Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 01-01-2011, 11:36 PM   #16
AutumnDreamer
Enthusiast
AutumnDreamer began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle 2
Okay, is this the way it's going to be in the future or is it a bug? I really don't like the way it's set up now under author. It's not in alphabetical order and I can't find anything by author by browsing - only by searching. Do I have to learn how to tweak stuff or is it safe to wait for the next update since Calibre updates so often? Just wanting clarification - thanks!
AutumnDreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 11:46 PM   #17
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by AutumnDreamer View Post
Okay, is this the way it's going to be in the future or is it a bug? I really don't like the way it's set up now under author. It's not in alphabetical order and I can't find anything by author by browsing - only by searching. Do I have to learn how to tweak stuff or is it safe to wait for the next update since Calibre updates so often? Just wanting clarification - thanks!
The sorting in the author area is a bug. It should be fixed in the next release.

If you wanted you could go to Preferences - Tweaks and enter the below line in the lower tweaks window.

Code:

categories_collapse_more_than = 0
This would put it back to what you were use to. Or you can wait for the next release.

Last edited by DoctorOhh; 01-02-2011 at 05:44 AM.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-02-2011, 12:20 AM   #18
AutumnDreamer
Enthusiast
AutumnDreamer began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle 2
Thank you so much for that confirmation and help with the tweaks. I now see that "series" under the tag browser appears to be messed up like the author sort. Can I assume that is a part of the bug and will be fixed too?

Edit: Accomplished the tweak and it fixed the series mix up too.

Last edited by AutumnDreamer; 01-02-2011 at 12:25 AM. Reason: update
AutumnDreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 04:06 AM   #19
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Clarifications

Some points of clarification:

1) If you set the tweak categories_collapse_more_than=0, then the categorization feature is turned off. You do not need to change any other tweak, and I suggest that you don't.

2) My suggesting using the tweak categories_use_field_for_author_name='author_sort' was a red herring, and in fact does nothing to fix the categorization problem. It changes which name is displayed in the tag browser (author or author sort), and takes effect whether or not categorization is being used. I was in error when I suggested that it was a work-around for the 'by letter' order problems.

3) The series order problems when using 'by letter' are a manifestation of the same bug affecting by-letter categorization of authors.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 04:08 AM   #20
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cynthia399 View Post
I really like this feature, the only thing that would make it better is if clicking the headers for each section would show all the books under that section in file listing.
This is a good idea. Unfortunately, it isn't clear how to implement it. The straight-forward method would have the performance of a dead snail, which wouldn't do at all.

Thought is required...
Advert
Old 01-02-2011, 04:10 AM   #21
chaley
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by garcle View Post
imo - , it would be nice to be able to switch modes with a right click sub-menu on the section heading. So could switch between old view and partition view without going to tweaks (my 2cents)
Also a good idea. I will add a context menu to switch between the three modes (none, letter, partition) and submit it for inclusion. I will also look at whether I can change the partition size in a similar way.
Old 01-02-2011, 04:16 AM   #22
Gary_M_Mugford
Groupie
Gary_M_Mugford has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Gary_M_Mugford has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Gary_M_Mugford has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kobo, Kindle3
Like many others, I was a little confounded by the change in appearance in the tag browser for authors and series and immediately headed here to MobileRead to get some understanding about the change. Happily, changing the tweak setting to 0 'solved' the issue. Knowing I COULD get back what I once had, I then started experimenting, using OldBwl's version to start with. And after looking at a few alternatives, I went back to the old style. I'm pretty adept at scrolling, given that I use a trackball and the absolutely essential WizMouse utility for my Windows system. Thus, the offering of segmentation on an as-you-like-it basis isn't necessary for me.

Calibre has been going through a fairly frequent interface changeover these last two months. Weekly updates bring surprises. Some are pleasant, some aren't. Some take some time to settle in. And some, like this one, can and will be dispensed with. But that's FOR ME. I can see where this 'option' would come in handy for others. And to go off on Charles, given what he has given ALL of us, for free (although a tip jar payment is in the offing as soon as my PayPal tops up) is uncalled for. 'Nuff said on the matter.

GM
Gary_M_Mugford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 04:17 AM   #23
oldbwl
Zealot
oldbwl doesn't litteroldbwl doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-300
I was grumpy then, not now. No offence intended. Especially as people here are so helpful.
oldbwl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 04:46 AM   #24
Gary_M_Mugford
Groupie
Gary_M_Mugford has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Gary_M_Mugford has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Gary_M_Mugford has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kobo, Kindle3
Chaley,

Having said what I said in the last missive, I'd also urge you and the rest of the Calibre team to consider less use of tweaks and more configuration screens as they occur. I know our fearless leader hates those things, but there are several levels of Calibre users ... and programmers don't make up the majority of them. For EXTENDING Calibre, plugins, templates and tweaks are perfectly acceptable as far as I'm concerned. If I'm not willing to work at it (or cajole you into doing it [G]), then I should not be able to get the extra bits.

But, for basic interface issues, the Tom, Dick and Harriets of the world who aren't programmers SHOULD be able to go to a screen and click a few option boxes on/off, slide a value slider or two and input the odd number. And have it in such a way that they can figure out the results of doing these things.

And another thing I'd consider is a 'non-techie' version of the changelog showing up during an upgrade. Given WARNING that the tag browser has changed and a general how-to to turn it off, I'm sure there would have been more than a few palpitations avoided. The secret is to make sure EVERYBODY can understand that a long-term feature has no changed ... and for the better. And that for those sticks in the mud (such as myself), that things can be changed for the worse if that's what you want. And remember, not everybody reads the changelog, and if they do, not everybody understands it. And yes, I understand that not everybody updates version to version and trying to be all-encompassing is the way to madness.

But how about something like this:

SINCE THE LAST UPDATE: Big enhancement to Tag Browser! It now defaults to breaking Authors down by Letter of Last Name. You can then expand the letter. You DO have the option of modifying the break down (Complete last names, for example. So you can see all the Smiths at once). Or you can go back to the old standard by going Preferences|Tweaks and adding categories_collapse_more_than=0 at the end of your customizations. By the way, when you edit tags, no more having to move the window around. It remembers where you put it last time. Plus, the back page button in the book viewer now works as advertised. In other changes, Calibre has added support for Google Nexus S, Motorola Backflip, Samsung Galaxy Tablet, PocketBook 603/903, EEEReader DR900 and the NextBook. There are small improvements in EPub to Mobi, Mac OSx and Sony conversions. Plus the usual little bug fixes and updates to the News section. Checkout the full Changelog at http://calibre-ebook.com/whats-new.

[OK]

If you need some help in developing these non-techie changelogs, I'll gladly offer to help. The above is a quick first draft of the last changelog entry. It might STILL be too techie. But the news about the interface change is maybe a 'little' more user-friendly than the changelog text.

At any rate, I hope I have offered some food for thought without coming off too preachy. Afterall, I'm still a noobie at Calibre myself.

GM
Gary_M_Mugford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 04:47 AM   #25
pchrist7
Addict
pchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: Kindle 3 3G+Wifi, Oasis
No complaints here. Understand how this works (NOT all the tweaks etc.). Always read release notes when downloading. BUT this one, I didn't understand. Maybe because English is not my native language. Uninstall, install 7.35 - no problems.
Will be a bit carefull in the future, ie. wait acouple of days or more
Happy new years to all,

Last edited by pchrist7; 01-02-2011 at 05:08 AM.
pchrist7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 05:29 AM   #26
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary_M_Mugford View Post
But, for basic interface issues, the Tom, Dick and Harriets of the world who aren't programmers SHOULD be able to go to a screen and click a few option boxes on/off, slide a value slider or two and input the odd number. And have it in such a way that they can figure out the results of doing these things.
I agree, where possible this is preferred. Trying to fit in extra boxes and settings can often cause more chaos. Because of this, often these features are stacked up and sensibly integrated into the GUI during a major GUI interface rewrite. Thus those times in between GUI rewrites end up with many tweaks and function is King during these times. The good news is when the GUI is redone the underlying functions will have all been thoroughly vetted.

Quote:
And another thing I'd consider is a 'non-techie' version of the changelog showing up during an upgrade.
Kovid tries to do exactly this. Non-techie Change Log. Techie Change Log. Possibly the link telling people there is a new version available could be directed to the change log like it was previously.

Quote:
Given WARNING that the tag browser has changed and a general how-to to turn it off, I'm sure there would have been more than a few palpitations avoided.
There wouldn't have been much of a problem let alone palpitations to avoid if the feature rolled out wasn't broke in such a visual way. As much as you try to anticipate problems no warning would have prepared people for the tag browser being so far off the mark.

Quote:
At any rate, I hope I have offered some food for thought without coming off too preachy. Afterall, I'm still a noobie at Calibre myself.
Nice points. In my experience here, constructive feedback is always welcomed.

Last edited by DoctorOhh; 01-02-2011 at 05:51 AM.
Old 01-02-2011, 06:19 AM   #27
Lady Fitzgerald
Wizard
Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: JetBook Lite (away from home) + 1 spare, 32" TV (at home)
Quote:
Chaley,

Having said what I said in the last missive, I'd also urge you and the rest of the Calibre team to consider less use of tweaks and more configuration screens as they occur. I know our fearless leader hates those things, but there are several levels of Calibre users ... and programmers don't make up the majority of them. For EXTENDING Calibre, plugins, templates and tweaks are perfectly acceptable as far as I'm concerned. If I'm not willing to work at it (or cajole you into doing it [G]), then I should not be able to get the extra bits.

And another thing I'd consider is a 'non-techie' version of the changelog showing up during an upgrade. Given WARNING that the tag browser has changed and a general how-to to turn it off, I'm sure there would have been more than a few palpitations avoided. The secret is to make sure EVERYBODY can understand that a long-term feature has no changed ... and for the better. And that for those sticks in the mud (such as myself), that things can be changed for the worse if that's what you want. And remember, not everybody reads the changelog, and if they do, not everybody understands it. And yes, I understand that not everybody updates version to version and trying to be all-encompassing is the way to madness.

But how about something like this:

SINCE THE LAST UPDATE: Big enhancement to Tag Browser! It now defaults to breaking Authors down by Letter of Last Name. You can then expand the letter. You DO have the option of modifying the break down (Complete last names, for example. So you can see all the Smiths at once). Or you can go back to the old standard by going Preferences|Tweaks and adding categories_collapse_more_than=0 at the end of your customizations. By the way, when you edit tags, no more having to move the window around. It remembers where you put it last time. Plus, the back page button in the book viewer now works as advertised. In other changes, Calibre has added support for Google Nexus S, Motorola Backflip, Samsung Galaxy Tablet, PocketBook 603/903, EEEReader DR900 and the NextBook. There are small improvements in EPub to Mobi, Mac OSx and Sony conversions. Plus the usual little bug fixes and updates to the News section. Checkout the full Changelog at http://calibre-ebook.com/whats-new.

[OK]

If you need some help in developing these non-techie changelogs, I'll gladly offer to help. The above is a quick first draft of the last changelog entry. It might STILL be too techie. But the news about the interface change is maybe a 'little' more user-friendly than the changelog text.

GM
Thank you, Gary. I'm one of the non-techies who would benefit by your suggestions. Calibre is an excellent program that I benefit from daily but there is much about it I do not understand (to put it mildly). Fortunately, with the exception of getting my libraries to read LN, FN and still sort properly, the excellent tech help from people here has enabled me to get around that lack of understanding (or, at least, get me functional). Of course, it doesn't help that I have ADD.

@Walt. One problem the that techies have is knowing what about what they know is not common knowledge for non-techies. Although most of you have forgotten more about computers than I will ever know, I'm actually just as bad. I'm a musician (and would have been starving had it not been for day--and night--jobs). Even though I don't consider myself to be all that knowledgeable aqbiut music, I still forget I know more than most people and have been reminded many a time to simplify my explainations when, such as, directing a group of singers.

Last edited by Lady Fitzgerald; 01-02-2011 at 06:49 AM.
Lady Fitzgerald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 06:25 AM   #28
pusskins
pusskins began at the beginning.

Device: ipod touch
I'm convinced I'm missing something obvious, I updated to 0.7.36 this morning and now my tag catagories panel is empty and clicking manage user catagories has no effect. As a non techie is there a simple thing I've missed or is it a bad install and I should retry?
One thing Calibre was running when the install was started is this the cause of the problem?

Yours aye
Puss
pusskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 06:51 AM   #29
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by pusskins View Post
I'm convinced I'm missing something obvious, I updated to 0.7.36 this morning and now my tag catagories panel is empty and clicking manage user catagories has no effect. As a non techie is there a simple thing I've missed or is it a bad install and I should retry?
One thing Calibre was running when the install was started is this the cause of the problem?
Have you quit and restarted calibre? If that doesn't work try rebooting your system and let us know if the problem persists.

Good Luck.
Old 01-02-2011, 08:17 AM   #30
Marok
Marok is a glorious beacon of lightMarok is a glorious beacon of lightMarok is a glorious beacon of lightMarok is a glorious beacon of lightMarok is a glorious beacon of lightMarok is a glorious beacon of lightMarok is a glorious beacon of lightMarok is a glorious beacon of lightMarok is a glorious beacon of lightMarok is a glorious beacon of lightMarok is a glorious beacon of light

Device: kindle G3
Thanks for the quick-fix tweak.
**Phew**
Marok is offline   Reply With Quote