Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 06-03-2017, 05:54 PM   #1
Hexadecimal
Enthusiast
Hexadecimal began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3 32G
KPW3-32 debricking

Hello there.

So, after misunderstanding some bad translation, I flashed bad system update (a normal KPW3 one) binary into my device. Then, it rebooted into the booting screen, and I cannot reboot or find it in my PC as well.

I tried to connect it by TTL serial, but after booting nothing was written to PUTTy. I thought it was GND wire's fault, then tried to solder that again. Then of my bad soldering skill, the tin plate was removed.

OK.. Now I am trying to redo. Does anybody know how to get that update file into kindle with serial?
Hexadecimal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 06:35 PM   #2
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Follow this:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=287032

The only difference will be the name of the update file you use.
Procedure will be the same.

We don't have links to the Amazon update files for the PW3-32, you'll have to find those on Amazon Japan.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-03-2017, 06:51 PM   #3
coplate
Guru
coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: prs-505, Kindle Keyboard 3g, PW3
You can wire to ground nearly anywhere on the device. I did my ground under the contacts for one of the screws that hold the board onto the screen, those copper circles are ground.

Also if the serial pads on the front of the board are too small to solder to, I ended up soldering to the back of the board ( you will need really thin wire in order to put it back on )

You can see my pictures in the last post of this thread, on mine the serial pads on the back were labeled TM800 and TM801, this matches the 'P800 SERIAL DEBUG' listed on the front of the board.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...2&postcount=40
coplate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 05:42 AM   #4
Hexadecimal
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
Follow this:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=287032

The only difference will be the name of the update file you use.
Procedure will be the same.

We don't have links to the Amazon update files for the PW3-32, you'll have to find those on Amazon Japan.
I've got that update file. But... Serial port seemed to be no output at all. I think it might be totally unusable, that I've connected by soldering, with this result. I thought that was of bad soldering, but I used that pin connection method, not working either.

Is that update binary also corrupting the diags system? Or maybe it is really only my bad soldering skill... Btw the serial to USB connector is OK, tested on RPi.

Last edited by Hexadecimal; 06-04-2017 at 05:45 AM.
Old 06-04-2017, 05:43 AM   #5
Hexadecimal
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by coplate View Post
You can wire to ground nearly anywhere on the device. I did my ground under the contacts for one of the screws that hold the board onto the screen, those copper circles are ground.

Also if the serial pads on the front of the board are too small to solder to, I ended up soldering to the back of the board ( you will need really thin wire in order to put it back on )

You can see my pictures in the last post of this thread, on mine the serial pads on the back were labeled TM800 and TM801, this matches the 'P800 SERIAL DEBUG' listed on the front of the board.

Hmm... Thanks! That worth a retry.
Advert
Old 06-04-2017, 08:36 AM   #6
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hexadecimal View Post
Hmm... Thanks! That worth a retry.
Most likely, you have Tx, Rx reversed.
Use:
Tx -> Rx
Rx <- Tx
Be certain you are using the correct interface voltage (1.8v lvttl).

Check that the serial port configuration is set properly:
115200,8,N,1

If it does not work, you have done something wrong.
It can not 'go bad' without physical damage to the SoC or the motherboard.

Ref:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=267541
Part 3, Step 3
Read all parts, all steps, even if you are not using Windows, there is a lot of information in that thread you will find useful.

Note:
All touchscreen devices are the same, with two exceptions:
The physical location of the serial port (the pin-out pattern is the same on all) ;
The name of the update file used ;

Tell us what PC, OS, and Terminal emulator program you are using.
It is difficult to provide help in a vacuum of context.

Unless you start typing things that we do not tell you to type,
your diags system is safe from harm.
Only you can screw it up.

Last edited by knc1; 06-04-2017 at 09:22 AM.
Old 06-04-2017, 06:18 PM   #7
Hexadecimal
Enthusiast

Quote:
Most likely, you have Tx, Rx reversed.
Use:
Tx -> Rx
Rx <- Tx
Be certain you are using the correct interface voltage (1.8v lvttl).

Check that the serial port configuration is set properly:
115200,8,N,1

If it does not work, you have done something wrong.
It can not 'go bad' without physical damage to the SoC or the motherboard.

Ref:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=267541
Part 3, Step 3
Read all parts, all steps, even if you are not using Windows, there is a lot of information in that thread you will find useful.

Note:
All touchscreen devices are the same, with two exceptions:
The physical location of the serial port (the pin-out pattern is the same on all) ;
The name of the update file used ;

Tell us what PC, OS, and Terminal emulator program you are using.
It is difficult to provide help in a vacuum of context.

Unless you start typing things that we do not tell you to type,
your diags system is safe from harm.
Only you can screw it up.
I have tried swapping the connection Tx, Rx. However, nothing was output in either way.

I am using a self-assembled PC. The CPU is e3-1230 v5. My system is Windows 7 with SP1, x64. I'm just using PUTTy to do this. All these thing are tested worked in a plain situation.

Well... I have to go to school now. Maybe next weekend I will give it a try.
Old 06-04-2017, 06:22 PM   #8
knc1
Going Viral

If you have checked everything else, then you most likely are not using the required 1.8volt interface level to the serial port.

Note:
The same serial port is used, in succession:
SoC built-in ROM code ;
U-Boot ;
Linux kernel ;

So there is plenty to be seen.
Unless you have fried the serial port with the wrong voltage or made a wiring error.
Those are the only choices at this point.
Old 06-05-2017, 05:32 AM   #9
Hexadecimal
Enthusiast

Quote:
If you have checked everything else, then you most likely are not using the required 1.8volt interface level to the serial port.

Note:
The same serial port is used, in succession:
SoC built-in ROM code ;
U-Boot ;
Linux kernel ;

So there is plenty to be seen.
Unless you have fried the serial port with the wrong voltage or made a wiring error.
Those are the only choices at this point.
Oh... I measured the voltage. It's about 5V... So that must be the reason. Now I'm getting a new one.

I hope this will not be too high for those chip...

Last edited by Hexadecimal; 06-05-2017 at 05:36 AM.
Old 06-05-2017, 07:42 AM   #10
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Oh... I measured the voltage. It's about 5V... So that must be the reason. Now I'm getting a new one.

I hope this will not be too high for those chip...
It is outside of the manufacturer's specifications.
Could be you have gotten lucky and not fried the interface, or more likely unlucky.

It seems strange that you would think that a 3.3 volt chip would have a 5.0 volt interface (not that it is impossible, but highly unlikely).
Even stranger that you would not have checked it before connecting to it.
Old 06-06-2017, 05:27 AM   #11
Hexadecimal
Enthusiast

Quote:
It is outside of the manufacturer's specifications.
Could be you have gotten lucky and not fried the interface, or more likely unlucky.

It seems strange that you would think that a 3.3 volt chip would have a 5.0 volt interface (not that it is impossible, but highly unlikely).
Even stranger that you would not have checked it before connecting to it.
Sorry... I thought all the TTY Serial are the same
Old 06-06-2017, 05:29 AM   #12
Hexadecimal
Enthusiast

Quote:

Hmm.. I wonder if TM800 is Tx and TM801 is Rx? Or something else..?
Old 06-06-2017, 07:43 AM   #13
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Why not disconnect the battery and do a continuity test yourself?
Be sure to use a tester that is safe for use on lv-cmos parts.
Old 06-06-2017, 03:03 PM   #14
coplate
Guru
coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: prs-505, Kindle Keyboard 3g, PW3
Quote:
If I didn't cross the wires board RX is on top, board TX is on bottom, matching the front. ( circled in purple ), but you can see that I have tape over them, so I'm not sure which on is 800 and which is 801 anymore
coplate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 01:17 AM   #15
Hexadecimal
Enthusiast

Quote:
If I didn't cross the wires board RX is on top, board TX is on bottom, matching the front. ( circled in purple ), but you can see that I have tape over them, so I'm not sure which on is 800 and which is 801 anymore
Alright... Got to be test it out myself