Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 10-08-2009, 10:56 AM   #91
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I don't think anyone's recommended this (apologies if I've overlooked it), but another very, very good series, is the "JAG in space" series by John M. Hemry. This is (or was, when I bought it) available as a very reasonably priced "bundle" from Baen.

Basically it's "legal military SF", set in a 22nd century US Space Navy. The books are excellent both as military SF and as legal "thrillers".
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 11:10 AM   #92
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I don't think anyone's recommended this (apologies if I've overlooked it), but another very, very good series, is the "JAG in space" series by John M. Hemry. This is (or was, when I bought it) available as a very reasonably priced "bundle" from Baen.

Basically it's "legal military SF", set in a 22nd century US Space Navy. The books are excellent both as military SF and as legal "thrillers".
Have you read his Stark series? Wondering how it is.

I've read some of his Lost Fleet books, written under Jack Campbell, and thought they were Ok, but just Ok nothing special.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-08-2009, 11:16 AM   #93
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
Have you read his Stark series? Wondering how it is.

I've read some of his Lost Fleet books, written under Jack Campbell, and thought they were Ok, but just Ok nothing special.
I have it (it was in the bundle with the JAG books) but haven't yet read it. The reports I've seen from people who've read both generally seem to agree that the JAG series is the one to read.
Old 10-08-2009, 11:18 AM   #94
WillAdams
Wizard
WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite (300ppi), Samsung Galaxy Book 12
X, my recommendation for a first Military SF book by C.J. Cherryh would be _Merchanter's Luck_ which really captures the spirit of the series, then ready _Heavy Time_ and _Hellburner_ and the hook should be set for _Downbelow Station_ at which point _TriPoint_ and _Finity's End_ will make sense. _40,000 in Gehenna_ could be read any time after _Downbelow Station_ (arguably it should be read first, since it contains the history of much of the series).

The author's take on this here:

http://www.cherryh.com/www/univer.htm

an Amazon chronology order here:

http://www.amazon.com/C-Cherryhs-Mer.../1SNH9EPP3740B

Excellent discussion of her writing in general:

http://www.dancingbadger.com/c_j_cherryh.htm

William
WillAdams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 11:42 AM   #95
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

My favourite C.J. Cherryh book is "Cyteen", but it's not "military", although set in the same "universe" as the military ones that Will has recommended.
Advert
Old 10-08-2009, 05:21 PM   #96
NormHart
Semper Carpe Bufo
NormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmos

Device: Kindle2 & Kindle3
Quote:
I have it (it was in the bundle with the JAG books) but haven't yet read it. The reports I've seen from people who've read both generally seem to agree that the JAG series is the one to read.
Yes, the JAG series is much better but the Stark series is worth the time IMO. One of those series you keep on the shelf until you are looking for some light entertainment.
NormHart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 05:37 PM   #97
NormHart
Semper Carpe Bufo
NormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmos

Device: Kindle2 & Kindle3
I just scanned through this thread again and I don't see the author that inspired me, at age 8, to cover the floor of my bedroom with hundreds of cut out paper spaceships and conduct grand fleet maneuvers. His work later lead me to learn graphics programing and to spend two weeks in the library teaching myself matrix trigonometry so I could model the local (<20 lightyears) space on an incredibly primitive computer.

E. E. "Doc" Smith's Lensmen series.

Dated but oh so good.

<where is my space cadet smilie?>
NormHart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 06:09 PM   #98
DMcCunney
New York Editor
DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PalmTX, Pocket eDGe, Alcatel Fierce 4, RCA Viking Pro 10, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by NormHart View Post
I just scanned through this thread again and I don't see the author that inspired me, at age 8, to cover the floor of my bedroom with hundreds of cut out paper spaceships and conduct grand fleet maneuvers. His work later lead me to learn graphics programing and to spend two weeks in the library teaching myself matrix trigonometry so I could model the local (<20 lightyears) space on an incredibly primitive computer.

E. E. "Doc" Smith's Lensmen series.

Dated but oh so good.

<where is my space cadet smilie?>
Small press Old Earth Books has lovely trade paperback versions:
http://www.oldearthbooks.com/ee_smith.htm

I have the boxed set, and the proprietor of OEB is an old friend.

The first of the series, _Triplanetary_ , is available through Project Gutenberg http://www.gutenberg.org/browse/authors/s#a9515 along with an assortment of other Smith books, and is also in MR's ebook area in IMP, LRF, and PRC format, converted by MR users. (The PG version is the magazine serial, under a separate copyright which was not renewed.)

Yes, dated but lots of fun, and considered the archetypal "space opera", Whenever you think Smith can't get wilder, rest assured he has a topper up his sleeve.
______
Dennis
DMcCunney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 06:21 PM   #99
DMcCunney
New York Editor
DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackVoid View Post
Bill, the Galactic Hero by Harry Harrison is excellent and fits your requirements: grunt's perspective in a larger conflict. There are sequels, but I have not read them.
_Bill the Galactic Hero_ is mordant satire, and intended in part as a response to Robert A. Heinlein's _Starship Troopers_. (Harrison's politics are rather far removed from Heinlein's.)

The protagonist is an ignorant hick on a backwoods planet, suckered into joining up, and finds himself in a questionable war, serving under officers who start at incompetent and degrade from there to mentally defective.

I suppose it's military SF, but it's not what I recommend to folks who like the genre.

Yes, there are sequels, but I don't consider them worth reading. Harrison's publisher wanted a series, and Harry discovered he could create one with a fair bit of cut and paste and repetition from previous books. I like Harry, and I'm happy he could get paid for it, but I can't read the results.
______
Dennis
Old 10-08-2009, 06:33 PM   #100
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
My favourite C.J. Cherryh book is "Cyteen", but it's not "military", although set in the same "universe" as the military ones that Will has recommended.
I am still annoyed by Cyteen (read it 19 years ago) because you did not get to know who closed (or was it opened?) the door. I like my books to have explanations for what happens.'
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 09:19 PM   #101
wayspooled
Crab In The Dark
wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Tablet PC until a 10" comes out that I like
Quote:
Originally Posted by tompe View Post
I am still annoyed by Cyteen (read it 19 years ago) because you did not get to know who closed (or was it opened?) the door. I like my books to have explanations for what happens.'
Well go ask her, heh.. She has a blog she posts on and a section for people to ask questions about her books. She's pretty personable. Or wait until she sees the question here, she visits MB once in a while, dunno if she'll see it in this topic though. And she's working on self publishing her backlist books, probably be available in a bit.
wayspooled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 08:02 AM   #102
WillAdams
Wizard
WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite (300ppi), Samsung Galaxy Book 12
There's a sequel to _Cyteen_ available --- does that answer the question?

William
WillAdams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 08:09 AM   #103
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillAdams View Post
There's a sequel to _Cyteen_ available --- does that answer the question?

William
There is? What is it called?
Old 10-09-2009, 08:51 AM   #104
DMcCunney
New York Editor

Quote:
There is? What is it called?
Regenesis
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Regenesis_%28novel%29
______
Dennis
Old 10-09-2009, 08:56 AM   #105
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMcCunney View Post
Excellent - thank you! Now on my "shopping list".