Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Editor

Notices

Old 10-02-2016, 08:37 PM   #1
C-novice
ReadingZealot
C-novice is a marvel to beholdC-novice is a marvel to beholdC-novice is a marvel to beholdC-novice is a marvel to beholdC-novice is a marvel to beholdC-novice is a marvel to beholdC-novice is a marvel to beholdC-novice is a marvel to beholdC-novice is a marvel to beholdC-novice is a marvel to beholdC-novice is a marvel to behold

Device: kobo ARC, Samsung Tab4
[SOLVED] Using Calibre book editor -text style please

Hi
Can anyone tell me how to or is there an option to edit a book in Calibre's book editor text-style only?

I mean to edit directly from the text instead of the html stuff?

Last edited by C-novice; 10-03-2016 at 10:35 PM.
C-novice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 08:48 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by C-novice View Post
Hi
Can anyone tell me how to or is there an option to edit a book in Calibre's book editor text-style only?

No, this is not a WYSIWYG editor

File Preview (Pane) will show the Text and allows you to split a file into smaller chunks.

Also Clicking on the preview text causes the HTML view to jump to the containing block
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-02-2016, 09:05 PM   #3
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Hi

No

The Sigil ePub editor can up to a point. But it's far from perfect.

Why do you need to edit the epub - i.e. what's wrong with it?

If you are proficient in the use of Word or OO Writer you might be better off round tripping a conversion to DOCX through either of them, editing in a familiar environment, and importing the saved DOCX into editor to do any necessary fine adjustments.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 09:23 PM   #4
C-novice
ReadingZealot
C-novice is a marvel to beholdC-novice is a marvel to beholdC-novice is a marvel to beholdC-novice is a marvel to beholdC-novice is a marvel to beholdC-novice is a marvel to beholdC-novice is a marvel to beholdC-novice is a marvel to beholdC-novice is a marvel to beholdC-novice is a marvel to beholdC-novice is a marvel to behold

I created a 26 page doc with LO, converted it to epub with Calibre but it did not show my headings and appear it won't. So I pdf'd it with bookmarks -epub again and still the same so I thought I'd just edit it with the book editor.

I may just have to use Word then.
Thanks to all for your help.
Old 10-02-2016, 09:57 PM   #5
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
I created a 26 page doc with LO, converted it to epub with Calibre but it did not show my headings and appear it won't. So I pdf'd it with bookmarks -epub again and still the same so I thought I'd just edit it with the book editor.

Try Libre Office and Writer2EPUB plugin (forum below Sigil)
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-02-2016, 10:07 PM   #6
C-novice
ReadingZealot

Thank you theducks. With the options/suggestions given, I'm sure I'll get it done.
Thanks again.
Old 10-03-2016, 02:19 AM   #7
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:

If you you use LO Styles on your document and save it as DOCX and import into the Calibre Editor, via File->Import HTML or DOCX, chances you won't need to do any XHTML editing.

If you don't how to use LO Styles, see ==>> LO Styles and Formatting

No point in using Word, I'd suggest you do the same thing. And don't bother with PDF as an intermediate format, it's the worst possible format from which to create an ePub.

The Writer2Epub plugin has problems with later versions of LO - read the first couple of posts in its forum Ψ².

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 10:30 PM   #8
C-novice
ReadingZealot

I installed Sigil and that's working out nicely. I used it a few years ago when I was using Windows all the time. Haven't used it on Linux until now.

Thanks very much everyone for all your help.

I felt compelled to just say a huge thank you again. I've done my little epub and can read my compiled margin notes on my tablet in a decently done epub format with toc all nicely laid out.

-yayy!! for Calibre and Sigil.

Last edited by C-novice; 10-04-2016 at 11:56 PM.