Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 05-09-2013, 03:36 AM   #1
Moonraker
Addict
Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ILiad. Gen 3, PocketBook 360, Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Oasis 2
Aura switches off soon after opening

I got my Aura on release day 25th April.

For the last few days, each time I open the sleep cover and start to read, the Aura goes to sleep after about 30 to 60 seconds.

Is it the sleep cover causing this?
Moonraker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 03:48 AM   #2
paola
Wizard
paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Pro 903, (beloved Pocketbook 360 RIP), Kobo Mini, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonraker View Post

For the last few days, each time I open the sleep cover and start to read, the Aura goes to sleep after about 30 to 60 seconds.

what firmware are you on? There was an issue for all other devices with firmware 2.5.0, whereby as you say the device would go to sleep after thirty seconds or so after waking up. The workaround there was to tap somewhere, or turn a page then go back as soon after waking the device up, and that would solve the problem. However, the problem seems to have been fixed in 2.5.1, so you may want to check which firmware version in on your Aura, and update if it is not 2.5.1
paola is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-09-2013, 04:43 AM   #3
Moonraker
Addict
Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ILiad. Gen 3, PocketBook 360, Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Oasis 2
I do have firmware 2.5.1 (4/22/13)

But when I select "view" to select release notes on the Device Information Page it says Version 2.5.0 - 4/4/13?

The Kobo Desktop tells me Version 2.5.1
Moonraker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 04:53 AM   #4
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Kobo don't publish release notes for all firmware versions. And they only show a couple of major points. 2.5.1 is purely a bug-fix release.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 08:13 AM   #5
treadlightly
Wizard
treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O
This bug was not fixed for sleepcovers. It was only fixed for waking the device with the slider. You still have to touch the screen before the 30 seconds (or so) to prevent the quick sleep when waking with a sleepcover. You can increase this time by increasing the default sleep time to 45 or 60 minutes in the sleep settings. For some reason, the quick sleep time is proportional to the default sleep time.
treadlightly is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-09-2013, 08:45 AM   #6
samhy
Wizard
samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: (Sony (J) PRS 650), Kobo Mini, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by treadlightly View Post
This bug was not fixed for sleepcovers. It was only fixed for waking the device with the slider.
That's consistent with what's happening to my Mini. Since the sleepcover tends to open itself in my bag, I'm not too troubled with the short delay before it's going back to sleep mode. Except when I'm actually reading
samhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 10:14 AM   #7
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonraker View Post

Very likely. There is a "feature" where if you open the sleep cover and then don't touch the screen within 45-60 seconds, the Kobo will go back to sleep. I suspect this is to keep the device from waking up in your bag and then staying awake for however many minutes before going back to sleep. I've developed a habit that when I open the sleep cover, I tap the screen just to let it know that I'm reading.

There was an issue with 2.4.0(?) where when you woke your Kobo up from the slider, it would go back to sleep as if the sleep cover had been opened but that seems to have been fixed.

Regards,
David
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 01:03 AM   #8
MarciaCat
Cat Lady & Trekkie
MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra, Kobo Aura & Aura H20
I'm glad I found this thread, my recently acquired Aura HD (running firmware 2.8.1) has the same issue the original poster has; I didn't notice it right away because I was usually fiddling with settings or browsing my library right off after opening the cover. Now that I've settled into just opening it just to read (I know, such a novel concept with an ereader!) I would start reading only to have it go back to sleep; I did figure out that a tap on the screen was enough to keep it awake but still forget half the time.

I am relieved to know it's a common bug and not a flaw specific to my reader. And now I know that increasing the default sleep time is a simple fix for this (minor) frustration.
MarciaCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 07:31 AM   #9
jackastor
Wizard
jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iphone stanza, kobo touch,ASUS TF300,KOBO GLO, Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarciaCat View Post
I'm glad I found this thread, my recently acquired Aura HD (running firmware 2.8.1) has the same issue the original poster has; I didn't notice it right away because I was usually fiddling with settings or browsing my library right off after opening the cover. Now that I've settled into just opening it just to read (I know, such a novel concept with an ereader!) I would start reading only to have it go back to sleep; I did figure out that a tap on the screen was enough to keep it awake but still forget half the time.

I am relieved to know it's a common bug and not a flaw specific to my reader. And now I know that increasing the default sleep time is a simple fix for this (minor) frustration.
Has anyone noticed that sometimes when the device wakes up from sleep mode that the lighting is somewhat dimmer then what the actual setting is set for? and the only way to bring it back is to actually go into settings and slide the lighting settings up and down?

regards

JAck
jackastor is offline   Reply With Quote