Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 11-17-2017, 08:45 AM   #1
Owl_
Enthusiastic reader
Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paperwhite3, Kobo aura one, kobo touch 2.0, Kobo Clara HD,Poke2
Help with my new ereader

Hi, I've bought a Aura One but I'm doing little disappointing experience:

I downloaded my .mobi ebooks from my kindle paperwhite3 to the kobo and
I updated the firmware to the version 4.6.9995 but the device is still too slow to open several books and even to turn page!
Moreover I can't underline or use the popup dictionary at all...
What can I do?
Could anyone help me?

thanks
Owl_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 10:06 AM   #2
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Owl_ View Post

I updated the firmware to the version 4.6.9995 but the device is still too slow to open several books and even to turn page!
What can I do?
Could anyone help me?

thanks
Avoid using mobi formats on the Kobo.

Instead install and use calibre and use it to convert from mobi to either epub or kepub format.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-17-2017, 03:06 PM   #3
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Owl_ View Post

What can I do?
Could anyone help me?

thanks
The mobi format support in Kobo's firmware dates back to the original Mobipocket format and Amazon made quite a few changes over the years since they purchased Mobipocket (an advantage of a proprietary format) so having issues with mobi format is pretty much to be expected. Highlighting and dictionary use are not supported on mobi.

As PeterT recommended, load your mobi format books into Calibre, update the metadata and covers, convert them to epub (or kepub) and send them to your Kobo.

I'm quite surprised that many of them would open since you made no mention of stripping DRM.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 11:27 AM   #4
Owl_
Enthusiastic reader
Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paperwhite3, Kobo aura one, kobo touch 2.0, Kobo Clara HD,Poke2
It works!!

Thanks, I downloaded the plugins for calibre, enabled the fullscreenreading and insered the .css file to correct the margins and now the ereader works wonderfully!

But I was thinking: with this tweaks am I risking to brick or do harm to the device?

If they are safe, could you copy a link with others interesting features that I can enable with the Notepad++ ? (I searched but I haven't found a complete list)
Owl_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2017, 04:24 AM   #5
Wolfsbruder
Connoisseur
Wolfsbruder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wolfsbruder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wolfsbruder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wolfsbruder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wolfsbruder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wolfsbruder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wolfsbruder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wolfsbruder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wolfsbruder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wolfsbruder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wolfsbruder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Aura One, Kobo Forma, Kobo Elipsa
Don't worry, editing your .css file and converting book formats does not risk your new KA1.
Wolfsbruder is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert