Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 02-01-2016, 11:40 PM   #1
battermann
battermann began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle paperwhite 2
Making apps for the kindle paperwhite and kual

Hi. I would like to make some small apps on my kindle paperwhite. I have jailbroken my kindle and installed KUAL. I have read and researched about this topic, but I still find it difficult to begin.

this is what i know by looking in some of the extension folders:
- you can change the name of an extension in the kual app by changing the menu.json file which also runs the .sh files in the bin folder.
- the kindle can run bash commands.
- the kindle is a linux system.
- the kindle can run python? (I want to make a python app and test it on my kindle).
- I have read somewhere that if it can run on linux-arm-something then it can run on the kindle.

Is there a sort of hello world/noob guide or could anyone elaborate on how this works?
battermann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 12:14 AM   #2
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Originally Posted by battermann View Post
Hi. I would like to make some small apps on my kindle paperwhite. I have jailbroken my kindle and installed KUAL. I have read and researched about this topic, but I still find it difficult to begin.

this is what i know by looking in some of the extension folders:
- you can change the name of an extension in the kual app by changing the menu.json file which also runs the .sh files in the bin folder.
Seeing how other extensions work is a good idea.

But of course take a look at the documentation as well: KUAL_What's_New#Extension_Files
(This was linked from the thread with the Screenshot Migrate extension I pointed you toward yesterday.)

Quote:
- the kindle can run bash commands.
- the kindle is a linux system.
- the kindle can run python? (I want to make a python app and test it on my kindle).
The Kindle does not come with python, but there is a version of python compiled for the Kindle which is posted together with the Screensavers hack (since the cover-as-screensaver functionality requires python).

Quote:
- I have read somewhere that if it can run on linux-arm-something then it can run on the kindle.

Is there a sort of hello world/noob guide or could anyone elaborate on how this works?
As the Kindle is just an ARM device with customized firmware, anything that runs on ARM will run on the Kindle, assuming it is statically linked or you are very careful to make sure it is linked against libraries that are actually on the Kindle...
Pretty much standard operating policy in that regard.

Many utilities which you might want to use are distributed as static binaries, for that reason.

Just drop the binary in the extension folder, and have the entry in menu.json execute it.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-02-2016, 01:09 AM   #3
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by battermann View Post
- - - -
I have read somewhere that if it can run on linux-arm-something then it can run on the kindle.
Sort-of, but you really need the correct triplet ( -something isn't going to work).

Since you are very, very new to this - - -
You mention the Kindle Paperwhite, your info box says: PW-2 ...
Well let me be general, any "5 series" device (K5 .. KV) -
Anything from the Debian packages for release "Wheezy", see:
https://packages.debian.org/wheezy/
When you drill down to something you want, towards the bottom of the page you will find a chart - -
Pick from the ARMEL row (ARM, little endian, soft float) -
those match the system software installed.

Those are already 'built' applications (about 13,000 of them, if I recall correctly).
Many (most?) will depend on other applications and/or libraries.

Twobob has posted some utilities (with many examples) to deal with Debian packages and for finding their dependancies.

- - - -

In addition to Python (which you can get by installing our screensavers package) -
The "5 series" devices have lua installed (specificly, Lua-5.1).
A very simple, yet powerful scripting language:
http://www.lua.org/manual/5.1/

- - - -

Screen interactive programs?
The "5 series" Kindles have GTK+ installed.
You will find a lot of examples of GTK+ applications already ported to the Kindle posted here.
Twobob did a lot of that work also.

At a lower level - the "5 series" devices all run X11
google that name

- - - -

If you want something more recent that "Wheezy" from Debian, you will have to install support for ARMhf (ARM hard float).
I have posted a thread on that subject, along with the system libraries.
My thread tackles the subject of running both ARMel and ARMhf programs on the same machine, concurrently.

Now those prebuilt system libraries will support anything as recent as Debian "Jessie" (and in some cases "Stretch").

- - - -

If you want something to run on your Kindle, always look here first.
There is a lot of work already done and posted here.
If you don't find what your interested in here, start a thread on the subject -
It very well could be that you just missed it.

Since the members of this forum strongly encourage "Open Source" software - the source is available for nearly everything here.
A great study guide (as working examples) of how to make things work.

Nearly all of the KUAL 'buttons' (extensions) are scripted, rather than compiled, applications.
Another great "worked examples" study guide.

KUAL itself is a combination of scripting and Java.
(yes, the Kindles have Java pre-installed)

And, of course, we have a Wiki at this site.

Last edited by knc1; 02-02-2016 at 01:18 AM.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 07:03 AM   #4
PieMan597
Still a pie
PieMan597 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PieMan597 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PieMan597 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PieMan597 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PieMan597 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PieMan597 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PieMan597 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PieMan597 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PieMan597 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PieMan597 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PieMan597 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch, OnePlus 7 Pro
You can also compile C code for the Kindle, either cross-compiling it, or using this, a c compiler that can be run on the Kindle.
PieMan597 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 04:23 AM   #5
battermann
battermann began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle paperwhite 2
Forgot to say thanks thank You for all the replies. A great help
battermann is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert

Tags
kindle