Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 04-03-2014, 02:36 PM   #1
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
Delphi Classics 40% deal

Delphi Classics (http://www.delphiclassics.com/) has a 40% discount if you spend $40. Therefore you'll only pay $24, or €17.50. After spending $40 at Delphi, your TBR will have extended into infinity.

I'm thinking of just buying the entire English catalogue (the part that I don't yet have, that is...)
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 08:15 PM   #2
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
NOoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!

I just spent a ton of money at Kobooooooooooooooooooooo!

Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-04-2014, 08:29 AM   #3
owly
Guru
owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 2, Kobo Aura H2O
Aren't these the type of titles you can find for free on Project Gutenberg?
owly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 08:59 AM   #4
peachiekene
Fanatic
peachiekene ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peachiekene ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peachiekene ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peachiekene ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peachiekene ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peachiekene ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peachiekene ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peachiekene ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peachiekene ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peachiekene ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peachiekene ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo aura one, htc 10, kobo glo hd
Quote:
Originally Posted by owly View Post
Aren't these the type of titles you can find for free on Project Gutenberg?
Yes, but these are huge omnibuses that include everything - including really obscure works that are hard to find.
I've never bought from them personally, so I can't vouch for the quality of them though.
peachiekene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 10:34 AM   #5
stutzj
Zealot
stutzj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stutzj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stutzj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stutzj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stutzj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stutzj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stutzj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stutzj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stutzj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stutzj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stutzj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD, PW2, Kindle 5(black)
Quote:
Originally Posted by peachiekene View Post
Yes, but these are huge omnibuses that include everything - including really obscure works that are hard to find.
I've never bought from them personally, so I can't vouch for the quality of them though.
I can vouch for them. I think there the best public domain collections you will find for ereaders. There very well organized, well written, and usually are very comprehensive. There are a lot of great images of original volumes and covers. Also included are essays or full biographies written by other authors that are in public domain. Definitely worth the asking price whatever it may be.
stutzj is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-04-2014, 10:46 AM   #6
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by peachiekene View Post
I've been reading the Professor Challenger works by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, and up until now, I've not encountered any mistakes, or if there were some, they were too small for me to detect.

The one mistake you will encounter quite some times is a link in an inline table of contents that is not actually a link. It may be difficult to reach the actual book in that case. As long as EPUBSplit and Calibre exist and work, I treat the Delphi Classics as its own "library" of which parts can be split off. After that, I'll have Calibre regenerate the TOC.

If I can get get 10 to 20.000 pages of reading for $3 (and then, 40% off of that), without having to search around the net for a good copy with good layout, and fully illustrated at that, I'll accept the occasional mistake.

(I have 36 of these Delphi Classics, which is about half a life of reading.)

Last edited by Katsunami; 04-04-2014 at 10:50 AM.
Old 04-04-2014, 04:01 PM   #7
AnotherCat
AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ....
Quote:
Originally Posted by stutzj View Post
I can vouch for them. I think there the best public domain collections you will find for ereaders. There very well organized, well written, and usually are very comprehensive. There are a lot of great images of original volumes and covers. Also included are essays or full biographies written by other authors that are in public domain. Definitely worth the asking price whatever it may be.
I am in complete agreement, they are excellent value (especially if you get them with Kobo 90% discount coupons ).

They also include works that are very difficult to find elsewhere, including holes in series such as, for example, those of Zola's.
AnotherCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 04:12 PM   #8
doubleshuffle
Unicycle Daredevil
doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura HD (R.I.P. After six years the USB socket died.) tolino shine 3
Good value for money at Delphi, but their poetry formatting leaves a lot to be desired.
doubleshuffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 04:18 PM   #9
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by doubleshuffle View Post
Good value for money at Delphi, but their poetry formatting leaves a lot to be desired.
Can't comment on that, as I don't read poetry. Formatting it is difficult however, as font, size, and thus line length are variable.
Old 04-04-2014, 09:35 PM   #10
peachiekene
Fanatic
peachiekene ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peachiekene ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peachiekene ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peachiekene ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peachiekene ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peachiekene ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peachiekene ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peachiekene ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peachiekene ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peachiekene ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peachiekene ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo aura one, htc 10, kobo glo hd
Thank you for the info Katsunami, stutzj, and AnotherCat!

I didn't mean to imply they were of poor quality or anything like that- just that I've never bought them. I've actually been eyeing a few titles from them. I'm just very lazy/picky about my ebooks and if I have to do any corrections myself - then I'd rather pass. (This goes for free titles as well. I rarely download from Project Gutenberg because I have run into this too often.)
peachiekene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 09:32 AM   #11
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer

The Delphi books are rather good, but they are also huge. You're bound to find a mistake now and then.

The only thing to watch out for is that Calibre will be unable to convert the truly huge ones from epub to azw3. You will need to polish the data into the book, export it, and convert using KindleGen.
Old 04-05-2014, 12:40 PM   #12
Marcy
Guru
Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsunami View Post
The Delphi books are rather good, but they are also huge. You're bound to find a mistake now and then.

The only thing to watch out for is that Calibre will be unable to convert the truly huge ones from epub to azw3. You will need to polish the data into the book, export it, and convert using KindleGen.
You can buy them as kindle books directly from Delphi if that's your preferred format.
Marcy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 02:05 PM   #13
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsunami View Post

I haven't had any problems when converting from epub to mobi, but for some reason azw3 does present problems.
Old 04-05-2014, 02:07 PM   #14
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcy View Post
You can buy them as kindle books directly from Delphi if that's your preferred format.

I think there's a limit on size, and that some (not all, by any means) of their larger sizes are put together without the illustrations when Amazon sells them and if they exceed that size limit.

I'm sorry, but I can't remember where I read this.
Old 04-05-2014, 04:55 PM   #15
AnotherCat
AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ....
Another thing to keep in mind is that for some collections there are country specific editions whereas purchasers in some countries get fewer books in the collection if copyright still exists in their country on books that are otherwise in the collection, however other countries get the lot. I think that USA purchasers are the ones most affected (my own country is not affected at all so my comment is only an observation from browsing the shops, not from personal experience of purchasing a lesser collection).

From casual observation the entry for the collection makes this clear for affected collections in at least the Delphi and Kobo stores if such an issue exists.
AnotherCat is offline   Reply With Quote