Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 04-24-2014, 02:06 PM   #1
gabby98
Wizard
gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android, Nook Simple Touch, Nook Color, ..., Glo
Goodreads makes it easier to add your Amazon book buys to your virtual shelves....

Not sure if anyone has already posted this, but I thought I'd share (I did search a bit first)

Quote:
By PAUL SAWERS 04/16/2014 on TheNextWeb

Starting from today, social reading platform Goodreads is making it easier for you to add your Amazon book purchases to your virtual bookshelves.

Users in the US, Canada and Australia will be able to add both print books and Kindle books to their shelves automatically. Indeed, you’ll see an ‘Add Amazon Book Purchases’ link in the Tools list on the left of your ‘My Books’ page, and once you’ve signed in with your Amazon credentials, you’ll be able to go through all your past purchases, rate each one and select the relevant shelf for it.

[Image violates guidelines for size - MODERATOR]
Goodreads makes it easier to add your Amazon book buys to your virtual shelves

Amazon acquired Goodreads in March last year, so this tighter tie-up is hardly surprising. And given it will let you beef out your bookshelves more easily and receive better recommendations for future (good) reads, it’s bound to prove a popular feature.

If you live in any of the three launch markets, you should be seeing the new feature over the next couple of weeks. And if you don’t live in the US, Canada or Australia, chin up – it will be arriving in other markets soon too.

Last edited by gabby98; 04-24-2014 at 04:02 PM.
gabby98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 02:40 PM   #2
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Well, this sounds a little more usable than what I've heard about the PW update.

eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-24-2014, 03:08 PM   #3
Yapyap
Guru
Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, iPad 3, Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge
It's very handy.

It should be "users of the Amazon.com, .ca and .au websites" instead of "users in the US, Canada and Australia", though (which I did get confirmed in the Feedback forum thread). If you're e.g. European and use Amazon.com for your books, like Kindle users in most European countries have to do, it works just fine.

They're apparently working on some method to also allow you to hide a book you've bought but don't want to add to your GR shelves (books bought as gifts, cancelled preorders, freebies you've since deleted etc) - currently you can just ignore those and scroll past.

One thing I noticed was that it may also show you books you've already shelved, because the specific edition you bought isn't in the GR database yet (or hasn't been combined with the main entry yet). Librarians can go and combine the newly added edition with the existing book entry so it gets counted as already shelved.
Yapyap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 08:09 AM   #4
jersysman
Wizard
jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T1 Red, Kindle Fire, Kindle PW, PW2, Nook HD+, Kobo Mini, Aura HD
This is a very convenient way to get Amazon book purchases added to my Goodreads shelves. The only down side of it was the first time you do this. My clicking finger got tired of clicking the "I Want to Read" button. Wish there was a way to just add them all at once. But, now that the initial push is done for me, it's all good!
jersysman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 09:55 AM   #5
bminata
Connoisseur
bminata got an A in P-Chem.bminata got an A in P-Chem.bminata got an A in P-Chem.bminata got an A in P-Chem.bminata got an A in P-Chem.bminata got an A in P-Chem.bminata got an A in P-Chem.bminata got an A in P-Chem.bminata got an A in P-Chem.bminata got an A in P-Chem.bminata got an A in P-Chem.

Device: KPW, KFHD, K3, K2, iPad
I didn't see any ‘Add Amazon Book Purchases’ link on my Goodreads page.
bminata is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-26-2014, 10:21 AM   #6
faithbw
Guru
faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Mini 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by bminata View Post
I didn't see any ‘Add Amazon Book Purchases’ link on my Goodreads page.
I didn't see it either.
faithbw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 10:27 AM   #7
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
It's at the top/right of the main page:

pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 11:00 AM   #8
gabby98
Wizard
gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android, Nook Simple Touch, Nook Color, ..., Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by pidgeon92 View Post
It's at the top/right of the main page:

TBH I didn't see this section on GR until after I posted this thread lol
gabby98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 11:29 AM   #9
jersysman
Wizard
jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

You will see it listed if your click on the "Home" link on the top menu. Then it will be over to the right.
Old 04-26-2014, 02:59 PM   #10
Yapyap
Guru
Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

It has disappeared from the "home" tab / main feed page for me, but it can be accessed through the My Books tab - scroll all the way down and it's in the "tools" section on the left hand side, right under "recommendations".
Old 04-26-2014, 09:00 PM   #11
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
For me it showed up when I went to widgets>apps. You would think they'd make it easier to find.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 10:41 PM   #12
faithbw
Guru
faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Mini 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by crich70 View Post
For me it showed up when I went to widgets>apps. You would think they'd make it easier to find.
Thanks! That's the route I had to take and you're right, it's rather convoluted. What surprised me is that all the books I've bought from Amazon are not listed in the books to add to GR. Plus, there are some others (i.e. "freebies) that I don't want to add.
faithbw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 02:43 AM   #13
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Quote:
Originally Posted by faithbw View Post
Thanks! That's the route I had to take and you're right, it's rather convoluted. What surprised me is that all the books I've bought from Amazon are not listed in the books to add to GR. Plus, there are some others (i.e. "freebies) that I don't want to add.
You're quite welcome. I can only think that it's that convoluted (as you so well put it) because it's such a new addition. I mean the people at Amazon know where it is to be found and probably expect everyone else to know as well. Probably after it's been up for a while they will move it to a more easily accessible spot (or at least update the code) so people don't have such trouble finding it.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 07:59 AM   #14
jersysman
Wizard

It's still on my Home page (right above the list of books that I am reading. I don't know why it would be in other places for others. Strange.
Old 04-28-2014, 11:09 AM   #15
Yapyap
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by jersysman View Post
It's still on my Home page (right above the list of books that I am reading. I don't know why it would be in other places for others. Strange.
It was there for me for the first two or three days and then disappeared. Still, it's easy enough to find through My Books.

I also hope they'll implement an "ignore/hide this book" option at some point, as I'd prefer to hide all the books I've acquired (bought or downloaded for free) through Amazon that I don't intend to read soon if ever (this goes for freebies in particular) or would just prefer to not clutter my Goodreads shelves with for now.

At least new purchases are displayed first, so I don't need to scroll by all the ones I don't wish to add every time, but on the other hand as it's an infinite scroll type of list, this does mean I haven't even got to the end of my initial list yet, where there probably are books I'd want to add...