Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 07-09-2008, 01:53 PM   #1
jerryleejr
Koby-rific!
jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kobo Sage,Kobo Aura One, Glo HD,PRS-T1,PRS-950, PRS 300, PRS 350
Side by side Photo?

For those lucky individuals that have both the PRS 505 and Kindle could you post a pic that shows the difference in 4 shades of gray and 8?

JJ
jerryleejr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 01:55 PM   #2
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
I can see you leaning closer and closer to buying a Kindle.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-09-2008, 11:41 PM   #3
jerryleejr
Koby-rific!
jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
I can see you leaning closer and closer to buying a Kindle.
Well lets just say that the one that holds the purse strings doesnt want another HD DVD fiasco!
Seriously I have said from the start if the Money were the same it would be a no brainer, and at the risk of sounding like a broken record I have reservations about the Sony as a company with long term support. I wish my crystal ball wasnt on the fritz and I could see a wonderfully sexy Kindle 2.0 without the plastic. More later
JJ

Last edited by jerryleejr; 07-09-2008 at 11:44 PM.
Old 07-10-2008, 02:07 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Is there any reason that you're not considering the CyBook, too?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 02:43 AM   #5
jerryleejr
Koby-rific!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Is there any reason that you're not considering the CyBook, too?
Price, and Location I have had issues when purchasing via the internet due to where I am. Some books wont download, etc. Plus I dont know about Support for the Cybook once I get back to the states.

JJ
Advert
Old 07-10-2008, 02:46 AM   #6
jerryleejr
Koby-rific!

Harry,
I almost forgot to mention I really like all the devices that are out there but since I do not have unlimited funds, I have to narrow it down to one and up until a couple of days ago I was about 80% for the Sony and 20% for the Kindle, Now I am about 60% Sony, 40% Kindle.
Without getting to indepth here it is in a nutshell Briefly! These are my points I am sure everyone will have their own opinion. And we can debate them for years.
Sony
Pro's
Good design, Price, Titles I want, 3rd generation device (If you count the Libre)
Con's
No Mac Support, Sony has a history of abandoning products due to sales

Kindle
Pro's
Wispernet (Debatable) Price (Books not Device), Content availability (Amazon Knows Books!)

Con's
Price (Device not Books), 1st Generation Device (What is around the Corner), Aesthetics (I am a little more form over function in this case.)
JJ
I guess I did get indepth sorry!

Last edited by jerryleejr; 07-10-2008 at 02:58 AM.
Old 07-10-2008, 02:51 AM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Fair enough .
Old 07-10-2008, 06:59 AM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerryleejr View Post
Well lets just say that the one that holds the purse strings doesnt want another HD DVD fiasco!
Seriously I have said from the start if the Money were the same it would be a no brainer, and at the risk of sounding like a broken record I have reservations about the Sony as a company with long term support. I wish my crystal ball wasnt on the fritz and I could see a wonderfully sexy Kindle 2.0 without the plastic. More later
JJ
You should have reservations about Amazon supporting eBooks in the long term given their history with eBooks.

Even if you do get a 505 and Sony was to stop selling eBooks, you would (provided it is legal where you live) be able to purchase other format(s), remove the DRM and easily convert to LRF.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 07:49 AM   #9
jerryleejr
Koby-rific!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
You should have reservations about Amazon supporting eBooks in the long term given their history with eBooks.

Even if you do get a 505 and Sony was to stop selling eBooks, you would (provided it is legal where you live) be able to purchase other format(s), remove the DRM and easily convert to LRF.
Yes I understand that but I would rather just click and buy, For the free stuff I use Calibre to convert for the PRS and Stanza for the Kindle, I am amassing quite the library.

JJ
Old 07-10-2008, 10:00 AM   #10
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I don't see this as an issue. Even *if* somewhere down the line Amazon decides they don't want to deal with hardware (the Kindle), they are still about books. I believe they will be selling ebooks no matter what. I think it's more likely that more formats would be sold on their platform if they got away from selling the hardware.
Old 07-10-2008, 11:13 AM   #11
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerryleejr View Post
Yes I understand that but I would rather just click and buy, For the free stuff I use Calibre to convert for the PRS and Stanza for the Kindle, I am amassing quite the library.

JJ
Jerry...

You really *should* consider the Cybook. For one thing, you can buy titles for it from BooksOnBoard, Fictionwise and Mobipocket. For another thing, Bookeen will do support on it no matter where you live. For a final thing, NAEB has a few extra in this latest shipment so you could have it in just a few days. (NAEB *is* in the US)

Derek Benner (Okay, in interest of full disclosure, I am a corporate officer of NAEB.)
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 11:59 AM   #12
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:

But that argument applies equally to the Kindle, Jon. It's just as easy to convert DRM-protected LIT files to MobiPocket format for the Kindle as it is to convert them to LRF format for the Sony. As you are perfectly well aware .
Old 07-10-2008, 12:52 PM   #13
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
But that argument applies equally to the Kindle, Jon. It's just as easy to convert DRM-protected LIT files to MobiPocket format for the Kindle as it is to convert them to LRF format for the Sony. As you are perfectly well aware .
True. But, if the Kindle wasn't being supported any longer then Whispernet would be useless. At least with the 505 and even the Gen3, if either was to stop being supported, at least you'd not have features that were totally useless.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 12:58 PM   #14
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious

Quote:
True. But, if the Kindle wasn't being supported any longer then Whispernet would be useless. At least with the 505 and even the Gen3, if either was to stop being supported, at least you'd not have features that were totally useless.
There is the possibility that Whispernet will become a fee service for anything other than the Amazon store and Wikipedia (and maybe NowNow). I haven't seen any hints that it would be abandoned all together.
Old 07-10-2008, 01:00 PM   #15
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
That's really a silly argument.

I generally expect to get about 3 years use out of tech gadgets that are CPU based. Such as PC's, Laptops, PDAs, eBook readers. If I get 3 years out of my Kindle I will be happy. Any more than that is a bonus.

While I don't love the fact that Kindle books are DRMed, I am sure if the Kindle store does go down there will be a way to remove the DRM. I am also keeping all my Kindle books backed up... (using Amazon S3 ironically).

Also, I do aquire books from places other than the Kindle store if possible to get them DRM free. Such as getting Steve Jordans books from his store and Michael McCollums books from his store.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote