Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 08-29-2019, 11:49 AM   #1
Pietro_S
Pietro_S began at the beginning.

Device: Mac
Lightbulb BarCode Scanner for Calibre

Guys! Hello everybody!
I am very new am dI am very happy to be here! Calibre is amazing and I am becoming a great lover of it! Thank You to developers!

I have a strange question ...
Once I would like to use Calibre as a DataBAse for my paper books too ... would it be possible to use a BarCode Scanner in order to scan ISDN numbers or BarCode and get them straight into Calibre?

I know, sounds strange, but ... it is interesting to me!

thank You everybody!

Pietro
Pietro_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 12:05 PM   #2
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pietro_S View Post
Once I would like to use Calibre as a DataBAse for my paper books too ... would it be possible to use a BarCode Scanner in order to scan ISDN numbers or BarCode and get them straight into Calibre?

thank You everybody!

Pietro
When I was adding my paper books to calibre, I used a barcode scanner to read the ISBNs into a text file (one ISBN per line) and then used calibre's Add from ISBN (click the arrow beside Add books). Copy and paste the collected ISBNs and away it went. There were some issues with ISBNs that were not valid but 95% of the work was done for me.
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-29-2019, 12:43 PM   #3
dwig
Wizard
dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Current:Surface Go & Kindle 3 - Retired: DellV8p, Clie UX50, ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pietro_S View Post
Guys! Hello everybody!
I am very new am dI am very happy to be here! Calibre is amazing and I am becoming a great lover of it! Thank You to developers!

thank You everybody!

Pietro
Most hardware bar code scanners have the option to emulate a keyboard. In fact, this is the usual out-of-the-box configuration. With these, you would simply put the cursor in the ISBN field in the Edit Metadata dialog and then "shoot" the barcoded ISBN on the book. You need to be certain that the scanning "gun" you choose can read the ISBN code types. Most current ones do.
dwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2019, 08:39 AM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Yes!
It was called a Keyboard Wedge when there was the older round (PS2) connections, because you unplugged the keyboard from the PC plugged the scan cable in, then plugged the keyboard into the 'Y" of the cable. ( You needed the keyboard plugged in or the PC never enabled ITS port)

Now, a USB version just plugs in .
IMHO avoid the cheaper 'flood' type models (You hold against the item and the whole area lights up red. You want a model that uses a bright line and can be used a few inches away (or more)

I used the ADD FROM ISBN (right click on the ADD icon). do batches of 10 or so and resolve the Not founds/fails while the pile is small )
BTW this feature has its own Add Tag that is different from the main add's one, so get creative in your thinking. eg "<in paper library>"

Last edited by theducks; 09-08-2019 at 10:16 AM. Reason: fixed hold
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 07:34 AM   #5
Pietro_S

Talking AMAZING

GUYS! YOU ARE GREAT!!!
I WILL TRY ASAP!
Thank You everybody!
Pietro
Advert
Old 09-08-2019, 10:07 AM   #6
Pietro_S

Talking AMAZING APPs instead of a gun!

Guys! I've just uncover that we do not even need a scanner-gun! There are APPs for iOS and Android which can scan "n" ISBN codes and save a list into an Ecxel file.
THIS IS AMAZING!
Good luck everybody!
Pietro ^_^

Tags
barcode, import, isdn, scanner