Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 11-16-2023, 03:33 AM   #36766
cromag
Surfin the alpha waves ~~
cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Jetbook Lite & Mini, Nook STR, Kobo, Hanvon N516, Kindle 2, Androids
Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
Like most I guess, whenever I get an unsolicited marketing email I scroll to the bottom and look for the 4 pt Unsubscribe link. Got one this morning. PgDn, PgDn… hmmm, no Unsubscribe, I thought it was the law. Ah, there it is: Stop all types of future commercial email from blah blah…. Let's click it…

Ah-ha, there's a big yellow Unsubscribe From All button. Lets click it... tickety-boo, shouldn't hear from them again.

4 hours later, WTF another one, click the "Stop all…" link again, all check boxes off - click the big yellow button… again. More fine print - Please allow up to 10 business days for unsubscribe requests to be processed..

If you're thinking, some shonky outfit such as: ................................, your probably wrong, it was NG

BR

One of the emails suggested I should watch a doco about Long Covid… but I've not had Short Covid… yet.
National Geographic is now 73% owned by Walt Disney. They are a true pain.
cromag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2023, 08:14 AM   #36767
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
My cat decided that he wants to sleep in the laundry basket just before I wanted to put the laundry in the washing machine. Who do you think got their wish?
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-16-2023, 02:37 PM   #36768
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by neil_swann80 View Post
You have? Right... time to update my avatar... xmas has started you humbugs!
Not until December 23, 24, and then it's over.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2023, 02:43 PM   #36769
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
I finally had my Shingrix vax today (the frst one of two). Those of you who "know" me from here, know that stoopid moron that I am, I hadn't had it previously. I thus promptly GOT Shingles (worst. thing. ever) and the docs have been holding me back from having the vaccination, for a variety of reasons (nuthin' serious, kids). But, finally, today was the day.

Thus, now, I'm sitting here, waiting to feel all sickish and join you guys in your suffering. Misery loves company, after all! I don't want you kiddles to feel alone!

Hitch
When I has my combo Covid and Flu vaccines, I was not well the day after. Th arm I has the Covind vaccine was a bother touched. That lasted a while. But being not well did not last long.

I've had Shingles. I should have used them to build a roof.
Old 11-16-2023, 02:47 PM   #36770
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Rant recognition failed....

As for not caring about hockey? It's the most popular religion in Canada!

The preserver is a decent choice.
We in Boston stole Bobby Orr from Canada.
Advert
Old 11-16-2023, 03:11 PM   #36771
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
We in Boston stole Bobby Orr from Canada.
Eh, back in the day the NHL was virtually all Canadian players, even though the teams were mostly in the US. The original six were two Canadian teams and four American teams; the first expansion round added six more American teams. The players were still all Canadian, though. Boston no more stole Bobby Orr than Detroit stole Gordie Howe or Chicago stole Bobby Hull.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2023, 04:05 PM   #36772
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
Eh, back in the day the NHL was virtually all Canadian players, even though the teams were mostly in the US. The original six were two Canadian teams and four American teams; the first expansion round added six more American teams. The players were still all Canadian, though. Boston no more stole Bobby Orr than Detroit stole Gordie Howe or Chicago stole Bobby Hull.
Ah, those were the days. As a native Detroiter, during the Gordie Howe era, I quite enjoyed hockey then, and went to several games. But then expansion came along and the quality of play went way down. It became more about fighting than hockey.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2023, 06:05 PM   #36773
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by cromag View Post
National Geographic is now 73% owned by Walt Disney. They are a true pain.
Noticed that, got another one this morning - NG blocked!
BetterRed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2023, 07:19 PM   #36774
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
Ah, those were the days. As a native Detroiter, during the Gordie Howe era, I quite enjoyed hockey then, and went to several games. But then expansion came along and the quality of play went way down. It became more about fighting than hockey.
As for the quality of hockey? I would have to say that many of the greats of the 1950s and 1960s would have trouble making a team today even with expansion diluting the product.

Hmm... I seem to remember seeing quite a few fights in hockey well before the expansion era. OTOH, back in the late 1950s/early 1960s no one seemed to make much of a fuss about fighting. Most of the players could handle themselves in a fight which helped to keep the number of fights down. After expansion, the number of fights peaked in the late 1980s. This seemed to follow rise and fall of teams such as the Philadelphia Flyers aka the Broad Street Bullies as other teams responded by adding more enforcers to keep up with them. One Canucks/Flyers game stands out in my mind where a bench clearing brawl happened during the pre-game skate.

Since the NHL changed it's rules to give the first player to leave the bench or penalty box an automatic 10 game suspension and any subsequent players get a 5 game suspension, the bench clearing brawl has become an endangered species. Other changes such as allowing the referee to call a single fighting penalty have also helped. This was brought in after there were several "fighting" majors called where one player dropped their gloves and started punching another player who did not drop their gloves and turtled (basically protect your face with your gloves). One fine example was when Bob Kelly of the Chicago Blackhawks "fought" Thomas Gradin of the Vancouver Canucks. The Canucks in-house commentator was fined for stating that Kelly was given a 5 minute major for throwing punches and Gradin was given a 5 minute major for catching punches.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2023, 12:31 PM   #36775
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
When I has my combo Covid and Flu vaccines, I was not well the day after. Th arm I has the Covind vaccine was a bother touched. That lasted a while. But being not well did not last long.

I've had Shingles. I should have used them to build a roof.
Wow, Mr. Hitch had his Covid and flu shots yesterday, and OMG, he had them both in he same arm, which I believe I did, too, (I think?) but it's really making him SICK. I mean, sick. His arm is really hurting him, but today he nearly tipped over and fell!

Yeah, yeah, I'm keeping an eye on him. Sheesh.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2023, 08:51 PM   #36776
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Respones to the dual shots are completely varied. I had both in the same arm and didn't even have a mild sore arm. But others have a much stronger reaction. I don't think there is any way to predict, either. But I'm sorry Me. Hitch had a bad one. But also glad he got the shots.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2023, 07:50 AM   #36777
Rumpelteazer
Grand Sorcerer
Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition
Today I'm continuing with packing my stuff. It's really starting to show now. Today I've already packed wall hangings and other decorations and I'm now packing up books.

Next week I'm packing up my bedroom, so with a bit of luck I can move to my sister's place the week after. The biggest chore will be going through my craft things and decide what to keep and what to toss. Especially my paper crafting things will be downsized.
Rumpelteazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2023, 07:04 PM   #36778
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
I got both shots in one arm and got a very mild soreness around the flu shot area for a day. OTOH, my spouse suffered from a very sore arm for 48 hours. She still feels getting both shots was worthwhile.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2023, 09:55 AM   #36779
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
Respones to the dual shots are completely varied. I had both in the same arm and didn't even have a mild sore arm. But others have a much stronger reaction. I don't think there is any way to predict, either. But I'm sorry Me. Hitch had a bad one. But also glad he got the shots.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
I got both shots in one arm and got a very mild soreness around the flu shot area for a day. OTOH, my spouse suffered from a very sore arm for 48 hours. She still feels getting both shots was worthwhile.
Oh, I think we all agree, especially as we get (ahem) more "matured" (well, older, anyway...) that getting the vax by and large is worth it. I have other medical things, not major, but which could get that way mighty quick if I contracted Covid. And you all know my experience with blithely ignoring the Shingles Vax (what a dumb-ass....never again).

So...yup, I'll live with the soreness and all that. It's absolutely worth it. Far better than that than 3 months of bed/house-arrest I underwent with Shingles, and all the rest of the side-effects, etc. Thanks, but no thanks. 48 hours or so of feeling a bit under the weather is nothing in comparison.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2023, 01:24 PM   #36780
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
Wow, Mr. Hitch had his Covid and flu shots yesterday, and OMG, he had them both in he same arm, which I believe I did, too, (I think?) but it's really making him SICK. I mean, sick. His arm is really hurting him, but today he nearly tipped over and fell!

Yeah, yeah, I'm keeping an eye on him. Sheesh.

Hitch
I hope he's OK.

My wife was mot well for two days after her shots. She got them 7 days before I did. No need for both of us not to feel well at the same time.

I would not want in both arms. That would hurt too much. I was really tired on the day after the shots. But I did get better enough the day after that.

Tags
creepy crawlers!, dell computers, monteverdi, thread that never ends, tubery, unutterable silliness