View Poll Results: What do you prefer?
Justified (centre) 67 45.89%
Left aligned (ragged right) 63 43.15%
Does not matter 16 10.96%
Voters: 146. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-18-2016, 05:46 PM   #31
church mouse
Evangelist
church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kobo Clara HD, Kobo H2O, Boox Poke 2
I voted for justify.

I happen to prefer no hyphenation as well. Perhaps, because I read with a pretty small font I have never really suffered with crazy spacing issues.
church mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2016, 05:54 PM   #32
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple Lady View Post
Just curious - would you be able to read something like this? I was going also do a screen print with a ragged right, but I forgot that Bookari can't do left justify anymore.

Attachment 153643
Yes, better than a ragged right side.
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-18-2016, 06:02 PM   #33
Purple Lady
Grand Sorcerer
Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Huawei MediaPad M5, LG V30, Boyue T80S, Nexus 7 LTE, K3 3G, Fire HD8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terisa de morgan View Post
You've got a much better brain than me then. My brain takes too long to put the words with huge spaces between back together again. I end up losing concentration and just give up. Maybe this is my dyslexia rearing its ugly head.
Purple Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2016, 06:15 PM   #34
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
You've got a much better brain than me then. My brain takes too long to put the words with huge spaces between back together again. I end up losing concentration and just give up. Maybe this is my dyslexia rearing its ugly head.
I prefer no such huge spaces but I can stand it. Left aligned, I can't. I have to modify the book.
Old 12-18-2016, 06:42 PM   #35
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
Well, I wouldn't like to have huge spaces in the middle of a line, but I have run across this only a few times. Usually in the ebooks I read, the spaces between words are pretty small, no matter what kind of justification is used.
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-18-2016, 08:42 PM   #36
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
I prefer justified with occasional ragged rights when justified creates too much empty space, which is what kindle used to do with the old mobi format

I dislike hyphen-
ation.
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2016, 11:32 PM   #37
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
I have a strong preference for full justification with hyphenation. If I read on a narrower screen I'd use more aggressive hyphenation settings to avoid word spacing problems. I'd rather have a hyphenated word at the end of every other line than a ragged right margin.
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 12:08 AM   #38
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
I don't know. That text looks a lot like my Palm E2, where I read two years, and you get used to it if you felt rage with the ragged border
Old 12-19-2016, 12:39 AM   #39
Dopedangel
Wizard
Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boyue
I selected doesn't matter but I don't like either the extra space between words added or the jagged edges. For reading I use coolreader app that has a hyphenation dictionary which solves the problems for many instances.
Dopedangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 03:09 AM   #40
cromag
Surfin the alpha waves ~~
cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Jetbook Lite & Mini, Nook STR, Kobo, Hanvon N516, Kindle 2, Androids
I strongly, strongly prefer "justified" text. And I adjust the fonts to be on the larger than average size.

A ragged right edge really slows me down.

Quote:
Just curious - would you be able to read something like this? I was going also do a screen print with a ragged right, but I forgot that Bookari can't do left justify anymore.

Attachment 153643
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terisa de morgan View Post
Yep, me too. In fact, on my JetBook Lite (I think a 5 inch screen?) I find it easier to scan the words, even with large-ish spaces.
cromag is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 04:48 AM   #41
auspex
Groupie
auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Nexus 5x
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopedangel View Post
I selected doesn't matter but I don't like either the extra space between words added or the jagged edges. For reading I use coolreader app that has a hyphenation dictionary which solves the problems for many instances.
Totally! I'd prefer justification but imo it isn't worth it if it doesn't hyphenate.

I'd also prefer to be able to put coolreader on my e-reader :-)
auspex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 06:57 AM   #42
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Quote:
I am on the opposite side of spectrum than you - no problems with reading ever, very fast reader, and I strongly prefer ragged right.

We were conditioned to like full justification, because books are usually printed that way, but the [paper] books have enough characters on line that you do not get this uneven-spacing problems. Plus, typesetting for printed books used to be done by a trained human hand that can address problems with non-uniform typographical grey.

Newspaper columns are also printed that way - typically very narrow columns, but they have to be printed with full justification, because otherwise you would have difficulty seeing the right border of the column.
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 07:48 AM   #43
doubleshuffle
Unicycle Daredevil
doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura HD (R.I.P. After six years the USB socket died.) tolino shine 3
Using left-aligned text has no justification whatsoever.
doubleshuffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 07:56 AM   #44
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
On a Kobo reader, yes. On the Sony 950 or the horrible Onyx Boox 60 I started out on it wasn't possible. And of course Amazon knows best, so you can only view an ebook the way they present it on their hardware.
But, there are choices. You can buy a Reader that does typesetting including hyphens without the need for a special secret format. You can buy a Reader that you can install apps that do this. So yes, there are choices and you can choose a Reader to present the text in a pleasing way or not.

If a Reader doesn't display as you like, get one that does.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 08:04 AM   #45
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:

Attachment 153643
That looks awful. Terrible font, wide gaps, and no hyphenation. I'll stick with a program & Reader that handles typesetting that works for me.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote