Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 06-18-2018, 07:23 PM   #136
Lordblacknail
Zealot
Lordblacknail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lordblacknail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lordblacknail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lordblacknail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lordblacknail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lordblacknail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lordblacknail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lordblacknail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lordblacknail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lordblacknail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lordblacknail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libre 2 Oasis Many Fires Galaxy Tab S7 Plus
Good morning all I just spent an hour looking for Dejavu Serif Eink on the web because I believe you Dr. Jones, that it is a good font that I would like. Is there any chance that those of you who know a good font and know what to look for in a font, could help out us less knowledgeable folks and give us the link to where the font can be dl? I found lots of Dejavu Serif fonts for free, but none that said eink. Looking at the samples, this looks like a great font, and I would like to have it on my oasis, but I can't find it anywhere. It would be so simple to include a link, if you know where you got it, or even include the file, they are usually pretty small. Not sure if that is allowed or not. The other font that sounds really nice is the charink one. Same problem. Not found anywhere. Thanks for your advice and help in advance.
Lordblacknail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 07:30 PM   #137
Atunah
Wizard
Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1/K3/BasicK Voyage/Oasis1/Oasis3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lordblacknail View Post
Good morning all I just spent an hour looking for Dejavu Serif Eink on the web because I believe you Dr. Jones, that it is a good font that I would like. Is there any chance that those of you who know a good font and know what to look for in a font, could help out us less knowledgeable folks and give us the link to where the font can be dl? I found lots of Dejavu Serif fonts for free, but none that said eink. Looking at the samples, this looks like a great font, and I would like to have it on my oasis, but I can't find it anywhere. It would be so simple to include a link, if you know where you got it, or even include the file, they are usually pretty small. Not sure if that is allowed or not. The other font that sounds really nice is the charink one. Same problem. Not found anywhere. Thanks for your advice and help in advance.
This was posted a couple of pages back and that is the one I downloaded. Now I forgot to put down the name of the kind person.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...ghlight=dejavu

Its in the first post of the thread.

Here are some more. I like Constantia and libertine also. Go to post #18
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...stantia&page=2

and here is the chareink. I use the no weight one so I can use my own bold slider on the books.
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...84&postcount=1

Hope that helps.

Last edited by Atunah; 06-18-2018 at 07:36 PM.
Atunah is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-18-2018, 08:21 PM   #138
Lordblacknail
Zealot
Lordblacknail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lordblacknail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lordblacknail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lordblacknail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lordblacknail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lordblacknail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lordblacknail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lordblacknail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lordblacknail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lordblacknail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lordblacknail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Yes it helps a lot thank you very much. I looked back through the pages for the dejavu and didn't see it. I found the charink but both the non weighted and the regular had the same name. So I have to choose which one to load onto my oasis. I looked for a program to change the font name, there were several, but none that seemed easy to work. I do appreciate all of the work that goes into helping us idiots out, I really do, and thank you for recommending the fonts and adjusting the fonts and all that. But if there are two versions of something you have made/adjusted, could you please give them two different names? I just flashed on one of my favorite movies Blazing Saddles where gene wilder is explaining to Cleavon Little why the towns people are treating him so bad. He explains that they are the salt of the earth, good people.......you know, Morons. That is most of us out here. Damn it Jim, I am a reader not a fontologist! Keep up the good work please but remember you are dealing with the little people. Mostly.

Last edited by Lordblacknail; 06-18-2018 at 10:31 PM.
Old 06-19-2018, 08:17 PM   #139
Lordblacknail
Zealot

I have no clue what changed in the cosmos, but today when I rc on the font name in the fonts.zip folder, I get the real rc menu, including rename. In the middle of doing that now, and waiting to see the fonts on my Oasis. No idea in the world why I was getting the really short menu without rename before.
Old 06-20-2018, 01:13 AM   #140
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by nqk View Post
No, it doesn't work for me. Or maybe I did it wrong. I prepared an epub, using css similar to the instruction, converted it to azw3 using Calibre, sent to Kindle (with the font already sideloaded). But the book doesn't open in Kindle Paperwhite.

Here is the epub and azw3: https://1drv.ms/u/s!AvOnHiMTAGM9hPgxP78e6wfLvb1w8Q
I did some digging around using a borrowed Voyage. What seems to happen is Kindle firmware 5.9.6 did not accept either of the two ways that work on Kobo firmware for pointing to a sideloaded font allowing it to be used as if it was an embedded font.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-21-2018, 08:31 PM   #141
shiningcat
shiningcat began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Preferred custom font with the 5.9.6.1 update?

So Kindle now has support for custom fonts.

I initially thought that the Amazon's Bookerly font was good, but it turns out that it was a bit difficult to read (maybe I'm just not used to it). I've been experimenting with different fonts, and I found that Mac's Helvetica Neue and Windows' Segoe UI are the most comfortable to read (again, maybe because I'm used to them).

Which font is your preferred font?
shiningcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 09:20 PM   #142
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by shiningcat View Post
Deja Vu Serif is currently my favorite font on the Kindle. It can be downloaded here ...

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...ghlight=dejavu

Constantia (a bolder version) comes in a close second for me.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 10:52 PM   #143
Atunah
Wizard
Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1/K3/BasicK Voyage/Oasis1/Oasis3
Although I was perfectly fine with bookerly, especially once we got the bold option, I been reading with dejavu on my big Oasis since I downloaded it. Constantia, chareink and libertine also look fine, but they work better on my smaller Oasis and Voyage for some reason. Dejavu gives me the right "size" of letters on the settings. I like how it looks, I go bold #1 on it and its perfect.
Really nice font that one.
Atunah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 04:49 AM   #144
Pyjam
Zealot
Pyjam has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityPyjam has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityPyjam has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityPyjam has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityPyjam has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityPyjam has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityPyjam has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityPyjam has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityPyjam has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityPyjam has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityPyjam has become a pillar of the MobileRead community

Device: Kindle Voyage
My favorite fonts are:
• Linux Libertine
• EB Garamond
• Gentium Plus
• Cardo
• Poly
• Zilla Slab (typewriter)

Linux Libertine, EB Garamond, and Zilla Slab are very complete with many boldness levels and glyphes.

For my FONT_RAMP file, I use the values:
8.00 8.25 8.50 8.75 9.00 9.25 9.50 9.75 10.00 10.25 10.50 10.75 11.00 11.25
Pyjam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 08:00 AM   #145
Plumadona
Groupie
Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kindle HD6, Kindle PW2, Sony PRS-T1, Nook NE1
Deja Vu Serif & ChareInk (the weighted one) are my favoriites (on an Oasis II), hands down. I was going to experiment further, but these two are perfect for me.
Plumadona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 08:33 AM   #146
Pyjam
Zealot
Pyjam has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityPyjam has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityPyjam has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityPyjam has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityPyjam has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityPyjam has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityPyjam has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityPyjam has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityPyjam has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityPyjam has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityPyjam has become a pillar of the MobileRead community

Device: Kindle Voyage
I noticed that choosing the right size dramatically affects the rendering.
That's why I use a very flat FONT_RAMP file.

For example, with Linux Libertine, a text in size 4 is a lot nicer than the same text in size 5, and it doesn't look smaller.

My values:
Pyjam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 08:56 AM   #147
lyldz
lyldz began at the beginning.

Device: kindle paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyjam View Post
My favorite fonts are:
• Linux Libertine
• EB Garamond
• Gentium Plus
• Cardo
• Poly
• Zilla Slab (typewriter)

Linux Libertine, EB Garamond, and Zilla Slab are very complete with many boldness levels and glyphes.

For my FONT_RAMP file, I use the values:
thanks buddy
i will try this font and font ramp settings
lyldz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 10:26 AM   #148
Waylander
Fanatic
Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 5 SE, Onyx Boox Poke 3
How do I do the FONT_RAMP file? I've downloaded a Garamond font I like, but it's either too small or too big with the font sizes available.
Waylander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 10:38 AM   #149
Waylander
Fanatic
Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 5 SE, Onyx Boox Poke 3
Don't worry, I worked it out. Sorry for the unnecessary posting.
Waylander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 10:47 AM   #150
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by shiningcat View Post
So Kindle now has support for custom fonts.

I initially thought that the Amazon's Bookerly font was good, but it turns out that it was a bit difficult to read (maybe I'm just not used to it). I've been experimenting with different fonts, and I found that Mac's Helvetica Neue and Windows' Segoe UI are the most comfortable to read (again, maybe because I'm used to them).

My personal preference is JSWolf's modified Charis SIL with added weight (look for ChareInk).
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote