Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 01-04-2018, 01:05 AM   #1
Thasaidon
Hedge Wizard
Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Nook Simple
Small Suggestion for Calibre

Hi

Format conversions can take anything from a few seconds to several hours. Polish usually only takes a few seconds. Modify ePub can take up to a couple of minutes (as do the majority of format conversions).

Often while waiting for the job to finish I will start doing something else and get distracted. After a while I will remember the job and find it had finished quite a while earlier.

My suggestion is to add beep when any job is completed. This could be toggled so users who did not need/want it could turn it off.

What do people think?
Thasaidon is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-04-2018, 01:15 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Unless you turned them off, calibre will send notifications on all completed jobs via your OSes notifications system.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 02:56 AM   #3
BetterRed
null operator
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
@Kovid - In windows 10 at least, there's no on/off switch for calibre notifications.

Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	119.7 KB
ID:	161210

I have some programs that have their own settings. e.g. firefox RSS sidebar, qbittorrent, malware bytes etc. Is there a setting in preferences, I looked in L&F, Behaviour, Tweaks, and Misc

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 03:11 AM   #4
Thasaidon
Hedge Wizard
Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Nook Simple
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Unless you turned them off, calibre will send notifications on all completed jobs via your OSes notifications system.
Thank you.

Doh

I turned them off years ago and forgot about it.
Thasaidon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 03:13 AM   #5
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@BR: Preferences->Look & feel->Disable notifications from the system tray icon

It's a little confusingly named, as they historically used to depend on the tray icon, but they dont any more.
Advert
Old 01-04-2018, 04:51 AM   #6
BetterRed
null operator
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@Kovid - the settings shown below have been as you see them 'forever', unsurprisingly I have never seen any calibre O/S level notifications.

Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	106.2 KB
ID:	161211

I just checked "Enable system tray icon (needs restart)", leaving the "Disable notifications in system tray" unchecked and did a conversion, and I got a notify messages when it started and another when it finished.

Then I checked "Disable notifications in system tray" and re-did the conversion, and I did NOT any notification messages.

Which suggests the Disable notifications setting is still dependent on the System Tray setting - on Windows 10 at least. Which is fine by me, because I don't want calibre in the tray, nor do I particular want the notify messages.

BR
Old 01-04-2018, 05:08 AM   #7
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Oh yeah, I forgot about windows, where calibre still sues Qt to do notifications and Qt inturn needs the system tray icon.
Old 01-04-2018, 08:41 PM   #8
BetterRed
null operator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Oh yeah, I forgot about windows, where calibre still sues Qt to do notifications and Qt inturn needs the system tray icon.
Bloomin' operating systems, why can't they all be the same

BR
Old 01-04-2018, 08:52 PM   #9
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4NT, Galaxy Tab 2(RIP)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
Bloomin' operating systems, why can't they all be the same

BR
If they were the same, then what would be the advantages of one vs another
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote