Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 10-15-2012, 10:13 PM   #121
benqtitle
benqtitle began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by guma View Post
all menu and library related operations in 2.1.4. are generally much more responsive compared to older versions. 2.1.4. also seems to be afffected by less blatant bugs (it's far from bug-free though). The font fine-tuning is a nice feature too.

On the other hand, when upgrading from 1.9.17, you might be annoyed by the new home screen layout which has quite a bit of very visible store related stuff and the (forced) hyphenation leads to very ugly results in some languages (this can be fixed though by manually editing the update files).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaden View Post
+ fonts fine tuning for preloaded fonts (weight and sharpness), not available for sideloaded fonts
+ shelves (2.1.4 adds the possibility to add a book from the books menu)
+ improved dictionary usability (translation/definition by tapping on a word for about 2 seconds)
+ 2.1.4 lets you decide which of the dictionaries you want to have installed
+ you can mark more than one word now and look it up (though I don't know if there are any translations/definitions in English - could be useful for Japanese, though)
+ hyphenation
+ view details lets you read the books description from the meta data (if there is one, of course) and also lets you rate your books (I think that's new, too, the rating...)
+ support for Japanese (interface, keyboard, dictionary, 2 new fonts for Japanese)

~ wishlist (which is rather useless to me since I can only add books recommended to me)
~ find books similar to those you are reading
~ new homescreen design with Read and Discover tabs (don't know how to feel about it, since the favorites are gone from the homepage as well, but now there's a large tap displaying your wishlist on the bottom)

- hearts to mark favorites are gone (2.1.4, you can still add books to favorites using the shelves menu, but I still think that was a bad decision to remove them)
- you can't select cover display seperately for sleep and power off anymore (2.1.4)
- chapter progress bar is gone (2.1.4)
- the ability to open the highlight menu introduced in 2.0.0 is gone in 2.1.4
- several fonts are completely gone (Delima, Felbridge, Times New Roman). You can add them manually, but...
- sideloaded fonts don't look very good anymore (too thin, no finetuning possible)

That and possibly some minor changes that I can't recall at the moment. Plus a few bugs, as usual... (See the other 2.1.4 thread...)

I hope they will reverse some of the "minus changes" in a future version and bring back the hearts and chapter progress bar at least...
Thanks guys, it looks promising and worth a try. I already have a backup of 1.9.17 and hope I won't need it this time.
benqtitle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 06:06 AM   #122
the.Mtn.Man
Guru
the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
Either when an official announcement is made or everyone else starts yelling about it appearing on their device.
The latter then. Kobo does not seem to have a handle on this whole "official announcement" thing.
the.Mtn.Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-16-2012, 10:29 AM   #123
GVC2031
Enthusiast
GVC2031 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.GVC2031 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.GVC2031 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.GVC2031 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.GVC2031 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.GVC2031 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.GVC2031 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.GVC2031 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.GVC2031 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.GVC2031 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.GVC2031 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.

Device: Kobo Glo, Kobo Mini, iPad Pro 9.7, iPad Air, iPad Mini Retina
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
...(announced be SameerH today).
Can you post a link?
GVC2031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 10:31 AM   #124
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Quote:
Originally Posted by GVC2031 View Post
Can you post a link?
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...45#post2263845
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 03:11 PM   #125
GVC2031
Enthusiast
GVC2031 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.GVC2031 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.GVC2031 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.GVC2031 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.GVC2031 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.GVC2031 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.GVC2031 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.GVC2031 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.GVC2031 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.GVC2031 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.GVC2031 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.

Device: Kobo Glo, Kobo Mini, iPad Pro 9.7, iPad Air, iPad Mini Retina
Thanks, but isn't that in reference to the Glo?
GVC2031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-16-2012, 04:01 PM   #126
nogle
Gangnam style!
nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by GVC2031 View Post
Thanks, but isn't that in reference to the Glo?
I believe that the code is shared across the devices.
nogle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 06:10 PM   #127
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by nogle View Post
I believe that the code is shared across the devices.
That is correct. The same firmware currently runs on the Glo, Touch and Mini.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 08:53 PM   #128
Bookpossum
Snoozing in the sun
Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, Kobo Touch
My firmware has just downloaded here in Melbourne. Just in time for going on holidays - hooray!
Bookpossum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 03:24 AM   #129
echwel
Connoisseur
echwel is a rising star in the heavensechwel is a rising star in the heavensechwel is a rising star in the heavensechwel is a rising star in the heavensechwel is a rising star in the heavensechwel is a rising star in the heavensechwel is a rising star in the heavensechwel is a rising star in the heavensechwel is a rising star in the heavensechwel is a rising star in the heavensechwel is a rising star in the heavens

Device: Kobo Sage, Kobo Forma (sold), Kobo Aura One, Kobo Glo, Kobo Touch
My Touch updated yesterday late in the evening in The Netherlands (sticker on the box indicates a Belgian origin). Version 2.1.5. Actually, the notes mention that my device is on version 2.1.4 ("you are on version 2.1.4 now"!) like written on MR before. I know better, but not changing the notes at a minor bugchange is one thing, letting them say that a device is on an other version than it actually is, is an other.

By the way, what a major improvement in speed over version 2.0.0.
echwel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 03:26 AM   #130
jusmee
Wizard
jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Libre 2
Yes, very much faster then 2.0.0
jusmee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 03:33 AM   #131
Tintin
Enthusiast
Tintin has a spectacular aura aboutTintin has a spectacular aura aboutTintin has a spectacular aura aboutTintin has a spectacular aura aboutTintin has a spectacular aura aboutTintin has a spectacular aura aboutTintin has a spectacular aura aboutTintin has a spectacular aura aboutTintin has a spectacular aura aboutTintin has a spectacular aura aboutTintin has a spectacular aura about

Device: Kobo Glo
Finally got it this morning via desktop. Am in UK. Version 2.1.4. So far so good, look forward to testing!
Tintin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 03:56 AM   #132
cehem
cehem began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch
I got the 2.1.5 update this morning (in France) and my first impression is awesome: all actions are smooth and responsive, it's a pleasure to turn pages now ^^

thanks Kobo
cehem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 04:52 AM   #133
Mrs_Often
Wizard
Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Glo, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by echwel View Post
My Touch updated yesterday late in the evening in The Netherlands (sticker on the box indicates a Belgian origin). Version 2.1.5. Actually, the notes mention that my device is on version 2.1.4 ("you are on version 2.1.4 now"!) like written on MR before. I know better, but not changing the notes at a minor bugchange is one thing, letting them say that a device is on an other version than it actually is, is an other.

By the way, what a major improvement in speed over version 2.0.0.
Hah!! I thought 2.1.5 hadn't arrived in the Netherlands yet, as I was syncing over wifi multiple times a day (I'm so impatient) but hadn't got it yet. Syncing via Desktop instead, and here it comes!

So strange, that desktop would give it to me but wifi sync would not... Does Wifi only *really* check if it has something to sync?
Mrs_Often is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 04:53 AM   #134
jusmee
Wizard
jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Libre 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs_Often View Post
So strange, that desktop would give it to me but wifi sync would not... Does Wifi only *really* check if it has something to sync?
It does here. That's how I get all my updates.
jusmee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 06:21 AM   #135
lioslaith
Zealot
lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505, Kindle, Kobo Vox/Glo, Nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tintin View Post
Finally got it this morning via desktop. Am in UK. Version 2.1.4. So far so good, look forward to testing!
I'm in the UK too and my Mum's Touch is updating as I type. Looking forward to checking it out.
lioslaith is offline   Reply With Quote