Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 02-06-2021, 05:12 PM   #1
kyôdai
Zealot
kyôdai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyôdai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyôdai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyôdai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyôdai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyôdai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyôdai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyôdai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyôdai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyôdai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyôdai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
New PocketBook 7.8" Color E-Ink Reader

It seems PocketBook is about to release another ebook-reader with a color E-Ink display.

The Pocketbook InkPad Color, is a 7.8" device very similar to the Inkpad 3 but with an E-Ink Kaleido 2 display, like their 6" model from last year.

Reportedly it goes on sale in Russia and various eastern european countries for ₽21.999 (about $295) coming March.

-> https://www.aroged.com/2021/02/05/a-...h-8599-aroged/

-> https://pocketbook.ru/shop/ustroystv...r-serebristyy/
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PB 740 Color.JPG
Views:	1414
Size:	112.4 KB
ID:	185270   Click image for larger version

Name:	a6ed654af168046244d6d8eabe2d19dd.png
Views:	1497
Size:	884.5 KB
ID:	185271   Click image for larger version

Name:	ea6803a1fec3f3de3badf3a190f9841b.png
Views:	1464
Size:	528.9 KB
ID:	185272  

Last edited by pdurrant; 02-15-2021 at 04:28 PM.
kyôdai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2021, 07:06 PM   #2
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Interesting. I kind of got the impression that the 6" color wasn't doing that well. I guess I was wrong. The bigger screen should be better for those who read comics on an eReader.

Thanks for the post. PocketBook has definitely been the most active in releasing new models over the last couple years.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2021, 10:56 AM   #3
kyôdai
Zealot
kyôdai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyôdai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyôdai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyôdai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyôdai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyôdai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyôdai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyôdai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyôdai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyôdai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyôdai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Yeah, I also doubt that the 6" model was a success. But that has not stopped PocketBook before. (They also had two color readers with e-inks previous triton displays.)

While 7,8" is an improvement, it still does not feel like enough. For comics you want at least 10", especially with e-ink since scrooling and zooming would be a pain.

Also the resolution seems to stay the same (300ppi for books, 100ppi for comics).

I still don't see people getting this as a dedicated comic-reader, unfortunately.
Old 02-07-2021, 11:53 AM   #4
b0rsuk
meles meles
b0rsuk can program the VCR without an owner's manual.b0rsuk can program the VCR without an owner's manual.b0rsuk can program the VCR without an owner's manual.b0rsuk can program the VCR without an owner's manual.b0rsuk can program the VCR without an owner's manual.b0rsuk can program the VCR without an owner's manual.b0rsuk can program the VCR without an owner's manual.b0rsuk can program the VCR without an owner's manual.b0rsuk can program the VCR without an owner's manual.b0rsuk can program the VCR without an owner's manual.b0rsuk can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Pocketbook InkPad 3
I just bought an InkPad 3, and I was interested in color ereaders. It's not just for comics - textbooks for math and programming make good use of color. I decided to get a B&W one when I learned about low DPI of kaleido displays. The current color tech is not good enough as far as I'm concerned.

The interesting news here is that it not only has USB-C and Bluetooth, but also an SD card slot. Kobo and Amazon have been phasing out SD card support, and even Pocketbook doesn't have it in most newest models. InkPad 3 Pro and InkPad X don't have it. Good news that SD slots are coming back!

Last edited by b0rsuk; 02-07-2021 at 11:57 AM.
b0rsuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2021, 07:34 AM   #5
rantanplan
Guru
rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite (2021), Boox Note Air 2+, Kobo Clara 2E, Tolino Vision 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyôdai View Post
While 7,8" is an improvement, it still does not feel like enough. For comics you want at least 10", especially with e-ink since scrooling and zooming would be a pain.
It would be the perfect size for manga or smaller pocketbook style comics like Stories from Duckburg etc.
rantanplan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2021, 08:15 AM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
When you use color, then resolution plummets significantly. With color you get 100DPI at 468 × 624.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2021, 09:24 AM   #7
Pajamaman
Wizard
Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Nova
Color on a 7.8" is beginning to look interesting. Acceptable size for comics and pdf with big color photographs.
Pajamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2021, 04:31 PM   #8
kyôdai
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by rantanplan View Post
It would be the perfect size for manga or smaller pocketbook style comics like Stories from Duckburg etc.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pajamaman View Post
Color on a 7.8" is beginning to look interesting. Acceptable size for comics and pdf with big color photographs.
Yeah, I kinda do not see that.

Mangas are like 99% black and white.
As with textbooks it does not make much sense to sacrifice the much better display quality of a reagular e-reader for 1 coloured cover page...

And most coloured comics are a lot bigger then a 7.8" screen. European comics are almost twice as big.

15,8 x 11,8 cm - 7,8" Display
25,7 x 16,8 cm - Marvel / DC Comics
29,5 x 22,0 cm - European Comics (Asterix, Luck Luke, etc.)

On top of that you get faint colors, a meager 100ppi and you have to crank up the light to get at least some contrast.

Don't get me wrong. I would like to have an e-Ink device for comics. But this is not it, yet.
Old 02-08-2021, 09:21 PM   #9
Pajamaman
Wizard
Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Nova
Large comic pages can be split into panes. Dull colors may outweigh the suffering for some of reading on LCD. It's subjective.
Pajamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2021, 05:27 AM   #10
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pajamaman View Post
Large comic pages can be split into panes. Dull colors may outweigh the suffering for some of reading on LCD. It's subjective.
And low resolution as well.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2021, 10:39 AM   #11
kandwo
Addict
kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyôdai View Post
Yeah, I kinda do not see that.

Mangas are like 99% black and white.
As with textbooks it does not make much sense to sacrifice the much better display quality of a reagular e-reader for 1 coloured cover page...

And most coloured comics are a lot bigger then a 7.8" screen. European comics are almost twice as big.

15,8 x 11,8 cm - 7,8" Display
25,7 x 16,8 cm - Marvel / DC Comics
29,5 x 22,0 cm - European Comics (Asterix, Luck Luke, etc.)

On top of that you get faint colors, a meager 100ppi and you have to crank up the light to get at least some contrast.

Don't get me wrong. I would like to have an e-Ink device for comics. But this is not it, yet.
Very good points! And not to forget the ghosting. It seems brutal on colour e-ink from what I've seen so far in video reviews.

I would love to buy a 13" colour e-ink reader for comics, but that's probably several years off. If it's ever going to happen. Even now bigger screens have low PPI for just black and white; it's hard to imagine them managing to make colour e-ink good enough and affordable in the near future.

Luckily, many disagree with me about the state of colour e-ink and buy these devices (the Hisense colour phones seem very popular for instance), which is great, as it incentivises these companies to develop the technology further.
kandwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2021, 11:15 AM   #12
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
I think this isn't good enough for colour comics and Graphic novels: Too low res, too small, too washed out, too low contrast.

Ones that are OK in B&W, or 14 shades grey with black and white can use the 7.8" Bouye Likebook Mars which is better for B&W ebooks and a lot cheaper. Though it's not clear to me if the Mars is 300 dpi or 320 dpi. I must check.
I tried the free Mutant Hero Turtle comics on Google Playstore Playbooks. Only just viable on the 7.8" Mars due to SIZE, not lack of colour, fine on the 10" LCD Lenovo tablet.
A colour comic or graphic novel takes me a fraction of the time to read as novel, so I don't mind using the 10" Lenovo LCD tablet and the current model is 1/2 price of a Mars, which is much cheaper than than this. The Mars is about €80 cheaper than the Kobo Forma here and has BT (audio & keyboard) 3.5mm audio jack, Android apps, decent PDF margin crop, decent built in RAM & Flash and micro SD Card slot.

I still find the Kobo Libra best for annotation proof reading, but the Mars is OK for PDF scans of old books, Manga, koreader, Borrowbox etc.

Kaleido is a very niche solution looking for a problem and really needs 12"+ to compete with tablets. The 7.8" Kaleido and certainly 6" can't compete with a 10" LCD for colour and a 7" Libra for novels. You can buy both and and have change out of the price for this.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2021, 10:19 AM   #13
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Pocketbook just announced that the new device is called the InkPad Color. it has a new-gen Kaleido screen.

https://the-digital-reader.com/2021/...een-costs-330/
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2021, 10:52 AM   #14
patrik
Guru
patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma
Pocketbooks own short video-blurb.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UrsHBsUPhX4
patrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2021, 11:15 AM   #15
rantanplan
Guru
rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite (2021), Boox Note Air 2+, Kobo Clara 2E, Tolino Vision 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
Pocketbook just announced that the new device is called the InkPad Color. it has a new-gen Kaleido screen.

https://the-digital-reader.com/2021/...een-costs-330/
They didn't just announce it, you can already buy it (in Europe).
rantanplan is online now   Reply With Quote