Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-15-2010, 10:38 AM   #1
nessin
nessin began at the beginning.

Device: None
K3 Interface questions

Just had a couple quick questions hopefully someone can answer for me:

1) Is there any way to get the screen to display the curren time while reading a book?

2) How in the world do you access the book metadata and/or is there a way to display series information on the main home screen? At the very least (or maybe most because it would solve the primary problem) is there a way to display series information within a collection or sort the books in a collection so they are ordered by series or ordered manually? I really don't want to rename all my documents I've collected so they fit in order based on book name.
nessin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 02:45 PM   #2
curstpriest
Confused
curstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toys

Device: Kindle DXG
You can't display metadata of any sort really.
You can see some minimal data by selecting a book, and selecting right on the joystick/rocker.

As far as the time goes.. I don't think you can display it without exiting the book. There may be a command you can enter in the search box to use TTS to say it or something stupid, but its easier to just exit the book and come back to it.
curstpriest is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-15-2010, 04:09 PM   #3
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
Menu button and sorts

Press the Menu button and it will display the time you have set under Settings.

Move the cursor up at the Home screen to the top and then press the 5-way to go to the right. There you can arrange sorts by:

1. Collections
2. Title
3. Author
4. Most recent first

I use collections and it displays last read under each collection.

Type DATE at the Home screen to get today's date and time based on your time zone.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 06:28 PM   #4
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by nessin View Post
Just had a couple quick questions hopefully someone can answer for me:

1) Is there any way to get the screen to display the curren time while reading a book?

2) How in the world do you access the book metadata and/or is there a way to display series information on the main home screen? At the very least (or maybe most because it would solve the primary problem) is there a way to display series information within a collection or sort the books in a collection so they are ordered by series or ordered manually? I really don't want to rename all my documents I've collected so they fit in order based on book name.
Current time: press Menu. For date, type 'date' when on an item list. The first search result will show current time; Select will show even more current time and time zone relative to GMT.

Metadata: depends on what you mean. Kindle will only show Title and Author. But there is the Kindle Store description (if you got the book from amazon) and of course your own annotations, both accessible by Menu options. If you use calibre on your computer, you can view and modify metadata using it.
tomsem is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 08:15 AM   #5
cuteseal
Enthusiast
cuteseal doesn't littercuteseal doesn't litter

Device: Kindle 3
For the book information, highlight a book on the homescreen and press the right key.

It will take you to the book page with a more detailed description, cover art etc. From there you can also jump to the book in the Kindle store which shows more information such as reviews and other useful stuff.

Last edited by cuteseal; 10-17-2010 at 07:47 PM.
cuteseal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert