Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 08-26-2010, 02:27 PM   #31
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by ManosHandsOfFate View Post
You don't have to buy your books online through Amazon. You could always go to a bookstore.
And likely pay much closer to list price than the discounted prices from Amazon too (except for maybe bestsellers).
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 02:50 PM   #32
ManosHandsOfFate
Addict
ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, K3, Fire, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
And likely pay much closer to list price than the discounted prices from Amazon too (except for maybe bestsellers).
Very true!

I'm a bit of cheapskate and usually wait until a mass market paperback comes out before I read a book. Since I'm not particularly impatient, for me hard cover and trade paperbacks are a waste of money.

It doesn't appear that Amazon offers much of a discount when you compare mass market paperbacks to Kindle prices.
ManosHandsOfFate is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-26-2010, 03:15 PM   #33
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
It doesn't appear that Amazon offers much of a discount when you compare mass market paperbacks to Kindle prices.
This is true. If you're lucky the Kindle book is usually a buck cheaper when it's agency priced sometimes a couple buck off if it's Amazon actually doing the pricing when it comes to something out in mass market.
Old 08-26-2010, 05:17 PM   #34
whitearrow
Guru
whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2
I just wrote a blog post on this topic, with examples.

I think we just need to loudly keep calling on publishers to do the right thing, and not treat e-readers like we're fools.
whitearrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 06:04 PM   #35
ManosHandsOfFate
Addict
ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, K3, Fire, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitearrow View Post
I just wrote a blog post on this topic, with examples.

I think we just need to loudly keep calling on publishers to do the right thing, and not treat e-readers like we're fools.
Thanks for the great blog post!

Perceived value is obviously very personal. Since I rarely buy anything but mass market paperbacks, spending $12.99 on a Kindle edition seems excessive.

I feel like it's a losing battle - there are too many consumers out there who will keep paying the high prices without a second thought.
ManosHandsOfFate is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-26-2010, 06:12 PM   #36
AnemicOak
Bookaholic

Quote:
Perceived value is obviously very personal. Since I rarely buy anything but mass market paperbacks, spending $12.99 on a Kindle edition seems excessive.
Most of the time if you wait for the mass market to come out (like you would be anyway for the mmpb) that $12.99 ebook price goes away and ends up in the $5.99-$7.99 range. Not always, but usually. Of course some mass market stuff has been coming out at $9.99 lately.