been completely eliminated and you can expect to see it still if the lightsource is right over the screen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fbone View Post
The screen contrast doesnt look as good as the kindle.
It took some time to find images of the new Kindle that showed a real improvement with the Pearl screen. There are lots of pics of the K3 that are pretty unimpressive. Any comparisons need to be made with strictly controlled lighting.
charleski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 05:49 AM   #37
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by olis View Post
Since they come with a stylus I don't think they are using a capacitive screen.
Not necessarily. You can get styli for capacitive screens.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 06:19 AM   #38
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
And here's the 950:
http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/...52921666258035
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 06:32 AM   #39
rhadin
Literacy = Understanding
rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Tablet
I thought it was pretty clear that Sony's strategy is to be the leader everywhere but in the U.S. That is, it is taking a global look rather than a U.S.-centric look.

I personally plan on buying the new 950. The price is high, but I've had my 505 for nearly 3 years without a single problem and my wife wants it. If the 950 gives me the same service -- 3 years without a problem -- I will feel that the price was justified. I tend to weigh quality higher than price, not that price isn't important -- it's just not controlling.

The one issue I want resolved is to know whether the ADE/ePub has been updated will give me access to B&N as well as the Sony bookstore.
rhadin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 06:47 AM   #40
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Berk View Post
I agree.

What makes me mad is that they don't offer a 9.7in version. I can't understand why. They could basically corner the market for eInk based academic reader. Amazon is refusing to add TOC and links support to its DX line (beats me why). PocketBook aren't using the latest pearl eInk screen. I don't know why Sony is ignoring this market, this is a niche they could really dominate.

I agree. I'd snap up a 9.7 inch Sony in a heartbeat.

That said, I really think that my beloved Sony 505 is going to make a great present for my husband. I don't know whether I'll get the 650, or wait for the 950. I personally couldn't care less for wi-fi or 3g internet connection for my reader, however I will gladly pay the extra price for the touchscreen and multiple dictionaries combined with the new Pearl screens. These new readers look great (so far).
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 07:07 AM   #41
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
PC World says the new touch screen used "infrared optical technology". That definitely explains how it works with both fingers and stylus.
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 07:22 AM   #42
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilly View Post
Sony will still support LRF but not BBeB (DRM scheme).
The Sony style website says that the 650 will support BBeB with and without DRM.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 07:32 AM   #43
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhadin View Post
I thought it was pretty clear that Sony's strategy is to be the leader everywhere but in the U.S. That is, it is taking a global look rather than a U.S.-centric look.

I personally plan on buying the new 950. The price is high, but I've had my 505 for nearly 3 years without a single problem and my wife wants it. If the 950 gives me the same service -- 3 years without a problem -- I will feel that the price was justified. I tend to weigh quality higher than price, not that price isn't important -- it's just not controlling.

The one issue I want resolved is to know whether the ADE/ePub has been updated will give me access to B&N as well as the Sony bookstore.
No, the new Sony's will not allow for B&N's DRM. You will still have to strip the B&N DRM to get eBooks from B&N on a Sony.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 07:36 AM   #44
aagstn
Evangelist
aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3, iPad mini 2
Nice looking devices, but too expensive. Really don't want to be touching the screen I'm reading on and at least wi-fi is a must. Can't see getting one of these in the US over the Kindle or Nook.
aagstn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 07:39 AM   #45
scheichxodox
Zealot
scheichxodox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scheichxodox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scheichxodox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scheichxodox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scheichxodox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scheichxodox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scheichxodox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scheichxodox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scheichxodox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scheichxodox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scheichxodox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi
I think this fits very well. Sony missed the chance to work it out with Epub: Epub is doomed.

That would be another argument for the Kindle 3. If I have to strip DRM or convert my ebooks using calibre then I can as well do it on the cheaper Kindle.
scheichxodox is offline   Reply With Quote