Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 05-19-2018, 01:17 PM   #1
lukeoftheaura
Enthusiast
lukeoftheaura began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
display "spotty" or inconsistent?

On my kobo aura HD, the display of the device seems spotty or inconsistent - some pixels seem to be a lighter color than others, some pixels doesn't seem to display anything, etc. However, you can't seem to see any of these problems on the "powered off" screen, and they're inconsistent between screen refreshes. Is this normal and expected of eInk or is my device damaged, because it's driving me crazy.
lukeoftheaura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 01:51 PM   #2
Abtacha
Addict
Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

You might be seeing ghosting, try changing the screen refresh to every page in the reading settings and see if that helps.
Abtacha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 02:10 PM   #3
lukeoftheaura
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abtacha View Post
You might be seeing ghosting, try changing the screen refresh to every page in the reading settings and see if that helps.
that seems to have worked for nickel somewhat, although menus and such still have this issue. Is there also a way to change this in koreader and plato?
Old 05-19-2018, 02:15 PM   #4
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Some fonts can look spotty because of faulty hinting, if you are using a sideloaded font, try switching to one of the built-in fonts to compare. If the problem is with the sideloaded font, it can be fixed by using a program such as fontforge to remove the hinting.
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 02:42 PM   #5
lukeoftheaura
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffR View Post
Some fonts can look spotty because of faulty hinting, if you are using a sideloaded font, try switching to one of the built-in fonts to compare. If the problem is with the sideloaded font, it can be fixed by using a program such as fontforge to remove the hinting.
I'm not using a sideloaded font, this is just with the default fonts in menus (and some UI elements like sliders etc)
Old 05-23-2018, 01:39 PM   #6
JeanOlivier
JeanOlivier is a glorious beacon of lightJeanOlivier is a glorious beacon of lightJeanOlivier is a glorious beacon of lightJeanOlivier is a glorious beacon of lightJeanOlivier is a glorious beacon of lightJeanOlivier is a glorious beacon of lightJeanOlivier is a glorious beacon of lightJeanOlivier is a glorious beacon of lightJeanOlivier is a glorious beacon of lightJeanOlivier is a glorious beacon of lightJeanOlivier is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by lukeoftheaura View Post
I'm not using a sideloaded font, this is just with the default fonts in menus (and some UI elements like sliders etc)
It's normal to be able to discern what was previously on the screen even after it was "erased" with a eink display, it's called ghosting. The only fix for that is to do a full refresh of the screen, the one that flashes black and white before displaying the proper image.

Personally, I don't really mind the ghosting when reading books, it reminds me of the translucency of paper where you can see the text on the other side of the page, after a few page turns is averages out to indiscernible blobs anyways..

I do full refreshes after I close most menus though, as the structured lines are annoying.
JeanOlivier is offline   Reply With Quote