Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 03-14-2014, 07:16 PM   #1
revbish
revbish began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
Can't Update in Linux any longer...

I've been using Linux (Precise Puppy, based on a version of Ubuntu) and updating it each time I get the notice that an update's available for years now, and there's no doubt Calibre is the ultimate e-book application I've ever used. It does everything! I just copy the update command on the website, paste it into a terminal, and presto!---done. So easy. But this last update is different somehow since I've tried using the command every way I can think of and it's no go. It's not like I really need the update to solve a problem, since Calibre already does everything I need it to do; I just like to keep things updated. But if no solution, it's no problem, really. I can live with it as it is, and maybe I should, since "if it ain't broke, don't fix it." But if anyone does know something I can do to correct the updating feature now, I'd like to know. Thanks very much everyone.
--
Sincerely,
revbish
revbish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 07:34 PM   #2
gbm
Wizard
gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD,Hisence Sero 7 Pro RIP, Nook STR, jetbook lite
http://calibre-ebook.com/whats-new
Quote:
Linux binary install script: Fix error on linux systems where the system python has an encoding of None set on stdout. Assume encoding is utf-8 in this case.
Quote:
If you get an error about an untrusted certificate, that means your computer does not have any root certificates installed and so cannot download the installer securely. If you still want to proceed, pass the --no-check-certificate option to wget, like this:
Try the following for installing to /opt.

Code:
sudo -v && wget --no-check-certificate -nv -O- https://github.com/kovidgoyal/calibre/raw/master/setup/linux-installer.py | sudo python -c "import sys; main=lambda:sys.stderr.write('Download failed\n'); exec(sys.stdin.read()); main('/opt')"
This one if you install calibre somewhere other that /opt.
Code:
sudo -v && wget --no-check-certificate -nv -O- https://github.com/kovidgoyal/calibre/raw/master/setup/linux-installer.py | sudo python -c "import sys; main=lambda:sys.stderr.write('Download failed\n'); exec(sys.stdin.read()); main()"
http://calibre-ebook.com/download_linux
bernie
gbm is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-14-2014, 08:24 PM   #3
revbish

No good...

I tried both of those before and it still doesn't work, but thanks for the suggestion anyway!
Old 03-14-2014, 08:55 PM   #4
gbm
Wizard
gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD,Hisence Sero 7 Pro RIP, Nook STR, jetbook lite
Here is the old script, try it.

Code:
sudo python -c "import sys; py3 = sys.version_info[0] > 2; u = __import__('urllib.request' if py3 else 'urllib', fromlist=1); exec(u.urlopen('http://status.calibre-ebook.com/linux_installer').read()); main(install_dir='/opt')"
bernie
gbm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 10:45 PM   #5
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
It would be helpful if you told us what the actual error is.
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-15-2014, 07:09 AM   #6
revbish

Solved!

I tried again this morning to install in the usual fashion, and it worked! I had to delete the "sudo" commands and the initial "-v &&" (which I had done before also) and this time it decided to install without a hitch. I've no idea why, but glad it did. Thanks for suggestions and help. Thanks, Mr. Goyal, for the most incredible e-reading software in the world!
--
Sincerely,
revbish