Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-09-2017, 11:05 AM   #1
kulikov
kulikov doesn't litterkulikov doesn't litter

Device: pw1
Upload books to Kindle without sharing your email password

I just started to use kindle and I’m little bit disappointed that there are no simple way to upload a book into my ‘Your Content’ area. The only way is upload by email.
I don’t like idea to authorize any 3d party software to send email on behalf of me. Idont want to save my email password into book library software.

So I started my research and I found easy way to upload books .
If someone is interested, please welcome.

My starting point was following, when you are sending email to your mail provider SMTP protocol is used. Exactly the same protocol as sending email to your secret@kindle.com account.
So why not to send a book to @kindle.com directly?

I run ‘dig kindle.com mx’ command to see what smtp server receiving mail for kindle.com domain.
It is retail-smtp-in.amazon.com.

See below simple instructions for Calibre library to upload books to amazon.

1. Open your Content Settings
https://www.amazon.com/mn/dcw/myx.ht...ttings/payment
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot-from-2017-11-09-17-25-56_1.png
Views:	337
Size:	115.3 KB
ID:	159932

Scroll down to ‘Approved Personal Document E-mail List’.
And authorize your secret@kindle.com email to send email to your kindle.

2. Use following settings in your Calibre library
Send mail from: your secret@kindle.com email.
SMTP Hostname: retail-smtp-in.amazon.com

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot-from-2017-11-09-17-46-59_1.png
Views:	358
Size:	101.4 KB
ID:	159933

Last edited by DiapDealer; 11-09-2017 at 12:38 PM.
kulikov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 11:17 AM   #2
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by kulikov View Post
I just started to use kindle and I’m little bit disappointed that there are no simple way to upload a book into my ‘Your Content’ area. The only way is upload by email.
There are several ways to send personal documents to your account besides email. See the Send to Kindle page for other options.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 12:11 PM   #3
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
On the first part, I have never had to give my password to email something to my kindle..
You go to manage my kindle and put in the email address you are sending from.

That bottom part is a different way to send. It says optionally.

It looks like you tell the top part the email address.

You don't need to fill out the bottom part.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 01:56 PM   #4
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
I use this
https://www.amazon.com/gp/sendtokindle/pc

It works great, no email needed. You don't need to send to any device either, just upload it to the cloud. Give it a try.

It also can be set as a printer that sends the documents as PDFs.

Sent from my XT1528
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 02:02 PM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Completely untrue. You can simply transfer files via USB.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 02:15 PM   #6
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 1, 2, 3, Voyage, Oasis 2 & 3, Fires, Aura HD, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I believe (s)he's talking about uploading into the "Your content and devices" area on amazon.com

As others have said, you don't need to give your password to anyone...you can either download the "send to kindle" app, or you can simply email the book to your whatever@kindle.com email address (as long as you have whitelisted your email address with your Amazon account, which does NOT require putting in your email password)

Shari
shalym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 04:00 AM   #7
kulikov

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I wrote "upload a book into my ‘Your Content’ area" not to kindle directly.

For sure using USB is good alternative to cloud
Old 11-10-2017, 04:08 AM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
I wrote "upload a book into my ‘Your Content’ area" not to kindle directly.

For sure using USB is good alternative to cloud
Thanks - it wasn't clear to me what you meant. Even if you are talking about uploading to the Cloud library, though, you don't have to use email. You can, as others have said, use the "Send to Kindle" application.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 05:36 AM   #9
kulikov

Quote:
Originally Posted by shalym View Post
I believe (s)he's talking about uploading into the "Your content and devices" area on amazon.com

As others have said, you don't need to give your password to anyone...you can either download the "send to kindle" app, or you can simply email the book to your whatever@kindle.com email address (as long as you have whitelisted your email address with your Amazon account, which does NOT require putting in your email password)

Shari
Thank you for idea. I'll try it.
Old 11-10-2017, 11:00 AM   #10
Robmonster
Wizard!
Robmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Voyage + Oasis2
Why is emailing a book to your @kindle.com address exposing your password? The only place the password would be stored is in your email client, and it will only be passed to your email server to login with. Amazon would not know what your email password would be.
Robmonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 02:47 PM   #11
rem736
purpose priority passion
rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs-350, b&n ngp, rM2, kindle scribe, boox poke5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robmonster View Post
Why is emailing a book to your @kindle.com address exposing your password? The only place the password would be stored is in your email client, and it will only be passed to your email server to login with. Amazon would not know what your email password would be.
he's not emailing by using an email program directly. in this example, he's using calibre to email to his kindle email address. and to do this in calibre, you have to enter the email credentials for the account you want calibre to use to send out the email.
rem736 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 04:52 AM   #12
Robmonster
Wizard!
Robmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Voyage + Oasis2
Ok, however that is still only being used to contact their email service provider.

To eliminate that, use Calibre to show you the folder the library book is stored in, and email it ourself in your own client

Why is having Calibre store the password a problem?
Robmonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 05:07 AM   #13
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
The only problem I se here is that some service providers block port 25. But I think it's an interesting discovery.

If your ISP does allow outgoing port 25 connections, it seems to be a much better way to configure calibre.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 08:29 AM   #14
NullNix
Guru
NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle Oasis 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
The only problem I se here is that some service providers block port 25. But I think it's an interesting discovery.

If your ISP does allow outgoing port 25 connections, it seems to be a much better way to configure calibre.
Amazon often discriminates against port 25 connections, not only from domestic IP space but from completely random places (it doesn't seem to be using a normal blacklist, since my IP space is unblacklisted non-domestic space but often affected anyway): affected connections can be very slow or simply rejected out of hand. Routing things via your gmail account via -r smtp.gmail.com -e TLS -p 587 -u your.email@gmail.com --password ... fixes this completely.
NullNix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 07:41 PM   #15
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 1, 2, 3, Voyage, Oasis 2 & 3, Fires, Aura HD, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by NullNix View Post
Amazon often discriminates against port 25 connections, not only from domestic IP space but from completely random places (it doesn't seem to be using a normal blacklist, since my IP space is unblacklisted non-domestic space but often affected anyway): affected connections can be very slow or simply rejected out of hand. Routing things via your gmail account via -r smtp.gmail.com -e TLS -p 587 -u your.email@gmail.com --password ... fixes this completely.
What do you mean? How is Amazon discriminating against port 25? Amazon doesn't care what port you use to send email to their service. Are you saying that you're trying to set up your Kindle to send email? Is this a Kindle Fire? If so, I don't think it's Amazon that is blocking port 25, it's probably whatever Internet provider you're using at the time. I know that my ISP, Cox, blocks port 25 for anything except connections to their own SMTP servers.

Shari
shalym is offline   Reply With Quote