Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 12-17-2016, 02:16 PM   #1
parbour
parbour began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW3
Smile paperwhite 3 can't get KUAL

Hi All,
I've surfed through most of the posts on the forum and am stuck.

So far I've managed to downgrade, and Jailbreak my PW3 G090G105

But I can't get KUAL to work, no matter what I do.

I see details that mmk isn't needed, some that it is, etc.. Either way I put the update files for MMK, and KUAL onto the kindle and they just vanish without getting updated.

I know the update mechanism is working because I put an incorrect update file onto it, and I got a notice that I had put an invalid update on it.

I'd like to write out the steps I took and properly document the procedure once I get done, but I'm missing a key step here somewhere.

I'm on FW 5.7.4 if that makes any difference.
parbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2016, 02:23 PM   #2
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by parbour View Post
Hi All,
I've surfed through most of the posts on the forum and am stuck.

So far I've managed to downgrade, and Jailbreak my PW3 G090G105

But I can't get KUAL to work, no matter what I do.

I see details that mmk isn't needed, some that it is, etc.. Either way I put the update files for MMK, and KUAL onto the kindle and they just vanish without getting updated.

I know the update mechanism is working because I put an incorrect update file onto it, and I got a notice that I had put an invalid update on it.

I'd like to write out the steps I took and properly document the procedure once I get done, but I'm missing a key step here somewhere.

I'm on FW 5.7.4 if that makes any difference.
You MUST follow ALL steps exactly, without modification.
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=275877
ALL steps, IN ORDER.

And when you are done, I would like to know specifically how the procedure is not already "documented properly".
It is.
All you have to do is follow the directions, top to bottom.

Do not mix those instructions with any other that you might find here or on the web.
Those ARE the only instructions that you need, nothing is left for you to invent yourself.

Last edited by knc1; 12-17-2016 at 02:25 PM.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-18-2016, 09:19 AM   #3
parbour
parbour began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW3
Thumbs up I think I'm fixed

Aha. The key I believe I missed was when you said that one COULD update the firmware, but it appears one MUST update the firmware before KUAL will work.
Following each step, irrelevant of my own personal judgement and bias worked

It's all good now!
parbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2016, 09:29 AM   #4
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by parbour View Post
Aha. The key I believe I missed was when you said that one COULD update the firmware, but it appears one MUST update the firmware before KUAL will work.
Following each step, irrelevant of my own personal judgement and bias worked

It's all good now!
A change in version number IS NOT REQUIRED.

A change from FACTORY to CONSUMER firmware is required for our existing add-ins.
That is, if the factory image is firmware version 5.4.3.2, you can install consumer 5.4.3.2 (notice, no change in version number, just a change in the firmware's purpose).

It is optional for those who want to explore the features of what Amazon/Lab126 does not think the consumer needs to know about.
Old 12-18-2016, 01:31 PM   #5
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
@knc1: I got tripped up by the same thing as OP. Maybe the instruction should be changed from "now you can update to a newer firmware" to "now you NEED to update to a customer firmware in order to run KUAL and install any of our hacks".** Because "can" to most people means "able to" or "is allowed to", but it's optional, as in: "you can now unfasten your seatbelt and move about the cabin" but if you want to stay seated that's fine too.

** I think it's safe to assume that if someone goes through all the previous steps they are intending next to run kual and install other hacks.
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-18-2016, 03:44 PM   #6
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barty View Post
@knc1: I got tripped up by the same thing as OP. Maybe the instruction should be changed from "now you can update to a newer firmware" to "now you NEED to update to a customer firmware in order to run KUAL and install any of our hacks".** Because "can" to most people means "able to" or "is allowed to", but it's optional, as in: "you can now unfasten your seatbelt and move about the cabin" but if you want to stay seated that's fine too.

** I think it's safe to assume that if someone goes through all the previous steps they are intending next to run kual and install other hacks.
That is a reasonable suggestion - - -
Although what you illustrate is exactly what I meant.

The problem seems to be the over-use of the word "update" -
The first thought is: "increase the firmware version number".

People who have been reading here before accept that in some cases that means an actual decrease in version number.

We are past that bump in the use of "update" -

But now we have the even more general usage of update meaning: "use what the GUI calls an update function" (regardless of what is actually being done to the firmware installation).

At the moment, that is just too much of a stretch with all the uses of the same word to mean different end results.
I need to fix that someway - probably re-word things wherever the word "update" now appears.

Plus the possible misunderstanding of what the image names mean I wrote about, when?, last week?
The "factory initial" -> being read as:
the initial version of the firmware shipped by the factory,
rather than:
the firmware initially installed for factory use, prior to shipment.

So I agree, even after six months, there are still some rough edges that I should fix.
Old 12-19-2016, 09:46 PM   #7
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
Yeah, it's tricky. Maybe something like: "now, you need to install a normal (consumer) firmware for your device using the same "update your kindle" method in step ___. You can download the latest firmware for your device from Amazon's web site."

Of course i don't know if it's safe to tell people to get whatever the latest firmware is at the moment. Another complication.
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 08:40 AM   #8
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barty View Post
Yeah, it's tricky. Maybe something like: "now, you need to install a normal (consumer) firmware for your device using the same "update your kindle" method in step ___. You can download the latest firmware for your device from Amazon's web site."

Of course i don't know if it's safe to tell people to get whatever the latest firmware is at the moment. Another complication.
I had a nightmare last night.

Acronyms Used
  • UYK :: Literally: Update Your Kindle. Implies: SIoAI
    Meaning the menu (or panel) entry in the Settings section of the GUI.
    This entry starts the installation of an Amazon (only) update file placed in the topmost level of visible, USB, storage.
    Notes:
    • U :: Update
      Once restricted to the literal meaning.
      Now means: Start
    • Y :: Your
      Empty of meaning, there never has been a button that would that Update someone else's Kindle.
      Now means: Installation of
    • K :: Kindle
      Empty of meaning, there never has been a button that would Update any other device than the Kindle it is displayed on.
      Now means: Amazon Image
    Although packages containing Mobileread after market add-ins include the word 'update' in their filenames, this menu entry will not install them.
Further details can be found at:
http://www.acronymfinder.com/~/searc...K&string=exact
Which you can see (at the time this was written) that there isn't much help for this Acronym.

Amazon

Last edited by knc1; 12-20-2016 at 08:46 AM.