Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Alternative Devices

Notices

Old 04-14-2009, 10:56 AM   #1
stoogeswoman
Zealot
stoogeswoman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.stoogeswoman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.stoogeswoman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.stoogeswoman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.stoogeswoman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: eBookwise 1150 and Kindle 1
Just traded my boring old cell phone for a Palm Centro!!

I'm slowly but surely moving into the 21st century ... first a Kindle and now a Palm Centro!

I really like all the features (at least the ones I've been able to figure out so far, nyuk nyuk! - including the available e-book technology! The screen is a little smaller than I'm comfortable with for serious reading, but I've put a couple of Project Gutenberg files on there, in case I get stuck in the subway or a traffic jam.

The only problem I'm having so far is with the bluetooth headset - I'm just not good at using those teeny tiny little things that have to actually be stuck in your ear.

Plus I'm embarrassed to say that I can't quite figure out exactly how it's actually supposed to be positioned in my ear! (Please, someone tell me I'm not the only one who had to try & figure this out! )

I don't give a rat's ass how it looks, so other than appearances, is there anything particularly wrong with just using a regular over-the-top-of-your-head headset with microphone?
stoogeswoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 12:11 PM   #2
Elsi
Wizard
Elsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle; Sony PRS 505; Blackberry 8700C
Re: Bluetooth headset -- they come in many shapes. Perhaps you've picked one that doesn't work well with your ears. Due to health concerns, the stores don't have any models that you can "try on" before you buy, but I've been told that if the headset isn't comfortable for you it can be returned.

The benefit of a bluetooth headset is that you don't need wires between your phone and the headset. It's on the order of those wireless mice. But as long as your new phone supports a plugged in headset for hands-free operation, there's nothing wrong with it at all.

You might consider going to the store where you purchased the bluetooth headset and asking a clerk to help you adjust it and get it sync'ed with your phone. There's usually someone around who is willing to be helpful.
Elsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-14-2009, 12:43 PM   #3
stoogeswoman
Zealot
stoogeswoman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.stoogeswoman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.stoogeswoman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.stoogeswoman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.stoogeswoman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elsi View Post
Re: Bluetooth headset -- they come in many shapes. Perhaps you've picked one that doesn't work well with your ears. Due to health concerns, the stores don't have any models that you can "try on" before you buy, but I've been told that if the headset isn't comfortable for you it can be returned.

The benefit of a bluetooth headset is that you don't need wires between your phone and the headset. It's on the order of those wireless mice. But as long as your new phone supports a plugged in headset for hands-free operation, there's nothing wrong with it at all.

You might consider going to the store where you purchased the bluetooth headset and asking a clerk to help you adjust it and get it sync'ed with your phone. There's usually someone around who is willing to be helpful.
Nah, I ordered it online, direct from Verizon. But I appreciate the suggestions - I am going to go to a brick&mortar store sometime this week and see what I can find.
Old 04-14-2009, 01:21 PM   #4
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoogeswoman View Post
Nah, I ordered it online, direct from Verizon. But I appreciate the suggestions - I am going to go to a brick&mortar store sometime this week and see what I can find.
If you want the headset for your car while driving, I suggest skipping the headset or ear piece and for a hands free unit. You can get one that will use your car stereo (or not) to make hearing the other person clearer.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 04:47 PM   #5
stoogeswoman
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
If you want the headset for your car while driving, I suggest skipping the headset or ear piece and for a hands free unit. You can get one that will use your car stereo (or not) to make hearing the other person clearer.
Actually, I guess I'm really old school, because I don't use my phone in my car at all - when I'm the driver, anyway. I just want a headset so I can use it comfortably in other situations, without bothering those around me.
Advert
Old 04-17-2009, 12:11 PM   #6
stoogeswoman
Zealot

I should add, I'm actually amazed and pleased at the e-book capability! I've put several books on it (mostly freebies) and it's not as hard to read as you'd think. I certainly wouldn't want to do ALL my reading on it, but it's definitely easier to carry with me when I'm out walking around town than my full-sized readers.
Old 05-08-2009, 05:26 PM   #7
emmerich
emmerich began at the beginning.

Device: Palm Centro
I actually do use my Palm Centro as my primary ebook reader. The smaller screen took some getting used to (from my old Palm z22, which still isn't very large, as ebook readers go) but I'm quite comfortable with it. I have both eReader and Mobipocket on there and both work just fine for me.
emmerich is offline   Reply With Quote