Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 05-29-2022, 07:50 PM   #1
onfire4g05
onfire4g05 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW5
PW5 - Deshielded Motherboard Photos/Teardown

I haven't been able to find any motherboard photos of the PW5 without their shielding and thought it may help someone not have to destroy theirs for finding where certain components might be.

Also, the backside of the board is glued, so must be pried off.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20220529_233848876.jpg
Views:	327
Size:	655.1 KB
ID:	194029   Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20220529_232345275.jpg
Views:	238
Size:	807.6 KB
ID:	194030  
onfire4g05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2022, 07:13 AM   #2
shamanNS
Guru
shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW5 [bricked], Kindle PW1
There are photos submited to FCC:

https://fccid.io/2AYXP-6252/Internal...ternal-5369878

But resolution on those is to low to be able to read the text on the chips.

Also those FCC photos show the board that has potentional serial connection contact pads and those are missing on production units.

Could you please post a photo that show a closer look at RAM, eMMC, CPU text? My bricked PW5 will probably have to be fixed by desoldering eMMC...

Last edited by shamanNS; 05-30-2022 at 12:22 PM.
shamanNS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2022, 10:16 AM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by shamanNS View Post
There are photos submited to FCC:

https://fccid.io/2AYXP-6252/Internal...ternal-5369878

But resolution on those is to low to be able to read the text on the chips.

Also those FCC photos show the board that has potentional serial connection contact pads and those are missing on production units.

Could you please post a photo that show a closer look to RAM, eMMC, CPU text? My bricked PW5 will probably have to be fixed by desoldering eMMC...
Did you brick your PW5 or was it bricked during a firmware update? If it wasn't your fault, contact Amazon for warranty replacement.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2022, 01:58 PM   #4
onfire4g05

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Did you brick your PW5 or was it bricked during a firmware update? If it wasn't your fault, contact Amazon for warranty replacement.
I actually got it from an Amazon return/salvage aftermarket store... so, who knows why it was returned and my guess is it probably already has been RMA'd.
Old 05-30-2022, 02:16 PM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by onfire4g05 View Post
I actually got it from an Amazon return/salvage aftermarket store... so, who knows why it was returned and my guess is it probably already has been RMA'd.
In that case, it would most likely be blacklisted. In plain English, mostly useless.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2022, 02:23 PM   #6
onfire4g05

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
In that case, it would most likely be blacklisted. In plain English, mostly useless.
Yeah, that's what I was thinking, too. It would have been fun to see it boot, though. Figure if I ever get a PW5, I'll at least have a good working screen/backlight/potential replacement battery if I need it. No problems with any of those components.
Old 07-18-2022, 08:13 PM   #7
mbrisco
(gtfo/freak)
mbrisco ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbrisco ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbrisco ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbrisco ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbrisco ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbrisco ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbrisco ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbrisco ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbrisco ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbrisco ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbrisco ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Likebook Alita
I'm trying to figure out where the magnet attachment points are to make a custom case. All the cases I saw have the two points on the right edge, but one of them also had two on the left edge. I no longer have access to that case. Did you see where those magnet attachment points would be under the screen bezels?

(Not for the Hall effect sensor, but for the stay-closed magnets that keep the cover on the screen.)
mbrisco is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
pw5, teardown