Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Reading and Management

Notices

Old 06-05-2021, 05:19 AM   #1
carpler
carpler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma
Is there an epub comparison tool?

I'm looking for a software that allows you to easily identify the differences between two very similar epub files.
Is there any specific tool to compare two epub files?
carpler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2021, 08:50 AM   #2
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
The calibre editor has a comparison tool. I don't know of another.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-05-2021, 11:32 AM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
The calibre editor has a comparison tool. I don't know of another.
The Calibre comparison only works if the filenames are the same in both ePub.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2021, 04:29 AM   #4
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The Calibre comparison only works if the filenames are the same in both ePub.
Which is exactly what any epub comparison tool would need. Or any tool that could do something similar. Otherwise, how would the comparison tool know what to compare?

@carpler: Another option is to unpack the epubs to directories and then use a tool that can compare the files in the directories. Ideally, it would be something that can understands XML or HTML files. Also, there is some discussion of comparing epubs in https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=283863 with some suggestions.
Old 06-06-2021, 05:20 AM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Which is exactly what any epub comparison tool would need. Or any tool that could do something similar. Otherwise, how would the comparison tool know what to compare?

@carpler: Another option is to unpack the epubs to directories and then use a tool that can compare the files in the directories. Ideally, it would be something that can understands XML or HTML files. Also, there is some discussion of comparing epubs in https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=283863 with some suggestions.
I have converted both copies to text and compare that way. I've also renamed the files in one copy and was then able to use Calibre's compare.

But mostly if the filenames are different and I cannot compare, then I go with the newer copy.
Advert
Old 06-08-2021, 12:41 PM   #6
carpler
carpler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thank you for all answers!
I was unfamiliar with Caliber's comparison functionality. If I am not misunderstood, both files need to be entered into the Caliber database, which is not ideal for me.
I'll try the other suggestion of using a software for comparing folders and files.
Thanks so much!

EDIT
I was wrong! To use the Caliber comparator it is not necessary that both epub files are inserted in the database: just tested.

Last edited by carpler; 06-08-2021 at 12:54 PM.
Old 06-08-2021, 08:21 PM   #7
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by carpler View Post
Thank you for all answers!
I was unfamiliar with Caliber's comparison functionality. If I am not misunderstood, both files need to be entered into the Caliber database, which is not ideal for me.
I'll try the other suggestion of using a software for comparing folders and files.
Thanks so much!

EDIT
I was wrong! To use the Caliber comparator it is not necessary that both epub files are inserted in the database: just tested.
It is not necessary for either book to be in the library. I have the calibre editor associated with epubs and can open them directly from Explorer. And then do a comparison if needed.
Old 06-09-2021, 06:18 AM   #8
carpler

Quote:
It is not necessary for either book to be in the library. I have the calibre editor associated with epubs and can open them directly from Explorer. And then do a comparison if needed.
Thank you!
I only saw this possibility after writing my previous post.
I have already tested the tool and it seemed good, but only if the differences between the two files are not so many. I compared two files with many differences and the result did not fully satisfy me.
I will do further tests.
Old 06-09-2021, 07:09 AM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Thank you!
I only saw this possibility after writing my previous post.
I have already tested the tool and it seemed good, but only if the differences between the two files are not so many. I compared two files with many differences and the result did not fully satisfy me.
I will do further tests.
How else would you display the differences when the two eBooks being compared have many differences?
Old 06-10-2021, 10:58 AM   #10
carpler

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
How else would you display the differences when the two eBooks being compared have many differences?
Caliber's comparator shows the differences, but it doesn't make it very easy to understand "at a glance" which files are different, but it displays all the variations "together" ...
Old 06-10-2021, 02:18 PM   #11
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Caliber's comparator shows the differences, but it doesn't make it very easy to understand "at a glance" which files are different, but it displays all the variations "together" ...
Yes Calibre does put all the files together when showing the differences. But it's very easy to see which file you are looking at as it display the filename right before the diffs for that file.