Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 04-29-2021, 08:01 AM   #61
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker8 View Post
Yes, some people want generic stuff, that's why it gets produced.
No they don't. You've just convinced yourself that shows people like that you don't are somehow generic. Rather than simply understanding that your definition of "quality" isn't universal.

"Gee. This show's a bit to good for my tastes. Isn't there something a bit more generic on somewhere?"
(Said no one ever)

Quote:
Even the lowest rated programs on TV have someone watching them
And then there's the complete disconnect between television ratings and actual show quality that everyone's aware of.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 04-29-2021 at 08:19 AM.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2021, 09:17 AM   #62
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Yes, some people want generic stuff, that's why it gets produced. Even the lowest rated programs on TV have someone watching them.
I'm sorry, what sort of programs are you referring to as "generic stuff"? I mean, what, sitcoms? The endless parade of "unscripted" TV, aka Reality TV? (I mean, if you want to talk about how networks shot themselves in the foot...) Or...?

If by "generic stuff" you simply mean some categories of shows or entertainment, sure. People like what they like. I've never been a fan of sitcoms. Won't watch something with a laugh track or a howling studio audience and honestly, most of the humor doesn't appeal to me, anyway. [shrug] But there are obviously very large audiences for those. Good on those folks if they enjoy them.

Same with reality shows. I'll never understand the appeal of the 8th-grade 'popularity contest' versions, or the dating things, etc. But obviously, I'm in a minority there. [More shrugging].

Hell, I'd like more quasi-original or somewhat-intelligent content, myself. Who wouldn't? But here's the thing--many people don't really want NEW. They want something that they already know that they like--thus the network and developers' appetites for spin-offs. If you can spin-off 5 successful L&O shows, hey, why not? Make money where you can (e.b., L&O SVU, for example, which, bogglingly, is still running. I'm always amazed when I see episodes on Hulu, for Season 9,000).

The success of episodic TV, whether it's NCIS or Murder She Wrote is evidence of that. People know that the people in the show won't be killed off, so the whole suspense thing is kinda shot, but they like knowing that each week Character X is going to solve a crime, or save a patient, or whatever. It's like going to your favorite restaurant, instead of trying something new every single time you go out--because you like what you like, right?

So...not really sure what you mean by generic. Your use of that word feels more like a derogation than it does descriptive.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-29-2021, 10:25 AM   #63
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
This is one of the weirder semantic disagreements I've encountered recently.
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2021, 10:32 AM   #64
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApK View Post
Lockdown boredom, no doubt. Although, given that we're discussing the term "generic," lol...

Hitch
Old 04-29-2021, 10:36 AM   #65
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
What I find is rather ridiculous is the number of shows that are being rebooted. I don't mind when a show comes back and continues on. But I don't like when show is rebooted.

A good example of a rebooted mess (not nearly as good as the original) is Battlestar Galactica. The remake is awful.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-29-2021, 10:53 AM   #66
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApK View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
Lockdown boredom, no doubt. Although, given that we're discussing the term "generic," lol...

Hitch
Weird, maybe. But hardly surprising.

My beef was simply:

Quote:
Some video consumers want new generic stuff, and don't re-watch shows or movies. They want new and original over quality.
Seemed pretty clear to me that pwalker8 was putting whatever he means by "generic" on the opposite side of the equation from quality. And that those who choose new and original (as opposed to rewatching), do so at the expense of quality. It's a crap statement any way you slice it.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 04-29-2021 at 11:11 AM.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2021, 11:57 AM   #67
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Agreed.

Quote:
My beef was simply:

Seemed pretty clear to me that pwalker8 was putting whatever he means by "generic" on the opposite side of the equation from quality. And that those who choose new and original (as opposed to rewatching), do so at the expense of quality. It's a crap statement any way you slice it.
Ditto, that's my take. I rewatch stuff all the time, because it's become increasingly difficult, for us, at least, to find anything "new" that we're willing to suffer through. Too much tripe, too many tropes, too much pandering. I don't choose to be lectured by entertainment or entertainers, either. I want to RELAX, mostly turn my brain off and just enjoy.

But that's harder and harder to come by.

Hitch
Old 04-29-2021, 01:34 PM   #68
binaryhermit
Grand Sorcerer
binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW4, Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition
Quote:
Even the lowest rated programs on TV have someone watching them.
Actually...
binaryhermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2021, 02:28 PM   #69
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave

Quote:
Originally Posted by binaryhermit View Post
This article is from what, 8 years ago? Dang.

Hitch
Old 04-29-2021, 02:29 PM   #70
binaryhermit
Grand Sorcerer
binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW4, Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition
I did have to google that, but I was aware that nobody watching a show was a thing (albeit not that much of a thing)
binaryhermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2021, 03:00 PM   #71
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave

Quote:
I did have to google that, but I was aware that nobody watching a show was a thing (albeit not that much of a thing)
If a show falls on the Telly, but nobody is there to see it, is it really dead????

Hitch
Old 04-29-2021, 05:10 PM   #72
haertig
Wizard
haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW3, Fire HD8 Gen7, Moto G7, Sansa Clip v2, Ruizu X26
I hope Amazon will use this "Vella" branding on ALL their serialized books. That way I know what to avoid. It would be a very welcome "Do not buy this" label attached to the serialized crap.
haertig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2021, 07:55 PM   #73
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post

My beef was simply:

It seems to me that you just like snarking because it makes you feel superior.

What does the word generic mean - According to Merriam-Webster one of the definitions of generic is

"having no particularly distinctive quality or application "

Apparently in your experience, you have never seen people channel surf or simply put something on just to have something on. I have. As I pointed out the extraordinarily obvious that fact even the worse rated program on tv has people who watch it. Are you trying to argue that the worse rated program has a particularly distinctive quality or application? For that matter, even the worse YouTube video has someone who will watch it, just because they noticed it. No particularly distinctive quality, they just were browsing and happened to come across it.

Hollywood use to churn out what was called b-grade movies. Many times, it was simply a generic western churned out in less that a week. John Wayne made a lot of this sort of movie before he became a star. Typically, it was just filler to keep the audience occupied before the main feature came on. By most sane definitions, this is generic programming, not that I expect now that you have driven you stake in the ground that you will admit the obvious.

There is a lot of content out there that has no distinctive quality. People still watch it.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2021, 08:07 PM   #74
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
You do know how the Nielsen works don't you? They don't actually measure what everyone in the world watches, rather they take a very small sample of people who agree to be monitored and monitor what those people watch, or simply depend on viewers written viewing diaries. While it might make an amusing article to say no one watched a program because the Nielsen rating was 0, that doesn't make it actually true.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2021, 10:22 PM   #75
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
A good example of a rebooted mess (not nearly as good as the original) is Battlestar Galactica. The remake is awful.
Remind me to never trust your opinion again.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote