Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-12-2007, 04:40 PM   #1
TadW
Uebermensch
TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Domain sniper targetting the Kindle?

Is here a professional scammer/spammer/domain sniper at work? Someone registered all these domains... with his registration data protected by a proxy (Domains by Proxy, Inc.).

kindle-amazon.biz
kindleamazon.biz
kindle-amazon.com
kindleamazon.com
kindle-amazon.info
kindleamazon.info
kindle-amazon.net
kindleamazon.net
kindle-amazon.org
kindleamazon.org
kindle-book.biz
kindlebook.biz
kindle-book.com
kindlebook.com
kindlebookfair.com
kindlebookfaire.com
kindle-book.info
kindlebook.info
kindle-book.net
kindlebook.net
kindle-book.org
kindlebook.org
kindle-books.biz
kindlebooks.biz
kindle-books.com
kindlebooks.com
kindle-books.info
kindlebooks.info
kindle-books.net
kindlebooks.net
kindle-books.org
kindlebooks.org
kindle-device.biz
kindledevice.biz
kindle-device.com
kindledevice.com
kindle-device.info
kindledevice.info
kindle-device.net
kindledevice.net
kindledevice.org
kindle-devices.biz
kindledevices.biz
kindle-devices.com
kindledevices.com
kindle-devices.info
kindledevices.info
kindle-devices.net
kindledevices.net
kindle-devices.org
kindledevices.org
kindle-ebook.biz
kindle-ebook.com
kindle-ebook.info
kindle-ebook.net
kindle-ebook.org
kindle-ebook-reader.biz
kindle-ebookreader.biz
kindle-ebook-reader.com
kindle-ebookreader.com
kindle-ebook-reader.info
kindle-ebookreader.info
kindle-ebook-reader.net
kindle-ebookreader.net
kindle-ebook-reader.org
kindle-ebookreader.org
kindle-ebook-readers.biz
kindle-ebookreaders.biz
kindle-ebook-readers.com
kindle-ebookreaders.com
kindle-ebook-readers.info
kindle-ebookreaders.info
kindle-ebook-readers.net
kindle-ebookreaders.net
kindle-ebook-readers.org
kindle-ebookreaders.org
kindle-ebooks.biz
kindle-ebooks.com
kindle-ebooks.info
kindle-ebooks.net
kindle-ebooks.org
kindle-ereader.biz
kindle-ereader.com
kindle-ereader.info
kindle-ereader.net
kindle-ereader.org
kindle-reader.biz
kindlereader.biz
kindle-reader.com
kindlereader.com
kindle-reader.info
kindlereader.info
kindle-reader.net
kindlereader.net
kindle-reader.org
kindlereader.org
kindle-readers.biz
kindlereaders.biz
kindle-readers.com
kindlereaders.com
kindle-readers.info
kindlereaders.info
kindle-readers.net
kindlereaders.net
kindle-readers.org
kindlereaders.org
TadW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 05:17 PM   #2
jamesdmanley
Groupie
jamesdmanley has learned how to read e-booksjamesdmanley has learned how to read e-booksjamesdmanley has learned how to read e-booksjamesdmanley has learned how to read e-booksjamesdmanley has learned how to read e-booksjamesdmanley has learned how to read e-booksjamesdmanley has learned how to read e-books

Device: prs-500
its a business, i cant remember what its called, but basically what people or companies do is snap up all sorts of domain names and park them. theyll put up ads that pay for click throughs and if theres enough interest or traffic on that domain they will sell them off at massive proffits, some for millions
jamesdmanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 05:19 PM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Amazon doesn't need any of these. All they need are the Amazon domains they already have. What a rather bad idea to snap up those domains.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 05:45 PM   #4
jamesdmanley
Groupie
jamesdmanley has learned how to read e-booksjamesdmanley has learned how to read e-booksjamesdmanley has learned how to read e-booksjamesdmanley has learned how to read e-booksjamesdmanley has learned how to read e-booksjamesdmanley has learned how to read e-booksjamesdmanley has learned how to read e-books

it might seem silly or a waste of time but people make a lot of money doing that
Old 10-12-2007, 08:33 PM   #5
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
Its called squatting or domain trafficing.

Even if they do not try to sell them to Amazon they make a lot of money by loading the sites with popups, popunders, spam, spyware, and even paid ads to catch the poor fool that types in the name looking for the real Amazon Kindle site.
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2007, 12:33 AM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

But given that Amazon would be the one selling it, I'd go have a look at amazon.com before I'd go to any other site.
Old 10-13-2007, 02:26 AM   #7
TadW
Uebermensch
TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Jon, that's you, but the majority of people would fall for these URL's if they stumble over them (e.g. through Google search).
TadW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2007, 04:43 PM   #8
jamesdmanley
Groupie

some people, like my mom, just type crap into the address bar and hit enter. whatever pops up pops up
Old 10-13-2007, 09:04 PM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by TadW View Post
Jon, that's you, but the majority of people would fall for these URL's if they stumble over them (e.g. through Google search).
I think you don't give enough people credit. But that aside, I think Amazon has enough money to be able to take out a Google advert to get to the top when Kindle is searched for.
Old 10-13-2007, 09:14 PM   #10
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesdmanley View Post
its a business, i cant remember what its called, but basically what people or companies do is snap up all sorts of domain names and park them. theyll put up ads that pay for click throughs and if theres enough interest or traffic on that domain they will sell them off at massive proffits, some for millions
Actually, domain squatting largely doesn't work anymore (at least, not in the U.S.). When such squatters have been taken to court, unless they already had a site up on that address that had or sold something that could legitimately claim that name, they have been forced by law to sell their domain to the other party for no more than the cost of registering it. Other countries (don't ask me which) have adopted similar regulations.
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2007, 05:30 PM   #11
jamesdmanley
Groupie

but during that time they get millions of hits on a good domain which pays thousands in advertising. and thats IF they get taken to court. i know of several "marketing" companies that do nothing but this and have made millions
Old 10-15-2007, 09:37 AM   #12
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
And what if as, I've suggested before' Kindle was just a code name until the real one surfaces? I don't believe Amazon's law representatives would be stupid enough to leave loose ends to poachers like a domain name.
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 09:44 AM   #13
MikeF74
Groupie
MikeF74 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by yvanleterrible View Post
And what if as, I've suggested before' Kindle was just a code name until the real one surfaces? I don't believe Amazon's law representatives would be stupid enough to leave loose ends to poachers like a domain name.
They've registered the trademarks. Its a simple matter to get most of those domains taken down or transferred to Amazon.
MikeF74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 09:44 AM   #14
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
I think you are somewhat correct. I think Amazon is doing the poaching.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 03:26 PM   #15
brecklundin
Banned
brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: mine
Quote:
I completely agree...Kindle is not a name I would associate with books really...as in kindle a fire --> burning books. Beyond my obvious need for a tin foil hat, the name Kindle just does not feel, well, right. Maybe that is because of the supposed prototype pics we have seen posted?

I really suspect that the name will be more in line with reading and the general purpose of the device.
brecklundin is offline   Reply With Quote