Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 06-25-2013, 02:40 AM   #1
mcmay
mcmay , Klaatu Barada Niktu!mcmay , Klaatu Barada Niktu!mcmay , Klaatu Barada Niktu!mcmay , Klaatu Barada Niktu!mcmay , Klaatu Barada Niktu!mcmay , Klaatu Barada Niktu!mcmay , Klaatu Barada Niktu!mcmay , Klaatu Barada Niktu!mcmay , Klaatu Barada Niktu!mcmay , Klaatu Barada Niktu!mcmay , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Kindle DXG, iPad2, SAMSUNG NOTE II
Question Trouble quitting vi without ESC key on DXG

Hi, friends! Following the instructions for installing kiterm (K3) on Kindle 3, I successfully installed this terminal and launched it on my DXG. (intallation instruction page https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=125860) And it went all well until I invoked vi from the command line and found myself unable to quit this editor without the ESC key. I checked the keydefs.ini and couldn't find any key mapping for ESC on Kindle DXG. There was the keymap of Esc for K3 (Left>, which DXG doesn't have). I've tried to modify the launchpad.ini file in the kiterm folder and changed the mapping "TermEsc = Left>" into "TermEsc = Right>" while the machine was connected to my PC through USB stroage. However, this didn't work due to the fact that while still in operation, the app doesn't refresh its configuration and applies the updates. Worse, while the terminal is running, all the other functions (includding Home, Menu, etc.) are rendered inactive so that I couldn't manage a restart to kill the active process. Up to now, I'm still trapped and can't find any path for me to leave vi and return to the command line interface. Please help me with a way of exiting the running vi.
Many thanks in advance for your concern and help!

Last edited by mcmay; 06-25-2013 at 02:48 AM.
mcmay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 03:11 AM   #2
hawhill
Wizard
hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Mini
I guess your only option is a reset (i.e. long hold of the power slider) now. If you mounted your root file system r/w before starting vi, knock on wood...
hawhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-25-2013, 03:21 AM   #3
mcmay
mcmay , Klaatu Barada Niktu!mcmay , Klaatu Barada Niktu!mcmay , Klaatu Barada Niktu!mcmay , Klaatu Barada Niktu!mcmay , Klaatu Barada Niktu!mcmay , Klaatu Barada Niktu!mcmay , Klaatu Barada Niktu!mcmay , Klaatu Barada Niktu!mcmay , Klaatu Barada Niktu!mcmay , Klaatu Barada Niktu!mcmay , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawhill View Post
I guess your only option is a reset (i.e. long hold of the power slider) now. If you mounted your root file system r/w before starting vi, knock on wood...
Thank you, hawhill. If you refer to 'reset' in the usual sense of holding the power slider long enough to turn kindle off, I'd tried resetting but to no avail. I didn't mount my root file system r/w and I started vi just for a try. I guess I may just wait for my kindle to run out of power if that means a complete turnoff.
Old 06-25-2013, 04:51 AM   #4
hawhill
Wizard
hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

There's no real reason why the hold-slider way shouldn't work - it's kind of "hardware" reset, which means it's a dedicated chip that controls power (the PMIC) and which triggers this. It might be necessary to keep the slider pulled for up to two minutes, though.
Old 06-25-2013, 04:55 AM   #5
Matan
Enthusiast
Matan can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'Matan can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'Matan can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'Matan can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'Matan can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'Matan can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'Matan can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'Matan can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'Matan can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'Matan can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'Matan can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'

Device: none
Do you have a key mapped to CONTROL? There are many CONTROL- sequences that enter command mode, the most common is CONTROL-C.
Matan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-25-2013, 04:58 AM   #6
hawhill
Wizard

Oh, right: Ctrl-[ is equivalent to ESC! I don't know if it's possible to press this, though. "vi" is especially nasty when it comes to the classig CTRL-C or CTRL-D or CTRL-Z combinations. Though many versions will jump into command mode for CTRL-C, so it's at least worth a try. If CTRL is mapped, that is.
Old 06-25-2013, 06:38 AM   #7
mcmay

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawhill View Post
There's no real reason why the hold-slider way shouldn't work - it's kind of "hardware" reset, which means it's a dedicated chip that controls power (the PMIC) and which triggers this. It might be necessary to keep the slider pulled for up to two minutes, though.
Thank you, dear hawhill. I tried holding the slider for over two minutes long and it worked! Now my machine just performed a restart and the terminal vaporized. Thank you again!
Old 06-25-2013, 06:53 AM   #8
mcmay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matan View Post
Do you have a key mapped to CONTROL? There are many CONTROL- sequences that enter command mode, the most common is CONTROL-C.
Thank you for your suggestion, Matan. For DXG, I had not sligthly any idea how to map keys. The keydefs.ini and launchpad.ini I'm using are from the downloaded folder except that I changed the mappings "TermEnd = Left<" and "TermEsc = Left>" into "TermEnd = Right<" and "TermEsc = Right>". After I restarted my Kindle DXG, I found only the change "TermEnd = Right<" worked in that when I pressed Right<, the terminal did terminate. However, it is somewhat of a pity that the other change in mapping still remain ineffective. The Esc key refuses to take effect in my vi interface in the terminal. I in turn tried as many combinations of char keys and func keys as I could do within the limit of my spare time and did fortunately find a few effective combinations among many other ineffctive ones. At least, the "Menu + r (t)" combination worked the way an Esc key works in the vi. I'm still exploring other effective combinations. But my wish is that I can learn to map the keys in the way that is convenient for me (or maybe also suitable for many others).