Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 08-03-2021, 09:49 AM   #1216
atonement
Zealot
atonement began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by hius07 View Post
Okay.
As you asked, you can try checking battery level even during screensaver (suspend).
Comment (put -- (two minus signs) in the beginning of the line) lines 317 and 322.
Unless your device blocks any program activities while sleeping.

If it works as expected and doesn't cause extra battery drain, we can discuss adding an option, sort of "Ignore suspend" (off by default, for sure).

Alert message is shown over the screensaver, but it is not clickable until device is unlocked.
It works. Thanks again. Need to check if idle drain is any worse or not.
P.S. There's no way to limit the max battery charge level in Kindles then? In my rooted Android devices I can either make use of a charging control file or just limit the max. charging voltage (voltage_max).
Edit: While idle drain wasn't affected at all, active drain was noticeably higher. Up from 0.9%/h to nearly 1.5%/h.

Last edited by atonement; 08-19-2021 at 08:03 AM.
atonement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2021, 04:24 AM   #1217
Kusuri
Connoisseur
Kusuri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kusuri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kusuri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kusuri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kusuri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kusuri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kusuri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kusuri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kusuri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kusuri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kusuri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4+Fire 7", Onyx Boox Nova Air
hey i currently try to change the font in pdf files on my Kindle PW4 but for some reason there is no option to change the font anywhere for pdf's.. but on the internet i did read you can change the font style for pdf's. do i do something wrong or is it just not possible?

i first expected it is maybe my specific pdf file that is faulty, but then i created a simple pdf with just text on it and i had the same issue with this pdf file that only had text. if i open .mobi files i can choose the font, but while i have a pdf open.. nothing. the option is just not present
Kusuri is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-22-2021, 04:26 AM   #1218
Frenzie
Wizard
Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
That's not possible. PDFs are a lot like paper.

(Depending on the type of PDF you could change the font in a specialized PDF editor like Adobe Acrobat.)
Frenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2021, 04:48 AM   #1219
Kusuri
Connoisseur
Kusuri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kusuri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kusuri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kusuri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kusuri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kusuri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kusuri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kusuri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kusuri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kusuri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kusuri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenzie View Post
That's not possible. PDFs are a lot like paper.
why shouldn't it? there are many pdf viewers who let you change the font.

note: i don't talk about pdf with images of text. i talk about regular text in a pdf. you can select and copy the text, and every pdf viewer i know about lets you choose a font.

it 100% should be possible - there are even postings on the internet where people say they can change the font on their pdf files in koreader. also i can even choose a font in android apps like Librera, Moon+ Reader etc.
Old 08-22-2021, 05:19 AM   #1220
Frenzie
Wizard
Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I indicated that it's theoretically possible on the right kind of document.

It's not that hard in principle (for a certain value of not hard), but I believe you'd have to rewrite the document, which could take a while on a poor little ereader. See here (except we use our own FFI bindings to MuPDF, but the general principle would be the same). Or you could do it on a page by page basis; in any case it'd involve quite a few moving parts with the associated added maintenance complexity and performance penalty. And last but certainly not least, we're not actually using MuPDF 1.16 yet.

But thanks for saying Librera does it; it could be worth checking if they do it as sketched above or if there's a more clever method.

Last edited by Frenzie; 08-22-2021 at 05:23 AM.
Advert
Old 08-22-2021, 05:28 AM   #1221
Kusuri
Connoisseur

Quote:
But thanks for saying Librera does it; it could be worth checking if they do it as sketched above or if there's a more clever method.
i'm not sure if it did work without reflowing, but if you reflow the text you can do it for sure. i often used that feature on my android phone before i had my new kindle

but if you extract the text data from the pdf file and then render the text onto the display.. shouldn't you be able to just choose a different font for this rendering in theory? because if you open a regular pdf without a special font, after all there is a font it is using default.. so couldn't you just be able to switch this font out at the rendering phase?

i don't know how exactly Koreader handles pdf files so i'm not sure if this would work that way, so i just assume here.. but that's how i would think it could be done (if you have access to the code which does this)

edit: oh, Koreader is using MuPDF.. okay, didn't knew that. that makes it more complicated i guess.

sorry that i acted like that in my previous post - i just did read online on reddit etc that there is already a option to change the font (rendering) for pdf's.. but it seems this was fake news then :s

Last edited by Kusuri; 08-22-2021 at 05:33 AM.
Old 08-22-2021, 05:32 AM   #1222
Frenzie
Wizard

Everything can be done in theory, but unless you have someone who's willing to spend at least several days on it…

Edit: on that note, took a quick peek and saw:
Quote:
The implementation details of fzfonts are still in flux, so it would be inappro-priate to document them in any more detail at the moment

Last edited by Frenzie; 08-22-2021 at 05:38 AM.
Old 08-22-2021, 05:39 AM   #1223
Kusuri
Connoisseur

Quote:
Everything can be done in theory, but unless you have someone who's willing to spend at least several days on it…

i understand that it would be a lot of work, and i also understand that its not really a priority. i just assumed in my initial posting that this would be already implemented and i'm just too dumb to enable / configurate it or something. a lot of postings i found said it would be already implemented into koreader and people said they did change that setting on their device.. so i was confused by your first answer - sorry didn't knew it isn't implemented yet

so... thanks for the quick response to my question and the help
Old 09-04-2021, 08:12 AM   #1224
atonement
Zealot

Is there an option to keep the frontlight disabled by default?
Old 09-04-2021, 08:38 AM   #1225
Frenzie
Wizard

What exactly are you asking and on which system? The frontlight is generally neither on nor off by default.
Old 09-04-2021, 09:41 AM   #1226
atonement
Zealot

Quote:
What exactly are you asking and on which system? The frontlight is generally neither on nor off by default.
Kindle Paperwhite 3. I meant is there an option to keep the frontlight disabled by default? It usually follows the system default and I keep forgetting to disable it often.
Old 09-04-2021, 11:27 AM   #1227
hius07
Wizard
hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, PW3, PW4, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by atonement View Post
Is there an option to keep the frontlight disabled by default?
In the Profiles plugin you can set a profile to autostart.
Do any actions in it.
hius07 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2021, 10:54 PM   #1228
atonement
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by hius07 View Post
In the Profiles plugin you can set a profile to autostart.
Do any actions in it.
Thanks. I set frontlight to "00".
Old 09-05-2021, 01:26 AM   #1229
minbh7373
minbh7373 began at the beginning.

Questions about koreader

Hey, I have tons of questions about koreader, cz it's my last hope..

To be straightforward, my goal is to have an ebook reader that

1. uses this translation site(papago translator)
https://papago.naver.com/?sk=ko&tk=e...A0%B9%ED%99%94

2. shows the result of translation when I highlight a sentence
3. is possible to use the all default functions of the ebook.
4. is convenient to take memos and save them to an external note application.

I have a kindle(pw3) which I succeeded in hacking and I successfully downloaded koreader, but I was not really happy about it.

The ultimate reason why I hacked kindle was to read books using papago translator, but I couldn't even use google translator properly using koreader. I tried to change the target language through modifying files of koreader in kindle, but it did not go well. Although, even if I succeeded in accomplishing the goals 1. and 2. above, I would have been unhappy about the fact that I have to keep the kindle in airplane mode and give up all the other goodies of the original kindle.

However, I got to know that I can also use koreader on kobo. So these are my questions;

1. Am I able to use the google translator function using koreader on kobo? How can I change the target language while reading?
2. Am I able to modify the google translator file of koreader on kobo and replace that with papago translator?
3. Is koreader convenient to take memos and send them to an external note application?
4. Will there be options other than koreader to achieve my goals?
minbh7373 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2021, 04:41 AM   #1230
Frenzie
Wizard

While KOReader is probably best on Kobo, it shouldn't be any different than on Kindle for anything you mentioned.

Besides the stock reading software, your main other options on Kobo are vlasovsoft coolreader and Plato.

Tags
application, k5 tools, kindle, koreader, launcher add-ons, lua, reader, touch