Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 12-17-2016, 09:04 PM   #1351
Oibgzfka
Oibgzfka can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterOibgzfka can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterOibgzfka can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterOibgzfka can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterOibgzfka can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterOibgzfka can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterOibgzfka can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterOibgzfka can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterOibgzfka can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterOibgzfka can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterOibgzfka can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by twobob View Post
Important notice for KOA/KT3 owners:

As of right now, and for reasons outside of our control, Kindlets will fail to run on these devices, so you can disregard the earlier bit about the azw2 file.
The K5 collections manager requires the kindlet kit... and I think it's also a kindlet. Can I make it work on KT3 somehow?
Oibgzfka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2016, 10:12 PM   #1352
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oibgzfka View Post
The K5 collections manager requires the kindlet kit... and I think it's also a kindlet. Can I make it work on KT3 somehow?
Just like was done with KUAL, convert it from using the Kindlet interface to using the Booklet interface.
The interfaces are very similar, KUAL was converted in about one day last July.

The original public repository is at:
https://bitbucket.org/ixtab/ktcollectionsmgr/src
But the most current (and recommended) repository is here:
https://bitbucket.org/NiLuJe/ktcollectionsmgr/src
(I recommend NiLuJe's because not all of the more recent changes have not (yet) been pushed to the original repository.)

Do the usual git dance; clone, change, when satisfied with your changes, issue a pull request.
(Although ixtab is gone from this site, others have write/admin access to that repository.)

The Booklet interface is not going away any time soon, the Kindle's GUI is a Booklet.

Last edited by knc1; 12-17-2016 at 11:07 PM.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-18-2016, 02:52 AM   #1353
Oibgzfka
Oibgzfka can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterOibgzfka can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterOibgzfka can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterOibgzfka can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterOibgzfka can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterOibgzfka can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterOibgzfka can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterOibgzfka can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterOibgzfka can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterOibgzfka can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterOibgzfka can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
Just like was done with KUAL, convert it from using the Kindlet interface to using the Booklet interface.
The interfaces are very similar, KUAL was converted in about one day last July.

The original public repository is at:
https://bitbucket.org/ixtab/ktcollectionsmgr/src
But the most current (and recommended) repository is here:
https://bitbucket.org/NiLuJe/ktcollectionsmgr/src
(I recommend NiLuJe's because not all of the more recent changes have not (yet) been pushed to the original repository.)

Do the usual git dance; clone, change, when satisfied with your changes, issue a pull request.
(Although ixtab is gone from this site, others have write/admin access to that repository.)

The Booklet interface is not going away any time soon, the Kindle's GUI is a Booklet.
Thank you for replying. I've absolutely no idea about how to do any of that, but never mind that for now. Let me ask you a beginner's question, though: by porting the collection manager to booklet format, I sidestep the kindlet kit requirement, right? I mean, and sorry if I'm talking nonsense, I don't have to port the kit as well, right? Thank you very much.
Old 12-18-2016, 08:06 AM   #1354
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Thank you for replying. I've absolutely no idea about how to do any of that, but never mind that for now. Let me ask you a beginner's question, though: by porting the collection manager to booklet format, I sidestep the kindlet kit requirement, right? I mean, and sorry if I'm talking nonsense, I don't have to port the kit as well, right? Thank you very much.
You really have got me on that one.

I have no positive knowledge of the answer, but a lot of negatives that suggest the answer:
"Kindlet Jailbreak not (currently) required for Booklets"
I.E: A Booklet can request any and all (Java) permissions.

I do seem to recall a comment in one of the control files that implied that could (or will) change when Amazon/Lab126 switches to signed jars.
(That same comment is why I want to determine if JBpatch can handle the case of signed jars.)

I do not recall NiLuJe needing to make a different Kindlet jailbreak.
Which seems reasonable, since a Booklet is not inside of a 'permissions jail' like Kindlets are.
(Kindlets where intended for the use of after-market add-in developers of active content applications. A program that Amazon has dropped.)

It could be that he did have to make changes and I just missed the fact. I was busy handling the setting up of the International file distribution network.
I.E: NMJ, NMP, I don't know. We had a lot of people working on parts of the JB release that weekend (to make the release on July 4th).

The Kindlet Jailbreak is here:
https://bitbucket.org/ixtab/kindletjailbreak
And it has never been forked. Which suggests to me that NiLuJe (nor anyone else) has ever had to modify it.

But in truth, all of the negative suggestions above can mean is that I just didn't find anything that I looked for, the true answer might be somewhere else than where I looked.

= = = = =

A sign of the times (at Mobileread developers' corner) -
Everyone with a KT3 or a KOA must use the Booklet form of KUAL (that makes it important) -
The Booklet form of KUAL does not behave properly on some newer firmware versions (that makes it broke) -
**Nobody has stepped forward to fix KUAL.**

Q.E.D: Don't hold your breath for a Booklet version of the much less used Collections Manager.

Translation: We are on the edge of change, with hardly any support for 8th. generation devices, if there is ever a 9th. generation device, it will probably mean the end of this development forum.
Just like the PW3-32 - - we do not (and currently can not) support it (it is 8-1/2 gen).

(Although there are signs that 9th generation might be Android rather than Amazon OS.)

Last edited by knc1; 12-18-2016 at 08:21 AM.
Old 12-18-2016, 01:11 PM   #1355
Oibgzfka

Quote:
Q.E.D: Don't hold your breath for a Booklet version of the much less used Collections Manager.

Translation: We are on the edge of change, with hardly any support for 8th. generation devices, if there is ever a 9th. generation device, it will probably mean the end of this development forum.
Just like the PW3-32 - - we do not (and currently can not) support it (it is 8-1/2 gen).

(Although there are signs that 9th generation might be Android rather than Amazon OS.)
I just wanted to manage my stuff locally, without Amazon having anything to do with it (now even collections go to the cloud...), to have a folder for content X, another for Y, and having the Kindle display X books in a X folder with other X volumes, the same going on for Y, etc.

I bought that particular e-reader, from that particular company, because it was all I could afford after much struggle; so, although I will check if I can learn how to port the manager, I don't have much time to put into this — I invested in the KT3 to read books that hopefully will help me improve my situation (currently bad).

If I can't port the manager, I'll hang on to what I got for as long as possible, blocking updates to a newer firmware, making do with the bbb firewall for a minimum of safety and privacy, hoping it will serve its purpose before the software becomes too outdated and risky or the battery dies.
Advert
Old 12-18-2016, 03:54 PM   #1356
knc1
Going Viral

You bring out a good point, and you are not the only one who would like to be in control of how the device behaves.

In fact, most of the activity here is inspired by Amazon's attitude that even though you own the device, they still own the behavior.

For your own case, I would suggest what others seem to like (I don't use this combination myself) -

Manage collections on their PC with Calibre and then use our LibrarianSync add-in to update the Kindle collections to match.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=166
http://calibre-ebook.com/

Also scattered around this forum are add-ins that interface with various on-line file storage services.
That is one way to be sure Amazon isn't data-mining your reading preferences just to improve their bottom line.
Old 12-19-2016, 11:51 AM   #1357
Oibgzfka

I will use Calibre to take care of the books locally, decide beforehand what to read next, and just dump everything in the Kindle and use the search function to find the ones I want. You've been most helpful, knc1, thank you very much.
Old 12-19-2016, 12:36 PM   #1358
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
I will use Calibre to take care of the books locally, decide beforehand what to read next, and just dump everything in the Kindle and use the search function to find the ones I want. You've been most helpful, knc1, thank you very much.
Thank you.
You have the key to the questions -
Find the way you like, use that way.
Old 12-24-2016, 11:47 PM   #1359
brofeelgood
brofeelgood began at the beginning.

Device: K4NT, PW3, PW4
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjaore View Post
It is working now.
But:
I can't see any titles in the upper column and
In the lower column i can only see them after i select all and go to the 2nd page.
I'm observing the same behaviour. The screen is blank. Nothing is shown until you tap the ▶ (Next) button on the lower pane, then the ▶ (Next) button on the upper pane.

I haven't tried the manual collection assignment feature. I manage all my collections in Calibre before transferring them onto the Kindle. No issues encountered with using this method.

PW3, 5.8.7
brofeelgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2016, 02:54 PM   #1360
wakkaday
Groupie
wakkaday can differentiate black from dark navy bluewakkaday can differentiate black from dark navy bluewakkaday can differentiate black from dark navy bluewakkaday can differentiate black from dark navy bluewakkaday can differentiate black from dark navy bluewakkaday can differentiate black from dark navy bluewakkaday can differentiate black from dark navy bluewakkaday can differentiate black from dark navy bluewakkaday can differentiate black from dark navy bluewakkaday can differentiate black from dark navy bluewakkaday can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Kindle Oasis
i woild like this to work on oasis?
wakkaday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2016, 03:06 PM   #1361
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by wakkaday View Post
i woild like this to work on oasis?
Tell Amazon.
This is a Kindlet and it was Amazon that discontinued support for Kindlets on 8th. generation devices.
Old 12-26-2016, 06:30 PM   #1362
zangetsu7363
zangetsu7363 began at the beginning.

Device: PW3
Hi, i have a PW3, 5.8.5, and i can't launch Collection Manager, could you help me?

Thanks

Cedric
zangetsu7363 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2016, 06:48 PM   #1363
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by zangetsu7363 View Post
Hi, i have a PW3, 5.8.5, and i can't launch Collection Manager, could you help me?

Thanks

Cedric
Try this one:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...postcount=1347
That is the most recent one, previous page of this thread.
Old 12-26-2016, 08:23 PM   #1364
zangetsu7363
zangetsu7363 began at the beginning.

Device: PW3
Quote:
Try this one:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...postcount=1347
That is the most recent one, previous page of this thread.
Thank you, now it works !
zangetsu7363 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2016, 02:19 PM   #1365
desterly
Enthusiast
desterly will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowdesterly will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowdesterly will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowdesterly will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowdesterly will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowdesterly will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowdesterly will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowdesterly will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowdesterly will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowdesterly will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowdesterly will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day now

Device: KV,Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by brofeelgood View Post
I'm observing the same behaviour. The screen is blank. Nothing is shown until you tap the ▶ (Next) button on the lower pane, then the ▶ (Next) button on the upper pane.

I haven't tried the manual collection assignment feature. I manage all my collections in Calibre before transferring them onto the Kindle. No issues encountered with using this method.

PW3, 5.8.7
It's 5.8.7 in general. I see the same behavior on my Voyage.

Attempting to get my build environment setup and hopefully find a resolution. I'm assuming there's a method that's off or a refresh change.
desterly is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
collections, collections manager, kindle touch hacks