Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 04-14-2012, 12:10 PM   #1
HANZ
HANZ began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
PRS-T1 charge runs out in a single day!

I have rooted my device around 2 weeks ago and everything has been fine until 2 days ago. The E-reader basically just froze and wasn't responding to anything. I attached the usb cable from my computer and that seemed to help boot up the device. On start up it literally had 0% charge. The device would still work and when fully charged I could take out the cable and use it as normal. However, the device simply refuses to shut down and generally it is much more unstable. Initially, it did say the googleframework app crashed or something like that, so I decided to uninstall that and the android market in the hopes of resolving this issue for good.

Unfortunately, the same issue has occurred today. It froze, i used the cable to help boot it up and there is 0% charge. I think it is important to know that ever since the initial crash, there has been an orange light that flashes on and off (near the power button).

What does this mean? And should I recover my device? (I am a little unsure about recovering as I haven't done much reading on it, so what exactly does that do? Or is there another solution?).

Some more details: I have installed 2 games from the market, I used a mod version of the homescreen (the one that changes recently added to recently read), I also installed an alternative homescreen (This one: http://blog.the-ebook-reader.com/201...reader-prs-t1/) But the weird thing is that the reader was working perfectly for around 2 weeks, so I really cannot pinpoint the cause.

If more detail is needed please ask.

Thanks.
HANZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 04:08 AM   #2
carpetmojo
Wizard
carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony- T3, PRS650, 350, T1/2/3, Paperwhite, Fire 8.9,Samsung Tab S 10.5
Quote:
Originally Posted by HANZ View Post
I have rooted my device around 2 weeks ago and everything has been fine until 2 days ago. The E-reader basically just froze and wasn't responding to anything. I attached the usb cable from my computer and that seemed to help boot up the device. On start up it literally had 0% charge. The device would still work and when fully charged I could take out the cable and use it as normal. However, the device simply refuses to shut down and generally it is much more unstable. Initially, it did say the googleframework app crashed or something like that, so I decided to uninstall that and the android market in the hopes of resolving this issue for good.

Unfortunately, the same issue has occurred today. It froze, i used the cable to help boot it up and there is 0% charge. I think it is important to know that ever since the initial crash, there has been an orange light that flashes on and off (near the power button).

What does this mean? And should I recover my device? (I am a little unsure about recovering as I haven't done much reading on it, so what exactly does that do? Or is there another solution?).
Some more details: I have installed 2 games from the market, I used a mod version of the homescreen (the one that changes recently added to recently read), I also installed an alternative homescreen (This one: http://blog.the-ebook-reader.com/201...reader-prs-t1/) But the weird thing is that the reader was working perfectly for around 2 weeks, so I really cannot pinpoint the cause.
If more detail is needed please ask.hanks.
Sounds like the perfect "sling it back at the retailer you bougfht it from for a replacement, nothing else acceptable - unless you've bricked it so bad by now your warranty's done for .........
carpetmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-17-2012, 07:12 AM   #3
Mark Nord
2B || !2B
Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Sony PRS505/650/T1/tolino vision 5
For what it's worth, check over at the-ebook.org
http://translate.googleusercontent.c...69_Y0FKebn-S7Q

scroll down to: Package PRS-T1_FIX_SHUTDOWN
Mark Nord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 08:22 AM   #4
LuvReadin
Addict
LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1 and Cool-ER
Quote:
Originally Posted by carpetmojo View Post
Sounds like the perfect "sling it back at the retailer you bougfht it from for a replacement, nothing else acceptable - unless you've bricked it so bad by now your warranty's done for .........
Agree - sounds like a lemon. Even leaving the wifi on woudn't drain the battery that fast.
LuvReadin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 12:03 PM   #5
rkomar
Wizard
rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, PB 902, PRS-T1, PB 623, PB 840, PB 633
The device is rooted and has new software installed, so I don't buy this 'device is a lemon and should be returned' advice. I don't think the OP does either. In terms of advice, I would say look for processes that take power (simple to say). It could be something using the WiFi, or the sound (can plug in the headphones to check), or the CPU. I don't know a lot about rooting the T1, but if you used adb in the process, then you should be able to connect to the device using 'adb shell', and do some snooping from the command-line on the T1. Use 'ps -a -x -l' to see what processes exist, and if any are currently running. Look at how much time each has spent executing to see if any one of them is hogging hours of CPU time. I've also read reports here in the past where crud on the screen causes the IR touch interface to waste time reacting to and ignoring the events. The 'dmesg' command shows you the system logs, and can often be useful for finding out low-level problems.
rkomar is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-18-2012, 11:34 AM   #6
HANZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkomar View Post
The device is rooted and has new software installed, so I don't buy this 'device is a lemon and should be returned' advice. I don't think the OP does either. In terms of advice, I would say look for processes that take power (simple to say). It could be something using the WiFi, or the sound (can plug in the headphones to check), or the CPU. I don't know a lot about rooting the T1, but if you used adb in the process, then you should be able to connect to the device using 'adb shell', and do some snooping from the command-line on the T1. Use 'ps -a -x -l' to see what processes exist, and if any are currently running. Look at how much time each has spent executing to see if any one of them is hogging hours of CPU time. I've also read reports here in the past where crud on the screen causes the IR touch interface to waste time reacting to and ignoring the events. The 'dmesg' command shows you the system logs, and can often be useful for finding out low-level problems.
Thanks for your help. I had already unrooted the device so I won't be able to use the system logs. But since it is unrooted there shouldn't be any apps 'running in the background' so to speak.

Unfortunately the problem still persists.

The only thing I haven't tried yet is a factory reset, which I'm hoping will do the trick.

I'll post back when I've done that.
Old 04-19-2012, 05:59 PM   #7
carpetmojo
Wizard
carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I think I've got a rogue - bog standard, but it's lasting a month now ....
Old 04-19-2012, 06:00 PM   #8
HANZ

Ok, it has been over a day now and the battery icon is still full. This means that my device is now fixed!

For anyone who has the same problem, simply unroot (or do a sd-card rescue), and then simply do a factory reset.

I certainly wouldn't be rooting again...
Old 04-20-2012, 03:17 AM   #9
carpetmojo
Wizard

Unhappy Ooh, quick, some wood.......

Quote:
Originally Posted by HANZ View Post
Ok, it has been over a day now and the battery icon is still full. This means that my device is now fixed! .........
Dum da-dum-dum....du-u-u-u-m..............

A vould vait a leetle longer, senor .........

[ possible 2 nations /language stuff - UK : from "touch wood" for o-o-er don't say it moments..... ]
Old 04-20-2012, 01:02 PM   #10
HANZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by carpetmojo View Post
Dum da-dum-dum....du-u-u-u-m..............

A vould vait a leetle longer, senor .........

[ possible 2 nations /language stuff - UK : from "touch wood" for o-o-er don't say it moments..... ]
Well it has been almost 3 days now and the battery icon is still full.

Look, I knew it worked because before I could literally watch the battery icon lose a bar after each startup and as mentioned before, the battery wouldn't last for more than one day.

Now it's all good