Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 09-19-2019, 09:44 PM   #1
HLS
Wizard
HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sage, Scribe, Boox Note 2 Plus, iPad Pros and Samsungs S6,S7,S8
Looking for a spooky space/alien series

My ultimate favorite books are Arthur C Clarke Odassay Series and Time Series! I am looking for something on that level of awe, wonder, amazement, and spookiness! Preferably by an established known author. Thanks.
HLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 04:43 PM   #2
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by HLS View Post
My ultimate favorite books are Arthur C Clarke Odassay Series and Time Series! I am looking for something on that level of awe, wonder, amazement, and spookiness! Preferably by an established known author. Thanks.
A similar author that I enjoy very much is Stephen Baxter, who I guess you know about since he co-authored the Time Odyssey books with Clarke.

I enjoyed Titan, a novel about the discovery of life on Saturn's moon, Titan. Be warned though, the book can be depressing. Baxter doesn't shy away from just how dangerous space travel would be. (Hey, it's on sale for $1.99 right now!)

I also remember enjoying Manifold: Time. But it's been so long memories are sketchy. Baxter is the closest I've found in style to Clarke.

Besides Stephen Baxter, I also enjoyed Alistair Reynold's Pushing Ice. A crew of a spaceship that mines comets are ordered to follow Saturn's moon Janus when it inexplicably leaves orbit.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 03:50 PM   #3
Angst
Cannon Fodder
Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350, Kindle DX, Kindle Paperwhite
A fire upon the deep --Vernor Vinge
Angst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2020, 05:19 PM   #4
HLS
Wizard
HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sage, Scribe, Boox Note 2 Plus, iPad Pros and Samsungs S6,S7,S8
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
A similar author that I enjoy very much is Stephen Baxter, who I guess you know about since he co-authored the Time Odyssey books with Clarke.

I enjoyed Titan, a novel about the discovery of life on Saturn's moon, Titan. Be warned though, the book can be depressing. Baxter doesn't shy away from just how dangerous space travel would be. (Hey, it's on sale for $1.99 right now!)

I also remember enjoying Manifold: Time. But it's been so long memories are sketchy. Baxter is the closest I've found in style to Clarke.

Besides Stephen Baxter, I also enjoyed Alistair Reynold's Pushing Ice. A crew of a spaceship that mines comets are ordered to follow Saturn's moon Janus when it inexplicably leaves orbit.
I have been nervous to read Stephen Baxter for I hated the Rama series I never got past book 1. I think he co-wrote it as well. You have no idea how i love oddassy and Time series. He was at the level beyond his time ( Arthur C. Clarke)
HLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2020, 05:29 PM   #5
Gibbo
Guru
Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Tab A (2019) - iPhone 11 - KA1 - Onyx Boox Nova Pro
Quote:
I hated the Rama series I never got past book 1.
OMG!!!! You hated Rama how could you!!!!!! It's the best series ever, what you've just said is sacrilege!!!! 😉😉
Gibbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2020, 06:15 PM   #6
Section8
Addict
Section8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Section8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Section8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Section8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Section8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Section8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Section8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Section8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Section8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Section8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Section8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW4, Moon+ Reader on a cheap Android tablet
Quote:
I have been nervous to read Stephen Baxter for I hated the Rama series I never got past book 1. I think he co-wrote it as well. You have no idea how i love oddassy and Time series. He was at the level beyond his time ( Arthur C. Clarke)
Are you confusing Stephen Baxter with Gentry Lee? IIRC, Gentry Lee co-wrote the Rama books (except the first) with Clarke.
Section8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2020, 06:30 PM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibbo View Post
OMG!!!! You hated Rama how could you!!!!!! It's the best series ever, what you've just said is sacrilege!!!! ����
I disagree. I found the first books to be a slug to get through. It was boring big time. Nothing really happened. It's akin to watching Geraldo Rivera opening Al Capone's vault. It was a big build up yet the vault was empty.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2020, 09:53 PM   #8
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
My friend, the awful Rama series was co-written by Gentry Lee.

Stephen Baxter co-wrote the Time Odyssey series which you said you loved. So that's a plus for Baxter.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote