Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 12-04-2017, 07:48 PM   #1
dmevis
Enthusiast
dmevis began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Glowlight 3
Nook Partitioning Update

I complained (in writting) to B&N when I received my Nook GL3 and they updated the firmware to create a small partition for side-loaded books. Today I received an email from B&N asking me if I want to beta-test a new firmware version that makes all 6.5GB available for either Nook-books or side-loaded books.

Perhaps B&N listens to their Customers more than we think.
dmevis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 12:06 AM   #2
dordale
Wizard
dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 & 350; Kindle Voyage; Kobo Aura HD, Aura One, and Forma
That is promising--and I would definitely be interested in the GL3 if it weren't for the partitioning!
dordale is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-05-2017, 08:17 AM   #3
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Same here, though the last thing I need is another ereader LOL. I have 2 by Amazon and 3 by Kobo.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 08:23 AM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmevis View Post
I complained (in writting) to B&N when I received my Nook GL3 and they updated the firmware to create a small partition for side-loaded books. Today I received an email from B&N asking me if I want to beta-test a new firmware version that makes all 6.5GB available for either Nook-books or side-loaded books.

Have you gotten this beta firmware and if so, does it work to remove the partitioning?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 10:46 AM   #5
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:

Dare to dream.

If they remove the partition, I will buy (another) Glowlight 3. As for now, it's a nice reader for my better half, but for me I'll stick with my Aura.

I hope that beta firmware goes somewhere.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-05-2017, 10:50 AM   #6
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:

What address did you write to? I sent an email to lriggio@bn.com and got a phone call back. But though the lady was very nice nothing seemed to go anywhere.
Old 12-05-2017, 11:14 AM   #7
Apparition B5
Zealot
Apparition B5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apparition B5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apparition B5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apparition B5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apparition B5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apparition B5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apparition B5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apparition B5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apparition B5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apparition B5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apparition B5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3 and iPad Air 5
That's good news. That's the only thing holding me back from purchasing a GlowLight 3. I already have and really like a Kindle Voyage, but competition is good.
Apparition B5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 12:53 PM   #8
dmevis
Enthusiast
dmevis began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Glowlight 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Have you gotten this beta firmware and if so, does it work to remove the partitioning?
I received a message from B&N Nook Development that the firmware (Version 48.3.10 / 4.8.3.10) is now available for download to my device. However, I am at work and won't be able to download it until tonight.
dmevis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 01:22 PM   #9
tiltowait
Zealot
tiltowait considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.tiltowait considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.tiltowait considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.tiltowait considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.tiltowait considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.tiltowait considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.tiltowait considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.tiltowait considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.tiltowait considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.tiltowait considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.tiltowait considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.

Device: Kobo Aura One
This partition thing is kind of funny. While in practical terms, it doesn’t affect me at all (I only have ~600MB of eBooks), it bothers me as a matter of principle. I could see myself buying the Glowlight 3 if they reverse this policy, simply to show support—even though I don’t need one.
tiltowait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 02:22 PM   #10
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
I received a message from B&N Nook Development that the firmware (Version 48.3.10 / 4.8.3.10) is now available for download to my device. However, I am at work and won't be able to download it until tonight.
If they come through with this and make it available to all users, I'll buy another Glowlight 3 right away at full price.
Old 12-05-2017, 03:01 PM   #11
Kaysclie
Addict
Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Forma, Aura One,Ipad Pro 10.5, Oasis 3
I bought my Glowlight 3 about a week or so ago and am very happy and satisfied with it. Actually I am delighted with it. Although the partitioning did bother me on a "just because" level, I figured I could deal with it. I don't keep that many books at a time on my devices. But many people seem offput by the partitioning and I understand that. But I bet the G3 would see an upswing in sales if Nook followed through and made things right with an update. I hope they do and hope the company can compete....I too favor competition!
Kaysclie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 06:06 PM   #12
downeaster59
Wizard
downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad mini 6, Onyx Leaf 2, Onyx Tab Mini C, Nook Glowlight 4 Plus
Can anyone else test this beta? Though I have my storage workarounds in place, I'm interested in this as well.
downeaster59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 06:11 PM   #13
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by downeaster59 View Post
Can anyone else test this beta? Though I have my storage workarounds in place, I'm interested in this as well.
But your workarounds don't actually work to allow the nG3's ePub reading software to work for side loaded eBooks on the download partition. So (IMHO) it doesn't work well enough to bother with.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 06:28 PM   #14
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by downeaster59 View Post
Yes, I'd love to beta test it (then only update from it if guaranteed that I wouldn't lose that partition going forward). That's why I asked what email address s/he wrote to.
Old 12-05-2017, 06:42 PM   #15
downeaster59
Wizard
downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad mini 6, Onyx Leaf 2, Onyx Tab Mini C, Nook Glowlight 4 Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
But your workarounds don't actually work to allow the nG3's ePub reading software to work for side loaded eBooks on the download partition. So (IMHO) it doesn't work well enough to bother with.
Ah, but I have only 200 or so books on my NG3, so I have all of them in both partitions! Seeing no need to carry thousands of books at once - since I only read one book at a time - this works for me! I can, then, read any book on the device with either the NG3's software or any reading app I install.
downeaster59 is offline   Reply With Quote