Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Uploads - Patricia Clark Memorial Library > Upload Help

Notices

Old 05-14-2014, 07:33 PM   #1
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T3, Kobo Glo, Kindle Touch, iPad, Samsung SB 2 tablet
Naughty words

I hope this is not off topic here, but I don't know where else to ask.

I'm working on a collection of three plays by Aristophanes - The Acharnians, Peace, and Lysistrata - taken from the anonymous translation from the Athenian Society via Project Gutenberg. They all (especially Lysistrata) contain lots of naughty words and situations. Will there be any problems with that on MobileRead?

The ebook will probably be ready for upload by the end of the month. Should there be a warning about the naughty words?
AlexBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 08:53 AM   #2
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Moderator Notice
Moved to Upload Help from ePub Requests
Jellby is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-15-2014, 03:35 PM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
That's absolutely no problem at all. These are classic comedies - please do upload them!
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 07:25 PM   #4
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks, Harry

I think I'll add some kind of a warning though; I think some people may be offended if they come across the naughty words unexpectedly.
Old 05-20-2014, 12:57 PM   #5
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
You'll never please everyone Alex. I mean people like Thomas Bowdler even went to the extreme of changing Shakespeare's words to remove words that they considered offensive to women and children in the 19th century for example. Others have even tried to rewrite C.S. Lewis' Narnia books to remove the Christian allegory that they object to (don't know how they can do that without destroying the books) and I have no doubt there will be people even in the future who will do similar cutting of the written word. I don't think you can do that without destroying what the author created myself. If you change Shakespeare then it's no longer Shakespeare, but some sort of adaptation of what he wrote. Likewise if you change what Aristophanes wrote (aside from translating) by substituting words I think you lose the flavor of what he intended. His words have been around for several thousand years though. How can anyone think to have authority to change them? Not that I'm implying that you are of course. Just that some people would say change this and that etc.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-23-2014, 04:41 AM   #6
AlexBell
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by crich70 View Post
You'll never please everyone Alex.
That I certainly agree with. I wouldn't dream of bowdlerising the text, but can think of half a dozen people I know who would be very offended if they stumbled on the text as is. It just seemed courteous to let them know of the possibility that they may be offended. It's their choice of course whether they read the text, but at least they know what to expect.

On the other hand I have read some people who would be very offended that I have given the warning. If I understand them correctly they see such a warning as the beginning of censorship.

As you say I can't please everybody.
Old 05-23-2014, 04:50 AM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexBell View Post
On the other hand I have read some people who would be very offended that I have given the warning. If I understand them correctly they see such a warning as the beginning of censorship.

I don't see why anyone would be offended by a warning. It seems like a sensible idea.
Old 05-23-2014, 03:34 PM   #8
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
That I certainly agree with. I wouldn't dream of bowdlerising the text, but can think of half a dozen people I know who would be very offended if they stumbled on the text as is. It just seemed courteous to let them know of the possibility that they may be offended. It's their choice of course whether they read the text, but at least they know what to expect.

I agree, and I am not saying that you can't/shouldn't put up such a warning if you wish to. Like you said though some will even find fault with you having done so as they will be offended by the idea that any such warning is needed. On the other hand some will be offended if you don't put up a warning and they come across the book. There is no way to win in such a situation. Of course I wonder how they can expect an author who wrote something several thousand years ago to have the same viewpoint as them as to what is proper for people to read or hear. The moral structure of Ancient Greece was a lot different in some ways to what later societies thought was proper. And even later on not every text was written with a "christian" viewpoint in mind. Just look at the Canterbury Tales as an example. Plenty of "immoral" activities going on there in an age where pilgrimages to shrines was something that everyone was supposed to try to do at least once in their lifetime. And the Decameron is another example. Those who think our ancestors were more pious than modern man delude themselves (I think). Man hasn't changed much since the time of the Ancient Greeks.
Old 05-23-2014, 03:47 PM   #9
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Some people are just looking for reasons to complain about the world in general. Possibly the same people will complain either way .

How they can possibly equate a description with censorship, I do not know. But my opinion is, they are welcome to feel offended. No one cares.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 05:21 PM   #10
SBT
Fanatic
SBT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SBT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SBT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SBT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SBT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SBT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SBT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SBT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SBT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SBT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SBT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: prs-t1, tablet, Nook Simple, assorted kindles, iPad
Well, I find the whole discussion completely ¤%&/(§!...

Sorry. Tried to stop myself, but the pun was just lying there to be picked up...
Besides, I've lived too long in northern Norway, where linguists use the positioning of swear words in sentences as a dialectical indicator (and that's a #¤% fact!)
SBT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 02:51 AM   #11
AlexBell
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post

How they can possibly equate a description with censorship, I do not know. But my opinion is, they are welcome to feel offended. No one cares.
To be fair to the people who worry about warnings being creeping censorship I seem to remember that they were worrying about mandatory warnings. I'd forgotten that when I did the post; the memory struggled up to the surface last night.
Old 05-26-2014, 08:30 AM   #12
crich70
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
Some people are just looking for reasons to complain about the world in general. Possibly the same people will complain either way .

Too true. My dad always used to say, "Some people would complain if they were hung with a new rope." I think he was right on the money there.
Old 05-26-2014, 12:17 PM   #13
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by crich70 View Post
Too true. My dad always used to say, "Some people would complain if they were hung with a new rope." I think he was right on the money there.
Better, Some people would kick if they were hung with a new rope.
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 02:28 PM   #14
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

People are hanged; pictures are hung. It's one of those strange quirks of the Enhlish language that one always uses "hanged" when referring to the method of execution.
Old 05-29-2014, 04:42 PM   #15
crich70
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
People are hanged; pictures are hung. It's one of those strange quirks of the Enhlish language that one always uses "hanged" when referring to the method of execution.
Well it was my dad's saying. He had a number of such nuggets of wisdom. Another was "some people get their (driver's) license out of a crackerjack box." The older I get the more I have to agree with him on some things.