Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 12-07-2017, 11:25 AM   #1
quazardous
quazardous began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura One
Manage epub and keep read progress

Hi,

I want to move the files on my Kobo Aura One but read progress is reset.

Is there a way to move files without loosing read progress.

Maybe with the SQLite dB ?

Thx
quazardous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 06:32 PM   #2
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
What do you mean by "move"? Do you mean you want to rearrange the directory structure of your sideloaded kepubs?

If that is the case, the simplest way to do it is using calibre. My Kobo Utilities plugin has a method to store and restore the reading status of all books on the device. You can use this to store the reading status, then remove the books and resend them using calibre. After the device process them, you can connect again and restore the reading positions.

The plugin is doing this by reading and updating the database on the device. That means you could do it yourself. It wouldn't be that hard, but you need to modify at least two table for each book, and potentially five or six. And if you get it wrong, then the status will be lost and the book treated as a new book.

I can take you through how to do this, but it will take time. If you are already a calibre user, look at the plugin. It should be able to do what you want.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 02:02 AM   #3
quazardous

thx,

I'll try calibre again but that was not very strait forward (internal library, device, etc).

is there some explanation on the table ? I've looked into the readdable sqlite with sqlite browser but I was not able to spot a simple Book table...

I'm a dev, for me it's easier to quick dev some simple tool VS using 1% of calibre process...

EDIT : yes I meant move btw

Last edited by quazardous; 12-08-2017 at 02:08 AM.
Old 12-08-2017, 03:21 AM   #4
quazardous

well I'll toy with calibre. the kepub format seams an improvement.

My use cae :

- download epub on the go from my Kobo
- start reading
- manage epub / convert etc trying to keep read progression
- finish reading ;p

I ll see if I can manage with calibre
Old 12-08-2017, 12:23 PM   #5
quazardous

little feedback

so I've played around with Calibre and manage to move and clean up all the epub

basically the steps are
- import all epub in Calibre
- install / config Kobo driver/plugin (create needed fields, map them, etc)
- save progression
- edit metadata
- remove all changed ePub from Kobo (because metadata are read once by Kobo)
- regenerate epub or kepub
- export to device
- unplug / plug Kobo
- put progression back
Old 12-08-2017, 06:18 PM   #6
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by quazardous View Post
little feedback

so I've played around with Calibre and manage to move and clean up all the epub

basically the steps are
- import all epub in Calibre
- install / config Kobo driver/plugin (create needed fields, map them, etc)
- save progression
- edit metadata
- remove all changed ePub from Kobo (because metadata are read once by Kobo)
- regenerate epub or kepub
- export to device
- unplug / plug Kobo
- put progression back
Yes, that's basically right. You don't have to do it all in one go, but that will really depend on how many books are involved.

The remove and resend steps are not that needed if you just want to update the metadata. The utilities plugin can update the metadata on the device. But, as you want to rearrange the files on the device it is needed this time.
Old 12-09-2017, 12:31 PM   #7
quazardous

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
Yes, that's basically right. You don't have to do it all in one go, but that will really depend on how many books are involved.

The remove and resend steps are not that needed if you just want to update the metadata. The utilities plugin can update the metadata on the device. But, as you want to rearrange the files on the device it is needed this time.
yes but not for all metadatas. Authors seam to be read from (k)epub at first import. So the no brainer way is to delete and import again... Of course won't do for big library....
Old 12-09-2017, 06:45 PM   #8
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
yes but not for all metadatas. Authors seam to be read from (k)epub at first import. So the no brainer way is to delete and import again... Of course won't do for big library....
The metadata is only read when the book is first imported on the device. This, of course, includes the author, and is the same for all formats that include metadata. The Kobo Utilities plugin has a "Update metadata in device database" function that does exactly that. Including the author and metadata that isn't read during the import.
Old 12-10-2017, 01:20 PM   #9
quazardous

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
The metadata is only read when the book is first imported on the device. This, of course, includes the author, and is the same for all formats that include metadata. The Kobo Utilities plugin has a "Update metadata in device database" function that does exactly that. Including the author and metadata that isn't read during the import.
got the db corrupted toying with this driver option.

had to reset device...

Can't say it's safe.

series managment is very bad too even with title mapping...

I'll give it another try but for now I want to finish readding my novel lol.
Old 12-10-2017, 02:45 PM   #10
compurandom
Guru
compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo aura h2o, kobo forma
I mess with updating metadata heavily using kobo/calibre.

The only way I've ever corrupted the database was by accidentally unplugging when the device wasn't properly ejected, or resetting the device when it hung.

The kobo utils have not corrupted the database on me. However, as some operations *do* require ejecting and letting the kobo scan the files, it's real easy to accidentally unplug without ejecting while doing that.

As to deleting/re-adding a book to update metadata, the only metadata that this is actually required for is:
* filename on device (who cares about this anyway?)
* table of contents within the book
* other formatting changes within the book

Some metadata like shelves and covers can be added when the book is added.
Most other metadata has to be added after the book is scanned by the device. using the calibre kobo utilities plugin.

I think covers are cached in ram when the book is on the home screen, so occasionally updating the cover doesn't take effect right away. A reboot of the device will fix that, but eventually it picks up the new cover without a reboot or remove/re-add.

I can't think of any other meta-data special cases, but I'm sure there are some.
compurandom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 05:54 PM   #11
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
It is unlikely that this actually caused a database corruption. And if it did, it will be the first time it has been reported. It is more likely that it showed an existing problem or that the problem was triggered by something else done at the time. For the latter, as compurandom suggested, the most likely reason is not safely ejecting the device.
Quote:
had to reset device...
By that do you mean a factory reset? If so, that is overkill. You can just sign out of the Kobo account on the device and that will fix things.
Quote:
Can't say it's safe.
If you think so, you probably want to avoid using any of the Kobo Utilities functions, or for that matter, calibre with the Kobo device.
Quote:
What do you mean by that? I set the series on the device and I create collections for each series. I can view those collections and sort by series or view the author and sort by series. I'm not sure what else is needed. Or do you mean in calibre?
Old 12-14-2017, 09:17 AM   #12
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:

had to reset device...

Can't say it's safe.

I'll give it another try but for now I want to finish readding my novel lol.
If this really wasn't safe and it really did corrupt the database, many people would be posting about it. Given that's not the case, it's user error.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 02:09 AM   #13
quazardous

well it can be user error but I was paying attention to eject and stuff.

The fact is that I've end up with an import loop : so it is not safe by definition. I'm not complaining here I did mess up my kobo ;p

I think some of you are over protective with calibre lol I do love open source. I m managing web servers. but I also admit that some times things can be messy. And kobo + calibre is messy : lots of wikis are outdated, some options are redundant (metadata plugboard vs driver options). I m sure it will do well at some point but with some efforts and some factory reset.
Old 12-15-2017, 08:23 AM   #14
geek1011
Wizard
geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Aura Edition 2 v1, Clara HD
Quote:
well it can be user error but I was paying attention to eject and stuff.

The fact is that I've end up with an import loop : so it is not safe by definition. I'm not complaining here I did mess up my kobo ;p

I think some of you are over protective with calibre lol I do love open source. I m managing web servers. but I also admit that some times things can be messy. And kobo + calibre is messy : lots of wikis are outdated, some options are redundant (metadata plugboard vs driver options). I m sure it will do well at some point but with some efforts and some factory reset.
I agree about calibre. It is kind of messy. I usually just read the source code, and find out what is done well, what could be done better, and what isn't done at all, then make some standalone tools to do what I want.

My biggest dislikes about calibre is: it's folder structure, how it is hard to version with git, it's meta tags (except for series, and I'm a purist), it's calibre# classes (again, I'm a purist), it's black boxness (I don't know exactly what goes in and out of the db), and it's too many features.

I still use calibre for certain tasks, but then I clean the ebook up afterwards.

For the calibre developers: don't feel bad, I am like this about quite a few other tools. I'm the kind of person who like manually editing ebooks with bash, grep, sed, vim, and vscode. I also still use calibre, a bit in an indirect way.
geek1011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 01:16 PM   #15
quazardous

@geek1011 share yout tools -> I love command line tools with bash and the joy of gawk lol