Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 08-25-2010, 03:25 PM   #16
ManosHandsOfFate
Addict
ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, K3, Fire, Nexus 7
How do you both support e-publishing and, at the same time, send a message to the publishers that you think their pricing scheme is ridiculous?
ManosHandsOfFate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 03:56 PM   #17
TenaciousBadger
Mrawr?
TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle 3 wifi
Quote:
Originally Posted by ManosHandsOfFate View Post
How do you both support e-publishing and, at the same time, send a message to the publishers that you think their pricing scheme is ridiculous?
ha! my conundrum exactly!
TenaciousBadger is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-25-2010, 04:47 PM   #18
simplyparticular
Guru
simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3 & GlowLight 4
Quote:
Borrow from the library. My library has this book in ePub. Maybe buy a cheap ePub reader - the Sony 300 and the Cybook Opus (original) have been going cheap these days.
simplyparticular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 05:46 PM   #19
ManosHandsOfFate
Addict
ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplyparticular View Post
Borrow from the library. My library has this book in ePub. Maybe buy a cheap ePub reader - the Sony 300 and the Cybook Opus (original) have been going cheap these days.
I like the idea. Is there anyone out there who actually borrows from the library exclusively?

I can see myself having the intention to do this and then quickly becoming frustrated by wait times and selection.
Old 08-25-2010, 08:13 PM   #20
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
I don't borrow exclusively but I do get quite a few books there. I strip the DRM off to read on my Kindle and delete the books when done. I do sometimes buy rather than wait, but it's a nice supplement.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-25-2010, 08:21 PM   #21
JMikeD
Evangelist
JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: Various and sundry
Quote:
Originally Posted by TenaciousBadger View Post
and this is a shocker i tell you because i've come across so many "not available to your region" books that i'm dismayed at the whole agency model thing.
Nothing to do with the agency model. If it's not available in your region, it's because the company that has the publishing rights there hasn’t made it available yet.
JMikeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 08:26 PM   #22
catsittingstill
Guru
catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1.0.8, iPod Touch, Kindle Keyboard
Quote:
I buy different e-books, that *are* reasonably priced.

I can often find some other interesting book at Amazon, plus:

If you like Diane Duane she has a number of her books for sale, DRM-free and in multiple formats, at her website. (She happens to be one of my favorite authors so I bought up several of her books when I found this out from Teleread.)

There's also Baen Books, widely famed for selling DRM-free e-books at reasonable prices in multiple formats.
catsittingstill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 11:36 PM   #23
Williamlk
Guru
Williamlk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Williamlk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Williamlk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Williamlk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Williamlk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Williamlk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Williamlk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Williamlk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Williamlk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Williamlk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Williamlk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
The kindle version of my book on amazon is much, much cheaper than anywhere else on the web. I seem to find that is the case with most books I've downloaded.
Williamlk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 12:37 AM   #24
Skydog
Wizard
Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa 2E, Sage, Forma, Libra 2, Clara 2E, Kindle Oasis3, Voyage
So who is to blame for this pricing? Amazon?

http://www.amazon.com/Forgotten-Patr...=30NA7O8M83Q1L

And I have a wishlist full of Kindle books that are $4-6 more than the pb versions.
Skydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 12:52 AM   #25
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydog View Post
So who is to blame for this pricing? Amazon?

http://www.amazon.com/Forgotten-Patr...=30NA7O8M83Q1L
I'd guess that particular book is a fairly unique case (having a bargain/remainder version before the PB is out). The Hardcover is $19.96, the paperback will be $11.53 when it's released in November (when the ebook price will more than likely drop). But there is also a "Bargain Hardcover" usually meaning some kind of limited quantity remainders that Amazon got a deal on from the publisher. So while they still have bargain copies the Hardcover is cheaper, because the ebook price is based on a discount from the publishers list price which is $27.50. Most reports have Amazon paying around 50% of list, they're discounting the ebook at 45% off list.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 08:22 AM   #26
Aidan
Aidan began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle3
These kind of pricing decisions make me so angry! Can't the publishers see that all that this will do is fuel piracy which the industry simply cannot afford.
Aidan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 10:47 AM   #27
ManosHandsOfFate
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alisa View Post
I don't borrow exclusively but I do get quite a few books there. I strip the DRM off to read on my Kindle and delete the books when done. I do sometimes buy rather than wait, but it's a nice supplement.
I like it! This sounds exactly like the solution I use to extend the life of my Netflix rentals - acquire legally, remove copy protection, watch, delete when done.

Of course with Netflix it's just an issue convenience. I'm not trying to influence the movie industry.

BTW, are discussions about removing book DRM kosher here or should I look elsewhere?
Old 08-26-2010, 01:10 PM   #28
mdovell
Zealot
mdovell could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mdovell could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mdovell could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mdovell could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mdovell could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mdovell could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mdovell could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mdovell could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mdovell could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mdovell could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mdovell could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Kindle DX
I'd hate to point something out here but....

kindle books require no s&h cost

even if the paperback costs a few dollars less it's still under the $25 to get free shipping. Once shipping is added the kindle one is cheaper.

The usefulness of the wireless can't be ignored...remember you can usually download sample chapters as well and if you don't like it just delete. If you don't like a book you order then you have to ship it back..
mdovell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 02:21 PM   #29
ManosHandsOfFate
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdovell View Post
I'd hate to point something out here but....

kindle books require no s&h cost

even if the paperback costs a few dollars less it's still under the $25 to get free shipping. Once shipping is added the kindle one is cheaper.

The usefulness of the wireless can't be ignored...remember you can usually download sample chapters as well and if you don't like it just delete. If you don't like a book you order then you have to ship it back..
You don't have to buy your books online through Amazon. You could always go to a bookstore.

I think many people feel that because publishers' costs are less, they should pass the savings along to the consumer. After all, if the price of paper were to go up, publishers would start charging more for p-books.

I'd be curious to see a pie chart that breaks down the costs associated with publishing a p-book.
Old 08-26-2010, 02:21 PM   #30
TenaciousBadger
Mrawr?
TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle 3 wifi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aidan View Post
These kind of pricing decisions make me so angry! Can't the publishers see that all that this will do is fuel piracy which the industry simply cannot afford.
what might be surprising to many is how little of this sum actually goes to the writer who uses a publisher for his/her books (around $3 out of $12<---i might be slightly off)). now don't shoot me, i recall reading an article somewhere (which i cannot find atm) but AFAIK most of it goes to... you guessed it, the publisher.

add to the pricing the problem of "this book is not available to your region" and it just gets frustrating (= euphemism)

Last edited by TenaciousBadger; 08-26-2010 at 02:24 PM.
TenaciousBadger is offline   Reply With Quote