Notices

Old 09-20-2011, 04:44 PM   #1
Fmstrat
G:RSS-Web Creator
Fmstrat began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3, PW, Nexus 4,10
Arrow Linux Web Interface - No Metadata Sent

Hi all,

I'm running Calibre on a Linux system, and have noticed some odd behavior in the web interface. Is the below normal?
  1. Load MOBI file into Calibre
  2. Retrieve metadata (title/cover/amazon codes/etc)
  3. Visit mobile port 7070 with Kindle
  4. Download MOBI
  5. MOBI is received but has the original metadata (title, no codes, etc)

I would have expected downloading from the web interface to serve up the eBook just like if it was delivered over USB or exported, with all the new metadata.

Thanks,
B.
Fmstrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 04:50 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
From the changelog of calibre 0.8.19

Content server: Update metadata when sending MOBI as well as EPUB files
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-20-2011, 04:56 PM   #3
Fmstrat

Doh! It hadn't alerted me for an update in a while apparently. Thanks!
Old 09-20-2011, 05:06 PM   #4
Fmstrat

Actually, do you have a repo that you send your latest updates to from an RPM standpoint? I noticed Fedora Updates is at 0.8.0 which is apparently what I'm running. Happy to use the binary install from your website, but just curious.
Old 09-20-2011, 05:36 PM   #5
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I do not maintain distro specific packages...that is a good way to commit hara-kiri.
Advert
Old 09-20-2011, 11:26 PM   #6
Fmstrat

Cool, I figured. Actually with the latest version installed using the binary script on your site, I can no longer download MOBI files:

Code:
500 Internal Server Error

The server encountered an unexpected condition which prevented it from fulfilling the request.

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "site-packages/cherrypy/_cprequest.py", line 606, in respond
  File "site-packages/cherrypy/_cpdispatch.py", line 25, in __call__
  File "site-packages/calibre/library/server/utils.py", line 51, in do
  File "site-packages/calibre/library/server/content.py", line 97, in get
  File "site-packages/calibre/library/server/content.py", line 221, in get_format
  File "site-packages/calibre/ebooks/metadata/meta.py", line 132, in set_metadata
  File "site-packages/calibre/customize/ui.py", line 331, in set_file_type_metadata
  File "traceback.py", line 232, in print_exc
  File "traceback.py", line 124, in print_exception
  File "traceback.py", line 13, in _print
IOError: [Errno 5] Input/output error
Other formats work fine. Any ideas? Running FC15 with updates, Python 2.7.1.

Thanks,
B.
Old 09-20-2011, 11:59 PM   #7
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

That error indicates that the server process is unable to output to stderr/stdout. Make sure you have setup those streams correctly. Run the server in a terminal to check. There is a typo that is raising the underlying error as well, which will be fixed in the next release.

Last edited by kovidgoyal; 09-21-2011 at 12:09 AM.
Old 09-21-2011, 09:43 AM   #8
Fmstrat

Thanks again! Unfortunately this led to not being able to use Calibre unless I had a terminal window open at all times. Here's some additional info if it's helpful to you or anyone else who may be browsing:

The reason Calibre needed terminal was to report an error:
Code:
Failed to set metadata for u'Test Book'
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "site-packages/calibre/customize/ui.py", line 327, in set_file_type_metadata
  File "site-packages/calibre/customize/builtins.py", line 414, in set_metadata
  File "site-packages/calibre/ebooks/metadata/epub.py", line 205, in set_metadata
  File "site-packages/calibre/ebooks/metadata/epub.py", line 111, in __init__
EPubException: not a ZIP .epub OCF container
The MOBI file did download fine, however, when the terminal was accessible. To get around this I'm piping all output of Calibre to a log file (perhaps this is something that should be done by the app?). So, first:

Code:
mkdir /var/log/calibre; chmod a+rwx /var/log/calibre
Then I changed shortcuts from:

Code:
/usr/bin/calibre
to:

Code:
/usr/bin/calibre 1> /var/log/calibre/calibre.log 2>&1 &
Thanks,
B.