Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 03-15-2014, 12:55 AM   #1
blu-
Enthusiast
blu- knows what's going on.blu- knows what's going on.blu- knows what's going on.blu- knows what's going on.blu- knows what's going on.blu- knows what's going on.blu- knows what's going on.blu- knows what's going on.blu- knows what's going on.blu- knows what's going on.blu- knows what's going on.

Device: prs 650
Are there ereaders that allow custom dictionaries?

I have a Sony 650 which I love, except that the dictionary is pretty limited in definitions. I would love it if I can somehow get dictionary.com's database on a device.
blu- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 08:12 PM   #2
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
I don't think dictionary.com has an ebook version available. There are lots of dictionaries available for Kindle. It comes with 2 very good English dictionaries.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-19-2014, 03:52 PM   #3
EndlessWaves
Zealot
EndlessWaves juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseEndlessWaves juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseEndlessWaves juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseEndlessWaves juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseEndlessWaves juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseEndlessWaves juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseEndlessWaves juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseEndlessWaves juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseEndlessWaves juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseEndlessWaves juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseEndlessWaves juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercise

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Kobo also allows custom dictionaries.
EndlessWaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 06:00 PM   #4
dordale
Wizard
dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 & 350; Kindle Voyage; Kobo Aura HD, Aura One, and Forma
I'm surprised that you think the Sony 650's dictionary is limited. The English dictionaries on the Sony 650 are the New Oxford American Dictionary and the Oxford Dictionary of English. I find them both to be very good--they are actually the same English dictionaries that come with the Kindle (at least the Paperwhite).

One thing I do notice though with the Sony is that a lot of times it won't find variations of words--for example if the word I'm looking up is "nodded" the Sony won't find it until I actually open up the dictionary and delete the "ded" from the end and look up "nod". On the other hand, the Kindle's dictionary is much better at this--looking up "nodded" automatically brings up the definition for "nod".
dordale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 06:10 PM   #5
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
I agree with dordale. Both the Kindle & Sony are regarded to have the best dictionaries, but I have noticed that the Sony (at least my 350, not sure if the newer models are better?) isn't very good with variations of words, but my PW doesn't have this problem - just like dordale says.
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert