Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 03-28-2018, 05:48 PM   #16
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by emanueol View Post
I imagine that going for 10.5" I wonder it could be possible to view 2 pages pdf side by side while holding ipad in landscape mode ?
Would this be a feature all (PDF) readers support ?

Thanks.
I have both GoodReader and PDF Expert and I don't think either supports displaying 2-pages side by side. Mind, I think 10.5" is pretty small to do that comfortably with A4 or letter-size documents. Note, the only PDFs I read are textbooks or technical documents. For recreational, I read epubs using Marvin.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2018, 06:11 PM   #17
Marinolino
Groupie
Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura-One (using KOReader app), Boox Note-3, iPad(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
I have both GoodReader and PDF Expert and I don't think either supports displaying 2-pages side by side. Mind, I think 10.5" is pretty small to do that comfortably with A4 or letter-size documents. Note, the only PDFs I read are textbooks or technical documents. For recreational, I read epubs using Marvin.
I remember using GoodReader' double-page mode on iPad a couple of years ago, double-page restriction was for iPhone only, if I remember correctly.

Yep, in most cases there is really no use of using double-page mode on 10" screen for the plain reading of textbooks or technical documents, because it makes letters very small and also increases the amount of operating memory used and the possibility for out-of-memory crashes, except for some smaller comics like manga and some smaller sized A5 books.

As for the mentioned difference between 9.7 and 10.5 screens, some could really find it beneficial reading one-column A4 documents (17-19 cm text width) on 10.5 screen, because its landscape width is about 1.7 cm (0.66 inch) longer, 2224 to 2048 @ 265 ppi, so, we can get even more magnification with zoomed page without margins (compared to paper document) than on 9.7" screen.

Of course we can use a reflow mode instead (using Goodreader, Foxit etc.) when letters on 9.7 reader are to small, if we don't mind different page layout after reflowing to original pdf or ocr mistakes for ocr-ed pdf scans.

Last edited by Marinolino; 03-28-2018 at 07:13 PM.
Marinolino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2018, 07:04 PM   #18
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marinolino View Post
Maybe for iPhone only, because I remember using GoodReader' double-page mode on iPad a couple of years ago.

Yep, in most cases there is really no use of using double-page mode on 10" screen for the plain reading of textbooks or technical documents, because it makes letters very small and also increases the amount of operating memory used and the possibility for out-of-memory crashes, except some smaller comics like manga and some smaller sized A5 books.

As for the mentioned difference between 9.7 and 10.5 screens, some could really find it beneficial reading one-column A4 documents (17-19 cm text width) on 10.5 screen, because its landscape width is about 1.7 cm (0.66 inch) longer, 2048 to 2224 @ 265 ppi, so, we can get even more magnification with zoomed page without margins (compared to paper document) than on 9.7" screen.
I stand corrected. GoodReader does have 2-page mode. I kept looking for the icon for 2-page mode but apparently, it's grouped with/hidden behind the icon that I thought was for reflow. I never did figure out how to get out of reflow mode so I steered clear of that icon.

I don't think I even have GoodReader installed on my iPhone. Seems pointless on such a small screen and I always have my iPad with me anyway.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2018, 07:14 PM   #19
Cootey
Absentminded Reader
Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Clara HD, Elipsa; Kindle Paperwhite 3 & 4; iOS eReader apps
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker8 View Post
There is a calibre companion for the iPad in the Apple app store. That's what I use. It works well for me. Unless you hack your iPad, all apps are downloaded from the Apple app store. Some people call it The Walled Garden.

Marvin will connect to Calibre, but it doesn't do PDF.

I believe that if you have multiple apps that support PDF, you will be presented with a selection, if there is only one app, then if opens up automatically. iBook understands PDF's and is built into the iPad, but many people prefer Goodreader, which you can download from the Apple app store.

What is that iPad Calibre app called?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Cootey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2018, 04:00 AM   #20
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Pwalker told you what it’s called : Calibre Companion.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2018, 01:25 PM   #21
emanueol
Enthusiast
emanueol doesn't litteremanueol doesn't litter

Device: Huawei Mediapad M5 8" and 10", Boox Onyx Max, Amazon Fire 8HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cootey View Post
What is that iPad Calibre app called?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/cali...171161691?mt=8
emanueol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2018, 02:32 PM   #22
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
I read a couple of the reviews about caibre companion.

I've been using it since the iOS version first came out. There are a couple of things to keep in mind. First, it's a straight port of the calibre companion app for android. Second, while it seems than development on the android version continues, the iOS version was basically completed as the two developers were in the process of leaving for other work and the iOS version only gets updated when they have time from their day jobs, so it's not exactly a polished iOS product like you see from a major company with a big programming staff. [note, this is my understanding of the situation. I'm not connected with anyone involved so don't take my understanding as gospel]

Looking at the reviews, it seems that people either give it 5 stars or 1 star. While I can think of a lot of improvements (I'm a developer, I've found that after you get a program into customers hands and see how they actually use it, you spend a good year or two of improving and fixing bugs to get a polished product), it does the job that I need it to do quite nicely, so I would give it 5 stars. I can't really say if it will do what you need it to do, but it does follow the calibre UI pretty closely. That means that there is a definite un-iOS feel about it.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2018, 04:09 PM   #23
emanueol
Enthusiast

Quote:
I read a couple of the reviews about caibre companion.

I've been using it since the iOS version first came out. There are a couple of things to keep in mind. First, it's a straight port of the calibre companion app for android. Second, while it seems than development on the android version continues, the iOS version was basically completed as the two developers were in the process of leaving for other work and the iOS version only gets updated when they have time from their day jobs, so it's not exactly a polished iOS product like you see from a major company with a big programming staff. [note, this is my understanding of the situation. I'm not connected with anyone involved so don't take my understanding as gospel]

Looking at the reviews, it seems that people either give it 5 stars or 1 star. While I can think of a lot of improvements (I'm a developer, I've found that after you get a program into customers hands and see how they actually use it, you spend a good year or two of improving and fixing bugs to get a polished product), it does the job that I need it to do quite nicely, so I would give it 5 stars. I can't really say if it will do what you need it to do, but it does follow the calibre UI pretty closely. That means that there is a definite un-iOS feel about it.
Thanks for the feedback pwalker8 (myself also a
developer - more precisely an oracle database developer

Really love Caliber, and anyone seriously with ebooks quickly learn that its hard as we may have to buy ebooks from different stores and/or eve websites.. its tricky, so Caliber its a must to have all our books (and "others" ssssh organized.. Couldnt live without it, thats why its good to know theres a caliber companion option.

Seems theres also some ios readers able to connect directly to caliber server, but then they dont support PDFs, or bad/low features when reading PDFs (which is the best format for technical books).. so seems theres not many alternatives in ios for the ios caliber companion.. as seems not many readers that connect directly to a caliber server give good PDF support ?!..

Old 03-31-2018, 06:51 PM   #24
Cootey
Absentminded Reader
Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Clara HD, Elipsa; Kindle Paperwhite 3 & 4; iOS eReader apps
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Pwalker told you what it’s called : Calibre Companion.

LOL That’s a very functional name. I can be forgiven for thinking he was describing the app, not identifying it, can’t I?

Sent from my iPhone, proving definitively that I’m all thumbs.

http://DouglasCootey.com
Cootey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2018, 07:35 PM   #25
emanueol
Enthusiast

Quote:
LOL That’s a very functional name. I can be forgiven for thinking he was describing the app, not identifying it, can’t I?

Old 03-31-2018, 07:46 PM   #26
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:

Functional names often work very well to use as a Search argument in the Apple App store. The word Calibre should work fine.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 01:44 AM   #27
crashnburn
Groupie
crashnburn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crashnburn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crashnburn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crashnburn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crashnburn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crashnburn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crashnburn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crashnburn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crashnburn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crashnburn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crashnburn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad1 iOS 5.1.1b, iPhone 4
Following this thread.. Wondering if there are any updates/ ways to do things.
crashnburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 08:36 AM   #28
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by crashnburn View Post
Following this thread.. Wondering if there are any updates/ ways to do things.
According to the store, the last update was about a year ago for CC. Still works fine for me and I haven't really seen anything I like better.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 04:32 AM   #29
crashnburn
Groupie
crashnburn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crashnburn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crashnburn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crashnburn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crashnburn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crashnburn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crashnburn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crashnburn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crashnburn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crashnburn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crashnburn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad1 iOS 5.1.1b, iPhone 4
Quote:
According to the store, the last update was about a year ago for CC. Still works fine for me and I haven't really seen anything I like better.
Thanks for that insight.
crashnburn is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
caliber, caliber companion, ios, ipad pro