Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 04-05-2020, 01:45 AM   #16
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo forma, Kobo Libra, Huawei media Tab, fire HD10, PW3 HDX8.9,
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcarscadden View Post
@jswolf, @stumped,

Both of these settings are set to true for me, and when I edit the epub (using Edit Book, shortcut T), I do not get ORIGINAL_EPUB. It seems to me that save_original_format = True is for when you do Conversion to EPUB when there is already an EPUB, and save_original_format_when_polishing = True is for the plugin Modify Epub. I can't see a similar setting for Edit Book, which is the modification I usually do.

Keith
so change your workflow to take advantage of the suggestion - or don't bother...
I said that it works for conversions and for modify e-pub, but maybe not for others, and JSW helpfully explained why and how.
just take a couple of seconds to run modify epub after you modify each book, then you will have the entries you need. You may actually find it useful e.g. one task it automates is correcting TOC after book changes- that is faster than doing it manually.
stumped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 06:56 AM   #17
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by stumped View Post
so change your workflow to take advantage of the suggestion - or don't bother...
I said that it works for conversions and for modify e-pub, but maybe not for others, and JSW helpfully explained why and how.
just take a couple of seconds to run modify epub after you modify each book, then you will have the entries you need. You may actually find it useful e.g. one task it automates is correcting TOC after book changes- that is faster than doing it manually.
Run Modify ePub BEFORE you modify each ePub. That way you have a backup in case you make an unrecoverable mistake and need to go back to the original ePub.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-05-2020, 07:12 AM   #18
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo forma, Kobo Libra, Huawei media Tab, fire HD10, PW3 HDX8.9,
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Run Modify ePub BEFORE you modify each ePub. That way you have a backup in case you make an unrecoverable mistake and need to go back to the original ePub.
that is also valid.
use what ever workflow suits you.

I import book, run epub to epub conversion so that all the stuff I have in extra css and all the ticked filters get applied, and an original_epub gets created...
only then do i edit ( with sigil) , then I finish off with modify epub to clean up ( I have that set to not create yet another original file)

its very rare that i mess up an edit so badly that I need to recover a file, but if so, I usually realise immediately ( e.g. that a replace all has gone horribly wrong) , discard the edit in sigil and start over, or get the one from my last calibre library backup
stumped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 08:20 AM   #19
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by stumped View Post
that is also valid.
use what ever workflow suits you.

I import book, run epub to epub conversion so that all the stuff I have in extra css and all the ticked filters get applied, and an original_epub gets created...
only then do i edit ( with sigil) , then I finish off with modify epub to clean up ( I have that set to not create yet another original file)

its very rare that i mess up an edit so badly that I need to recover a file, but if so, I usually realise immediately ( e.g. that a replace all has gone horribly wrong) , discard the edit in sigil and start over, or get the one from my last calibre library backup
You don't get another original_epub if one already exists.

What filters do you have ticked that you want applied? As for the extra CSS, that's trivial to add in tot he CSS using the editor.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2020, 02:32 PM   #20
kcarscadden
Zealot
kcarscadden is a rising star in the heavenskcarscadden is a rising star in the heavenskcarscadden is a rising star in the heavenskcarscadden is a rising star in the heavenskcarscadden is a rising star in the heavenskcarscadden is a rising star in the heavenskcarscadden is a rising star in the heavenskcarscadden is a rising star in the heavenskcarscadden is a rising star in the heavenskcarscadden is a rising star in the heavenskcarscadden is a rising star in the heavens

Device: iPad Air 5, Samsung Galaxy S20 FE
@BetterRed, @JSWolf, @stumped, I've created a custom column T (for the shortcut key for Edit Book). When I edit a book, I need to remember to update column T. Then I can select on values in column T to find what I want.

@Better Red, However, I would like to create a custom column that is based on the template language value formats_modtimes. When I create a custom column - Column built from other columns as any of :

{formats_modtimes:select()}
{formats_modtimes('EPUB')}
{formats_modtimes:select('EPUB')}

the column creates, but the value in all cases is TEMPLATE ERROR Value: unknown field formats_modtimes

Any clue what I have done wrong?
kcarscadden is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-07-2020, 06:33 PM   #21
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Try this: program: select(formats_modtimes('yyyy-MM-dd'), 'EPUB')

Straight quotes.

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 04-07-2020 at 06:35 PM.
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 11:12 AM   #22
kcarscadden
Zealot
kcarscadden is a rising star in the heavenskcarscadden is a rising star in the heavenskcarscadden is a rising star in the heavenskcarscadden is a rising star in the heavenskcarscadden is a rising star in the heavenskcarscadden is a rising star in the heavenskcarscadden is a rising star in the heavenskcarscadden is a rising star in the heavenskcarscadden is a rising star in the heavenskcarscadden is a rising star in the heavenskcarscadden is a rising star in the heavens

@BetterRed, Look what happens when you find someone who knows what they are doing! Thank-you! That works exactly as it should as far as display in the UI is concerned.

Unfortunately, creating this column does not populate the Calibre database and hence it doesn't appear that I can use MCS to do a search where this column value > timestamp.
Old 04-08-2020, 05:08 PM   #23
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Hmmm - you can't do a regular search on it either, e.g. EPUB file date before Jan 1 2020; but you can sort on it.

I'm half-inclined to regard that as a 'bug', I'll PM the Kovid and chaley and ask them to chime in.

Meantime maybe this plugin can help ==>> Save Composite Custom Columns - it runs when the library is closed, but I'm not sure where it saves the composite (built from other columns) cells.

You could try copying the column to a regular date column using Bulk metadata edit->Search and replace - but if you edit an epub in any way the template and copied columns will get out of whack.

BR
Old 04-08-2020, 05:26 PM   #24
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
Hmmm - you can't do a regular search on it either, e.g. EPUB file date before Jan 1 2020; but you can sort on it.

I'm half-inclined to regard that as a 'bug', I'll PM the Kovid and chaley and ask them to chime in.
It works if you set the sort/search type of the composite column to "date" in column setup. Example: #col:<=2017-08-01 finds the correct values in my test database.
Quote:
Meantime maybe this plugin can help ==>> Save Composite Custom Columns - it runs when the library is closed, but I'm not sure where it saves the composite (built from other columns) cells.
This is a bit complicated. The values are stored in the table "books_plugin_data" with the key (name) "CompositeColumnValues" and the book id (book). The column "val" contains the information for all the composite columns for the book as a json array {lookup_name:value, ...}
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 05:55 PM   #25
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaley View Post
It works if you set the sort/search type of the composite column to "date" in column setup. Example: #col:<=2017-08-01 finds the correct values in my test database.
This is a bit complicated. The values are stored in the table "books_plugin_data" with the key (name) "CompositeColumnValues" and the book id (book). The column "val" contains the information for all the composite columns for the book as a json array {lookup_name:value, ...}
Hi chaley, good to know some of my telepathic messages are getting through

Because it's not showing in the Advanced Search I made an assumption…:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Annotation 2020-04-09 074222.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	51.5 KB
ID:	178184

Name:	Annotation 2020-04-09 073932.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	92.9 KB
ID:	178185

Maybe that could be fixed.

I don't use MCS, I suggest kcarscadden take up why MCS doesn't allow composite date columns with the plugin's author in the MCS thread, with a reference to this one as background.

Thanks for explain on the Save . . . columns, I think kcarscadden can forget that option.

Stay safe mate, your family too.

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 04-08-2020 at 05:57 PM.
Old 04-08-2020, 06:29 PM   #26
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Hi chaley, good to know some of my telepathic messages are getting through
Only the ones I agree to hear.
Quote:
Because it's not showing in the Advanced Search I made an assumption…:

Attachment 178184

Attachment 178185

Maybe that could be fixed.
Yes, it could. And will be. I made the code changes and will submit them to Kovid.
Quote:
Stay safe mate, your family too.

BR
Thanks very much for the wishes. We are of an age where my wife and I must self-isolate as much as possible. Fortunately I have a good relationship with an online grocery from whom I get weekly deliveries, our local pharmacy delivers our meds, and our building complex has nice roof terraces so we can walk outside without crowds.

I hope you and yours have the means to keep healthy, both physically and mentally.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 07:14 PM   #27
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

I spent a couple of weeks in hospital in November, part of it in an ICU where some CV19 victims are now. I was discharged as the fires started, so I started wearing a mask. When I saw what was happening in Taiwan in mid December I decided to hibernate (self isolate). If I could 'see' what was coming in December, why didn't the people who are paid to 'see' the same things.

In fairness, apart from one cock up with a cruise ship, the Australian authorities have handled the pandemic much better than most others. Still a way to go though.

In 1665/6 Britain had the bubonic plague followed by the Great Fire of London. In 2019/20 eastern Australia had the Great Fires followed by the corona-virus pandemic.

BR
Old 04-09-2020, 06:35 AM   #28
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
If I could 'see' what was coming in December, why didn't the people who are paid to 'see' the same things.
In most cases they did "see" but either politics (Italy) or incompetence (maybe Spain? Though one lot of test kits had only 30% accuracy!) got in the way. In the UK & USA it seems that response was initially constrained by economic considerations (The billionaires rely on the labour of ordinary people) till it was evident that they got the sums wrong and too many were going to die.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 06:15 PM   #29
kcarscadden
Zealot

@chaley, @BetterRed, yes, I can search for values within the custom column that is based on the template language value formats_modtimes, as you show. How does Calibre search on the column, when there is no data in the table in the database? (If Calibre search can search on it, MCS should probably be able to search on it.)

I've installed Save Composite Custom Columns, and customized it to run. I've closed Calibre and restarted it. When I look at the Calibre database, I see it has a table books_plugin_data, but this table has no values. Is there something additional I need to do to get it to populate the column?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	cc.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	492.8 KB
ID:	178215   Click image for larger version

Name:	cc2.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	543.9 KB
ID:	178216  
Old 04-09-2020, 07:06 PM   #30
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcarscadden View Post
@chaley, @BetterRed, yes, I can search for values within the custom column that is based on the template language value formats_modtimes, as you show. How does Calibre search on the column, when there is no data in the table in the database? (If Calibre search can search on it, MCS should probably be able to search on it.)

I've installed Save Composite Custom Columns, and customized it to run. I've closed Calibre and restarted it. When I look at the Calibre database, I see it has a table books_plugin_data, but this table has no values. Is there something additional I need to do to get it to populate the column?
When calibre starts or opens another library a memory resident database is built that includes the 'calculation' of composite columns using the specified templates. The memory resident database is used for search, sorting etc and by plugins.

The Save Composite Columns plugin was a bum steer. As chaley explained it doesn't store the composite column values as regular custom columns, afaik it's only used by Calibre Companion which chaley wrote.

I suggest you take up why MCS doesn't allow composite date columns with a post in the MCS thread, include a reference to this one as background. The author, DaltonST, is normally very responsive to issues such as this.

BR