Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 07-30-2018, 03:42 PM   #1
leaperk
leaperk began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
Tips and Tricks For Getting Covers to Display on Sideloaded Content?

I have noticed that not all of my book covers are not showing up on sideloaded EPUB books. I was wondering if anyone could share any tips to make sure that covers display on sideloaded content.

I am using Calibre to sideload the EPUB format. What is the NOOK looking for when reading the EPUB file.

Last edited by leaperk; 07-30-2018 at 04:34 PM.
leaperk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 04:51 PM   #2
tas03
Zealot
tas03 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.tas03 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.tas03 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.tas03 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.tas03 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.tas03 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.tas03 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.tas03 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.tas03 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.tas03 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.tas03 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.

Device: Nook Glowlight +, Nook Tab. , Nook Simple Touch, iPad Air, iPhone 6Se
Do you mean the books do not show up at all or they show up with a generic cover? If it is not showing up at all, with my Nook tablet, I sometimes have to go in and remove certain punctuation type marks from the book's file name. These are things like apostrophes, colons, semi-colons. I have also had to remove ampersands (&) from some books. This does not change the title of the book on the tablet. I also had to do this on my Nook Glowlight Plus.
tas03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 05:15 PM   #3
leaperk

The books show just not the covers. I will experiment with your suggestion.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk
Old 07-30-2018, 05:30 PM   #4
Calenorn
Brash Fumbler
Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: NST, Kobo Mini
NOOKs seem to look for a cover image named "cover.jpg" (or .jpeg, or .whatever). If you use Sigil it's easy to change the name of the image file in the epub. If the original epub uses a cover image with any other name the NOOK will not make a thumbnail image to represent the book; it will use a plain rectangle with the title printed in it instead. Or worse, sometimes it grabs the first image it can find, maybe an illustration from the book! Messy.

The NOOKs are also touchy about replacing those cover thumbnail images. They seems to create a cover thumbnail when the book is first copied onto the device. Copying the repaired epub back onto the NOOK with the same title does not always displace the generic title block for that book's thumbnail.

It has been a consistent quirk with the NOOKs. I'm about ready to buy a Kobo Clara.

Last edited by Calenorn; 07-30-2018 at 05:32 PM.
Calenorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 09:21 AM   #5
leaperk

thanks for the responses I was able to fix most of the covers using a combination of converting EPUBs in Calibre and Sigil. I also found this blog post that also very enlightening about what the NOOK is expecting.

https://nachtimwald.com/2011/08/21/n...ot-showing-up/