Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 04-03-2020, 07:10 PM   #28831
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
I read The Terminal Experiment by MR's own Robert J. Sawyer. Very enjoyable.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2020, 12:26 AM   #28832
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
I read The Terminal Experiment by MR's own Robert J. Sawyer. Very enjoyable.
Good to hear. I have it on hold at the library. Though it's annoying that it isn't in my BC library -- I had to use the US library I have access to. What's with that, Robert?
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-04-2020, 02:53 AM   #28833
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Next up: By the Pricking of my Thumbs by Agatha Christie. I bought this over ten years ago! And goodness, I didn't read a single Agatha Christie book in 2019!
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrNefario View Post
I just finished that one on Tuesday. It was ok, but that style of book is not my favourite from her.
I must admit to being a little disappointed. Two mysteries, only one resolved, and yet they seemed a bit intertwined. Most unsatisfactory.

But I did like Tommy and Tuppence now that they're about my age.

Next up: No idea.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2020, 03:14 AM   #28834
Lusitanic
Leader
Lusitanic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lusitanic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lusitanic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lusitanic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lusitanic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lusitanic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lusitanic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lusitanic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lusitanic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lusitanic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lusitanic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, Kobo Aura, One Plus 5
I'm reading "station eleven"
Lusitanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2020, 10:59 AM   #28835
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Next up: No idea.
Sleipnir by Linda Evans. A freebie from the Baen FreeLibrary that I picked up in 2008!
Advert
Old 04-04-2020, 02:04 PM   #28836
Luffy
Wizard
Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 4
My review of The Black Cauldron (The Chronicles of Prydain, #2) by Lloyd Alexander:-

Spoiler:
Reading this book was like eating a big bowl of ice cream. Its innocent chivalry and intrepid heroism bear the signature of a genius Fantasy writer.

I thought about the Cauldron long and hard. The reasoning by which the characters travel is childish and not really reasonable. But the story is so good.

The other 4 books in the series are ordinary. This one, is not. I really want to reread it again. Don't we all wish that Disney had stuck to the original book? This too applies. Sigh. At least I'm not lactose intolerant to great stories.
Luffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 04:34 PM   #28837
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by astrangerhere View Post
Having said that, I am LOVING my re-read of War and Peace for the #TolstoyTogether project that Yinyun Li is running.
This group read is getting a fair amount of media attention. I was so glad you mentioned it, as I’ve been meaning to reread War and Peace for years and this was the goad I needed. The daily stints are so very short there are no excuses for not keeping up. Someone could start now and easily catch up, too.
I’m enjoying this lelsurely read, but I’m not entirely happy with the “official” translation by Pevear and Volokhonsky. It may be accurate, and I do like the untranslated French in the text, but it makes for clunky English. The last time I read W&P it was the Dunnigan translation and at least in my memory, it flowed and was more pleasurable. The Dunnigan translation is only $1.99 and I’m toying with the idea of switching over, or at least going back and forth between the two.

On other fronts, for something lighter, I’m about to start the outrageously funny and plainly outrageous Black Mischief by Evelyn Waugh. I’m on a reread of most of his oeuvre. Any other Waugh fans?
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 04:50 PM   #28838
astrangerhere
Professor of Law
astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa, Kobo Libra H20, Kobo Aura One, KoboMini
Quote:
I’m enjoying this lelsurely read, but I’m not entirely happy with the “official” translation by Pevear and Volokhonsky. It may be accurate, and I do like the untranslated French in the text, but it makes for clunky English. The last time I read W&P it was the Dunnigan translation and at least in my memory, it flowed and was more pleasurable. The Dunnigan translation is only $1.99 and I’m toying with the idea of switching over, or at least going back and forth between the two.
That's so interesting! I much prefer the Pevear, but to each his own. When it came out, I remember the New York Times running a side-by-side paragraph of one of the older translations and this. I was sold from the get-go and never looked back. I have since read some of their other translation work and found it just as enjoyable.
astrangerhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 08:24 PM   #28839
Bookpossum
Snoozing in the sun
Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, Kobo Touch
Quote:
(Snip)
On other fronts, for something lighter, I’m about to start the outrageously funny and plainly outrageous Black Mischief by Evelyn Waugh. I’m on a reread of most of his oeuvre. Any other Waugh fans?
Having waded through the blood-soaked ending of Bring Up the Bodies, and then had a bit of R&R with Angela Thirkell's Wild Strawberries, I think some Evelyn Waugh would be a good choice. So I shall join you in this issybird, as I have been rereading Waugh in recent months also.
Bookpossum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2020, 04:39 PM   #28840
Luffy
Wizard
Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

My review of Theft of Swords (The Riyria Revelations, #1-2) by Michael J. Sullivan:-

Spoiler:
This duology of an omnibus struck me as user friendly, but I also realize I had little love for it. Book 1 was definitely better than book two...with a better first, second, and third act. Also a better last chapter.

I thought this last chapter might be missing pages. It ended so suddenly. Another thing is that there was something unsatisfactory about the entire book.

It looked like I was expecting lembas and got cram instead. I can't put my finger on it but I'm in a less hurry in reading the sequels. I gave the rating that reflected on the easy narration. That's a rare plus for me in Fantasy. That's all.
Old 04-08-2020, 01:42 AM   #28841
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

Quote:
Sleipnir by Linda Evans. A freebie from the Baen FreeLibrary that I picked up in 2008!
Which was OK to good, but didn't give Odin enough credit, IMO.

Then I started Crashing Suns by Edmond Hamilton. But I abandoned fairly early on. I'm afraid it just didn't hold up for me. I also discarded the two later books in this series. I was less cautious about purchases in 2008.

But now I'm reading my latest purchase, Highfire by Eoin Colfer. Yesterday's Amazon UK daily deal, and looking like a good buy .
Old 04-10-2020, 09:47 AM   #28842
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

Quote:
But now I'm reading my latest purchase, Highfire by Eoin Colfer. Yesterday's Amazon UK daily deal, and looking like a good buy .
It was enjoyable, but I felt I it didn't really convey the setting very well, and I was unconvinced by the villain. 4/5 only, when I expected a definite 5/5

Next up: A recent Freebie, A Very British History by Paul McAuley. Short SF stories.
Old 04-12-2020, 04:34 PM   #28843
Luffy
Wizard

My review of Skin Game (The Dresden Files, #15) by Jim Butcher :-

Spoiler:
This is the first time I've read Skin Game. I think the world of it. I think it should be taught in schools. I think it should be adapted onscreen by the best of the best. It should have won a Hugo award at least. In comparison all the subsequent books I've tried to read pale in comparison.

So, Harry Dresden's latest adventure - until Peace Talks comes out on July the 14th - has more twists than a slinky. It has more drama than Hamlet, and more revelations than The Book of Three. I was voluntarily spoiled regarding the story because I thought I'll never read it. I was deterred by the first chapter(Parkour!).

The book picks up from the point where Harry has resided on Demonreach island for a long time. Mab comes roiling by and offers Harry a mission. From then on it's wall-to-wall thrills. There are a few references to movie lines (the ones onscreen not those waiting to gain entry) and the one I like the most is from Raiders of the Lost Ark.

I cried when Butters became a Knight of the Cross. I was told about the resuscitating Sword. Butt I still shed tears of wonder and excitement when the event occurred. And the event occurred at the right time. I feared Butters would accomplish this feat when chased by Dresden and co. But this story was tighter than super glue on a bullet wound.

I was happy that Dresden did not really tap Murphy when we thought he had. That too showed remarkable restraint by Jim Butcher. A plot device that has been on since the first book. It has been 20 years since that book got printed. 15 books in twenty years is a great feat. It shows stamina. Creativity under duress.

Frankly, I don't see any other book besting Skin Game this year. The author can write the odd putrid story, and I'm first to criticize him when I think he deserves it. But this book is the best of the series so far and from now the only way is down. Especially for us fans waiting for Peace Talks. Since the book after the latter will be called Battle Ground, it presupposes that the peace talks will have been in vain. But let's not get ahead of ourselves. Toodle-oo for now.
Old 04-12-2020, 04:39 PM   #28844
Luffy
Wizard

My review of A Thin Crust of Murder (Papa Pacelli's Pizzeria, #14) by Patti Benning :-

Spoiler:
This book was full of spaces. Spaces to be opened as restaurants, spaces to be vacated for Eleanora's benefit. Spaces between the paragraphs, because the book was super short. Which was why I read it.

But the customary brilliance was not there. The book makes writing look easy. Except that it's bad writing.

I must read more healthy short books other than this type of fare. Maybe Edgar Allan Poe's short stories. But whoever ghostwrote this book has hopefully been released from his responsibility.
Old 04-15-2020, 03:05 PM   #28845
Luffy
Wizard

My review of Moss Hysteria (A Flower Shop Mystery, #18) by Kate Collins:-

Spoiler:
I liked this book better than some of the others in the series. It didn't have a slow start. There was not a lot of romance, all credit to author Kate Collins.

As the case of the day unfolded, our heroine, Abigail Knight Salvare, found her week planned for her by others. Informal gatherings, questioning of suspects, looking after the business, dealing with the loss of her car.

There was much to do for Abby. I thought this book deserved 5 stars instead of 3, not because it's jaw-droppingly good, but because it does the simple things simply. That's why I read this book in 3 days. It could have been two.

Last edited by Luffy; 04-15-2020 at 03:13 PM.