Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 01-09-2018, 07:24 PM   #16
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Glo HD, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Try using the windows subst command to map a drive letter to a folder. Im not at a PC right now but it's along the lines of subst y: e:\some\long\foldername
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 07:40 PM   #17
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4NT, Galaxy Tab 2(RIP)
Make sure your calport/calibre portable folder is in the root of the drive, not layers deep
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 10:41 PM   #18
Kythe42
Connoisseur
Kythe42 can illuminate an eclipseKythe42 can illuminate an eclipseKythe42 can illuminate an eclipseKythe42 can illuminate an eclipseKythe42 can illuminate an eclipseKythe42 can illuminate an eclipseKythe42 can illuminate an eclipseKythe42 can illuminate an eclipseKythe42 can illuminate an eclipseKythe42 can illuminate an eclipseKythe42 can illuminate an eclipse

Device: Kindle Generation 4, Asus Memo Pad 7 inch
@BetterRed It's a WD My Passport hard drive with a NTFS file system.

@PeterT I'm sorry but I have no idea what a subst command is or what mapping a drive letter to a folder is. I'm afraid that's all far over my head, but is that something I'd have to do once, or would I have to do it again on every computer I'd use? Is it something that would have to be redone if the drive letter of the hard drive changes?
Kythe42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 11:03 PM   #19
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Dell Axim, PRS350/650, PB Touch Lux 623, Paperwhite, Voyage, Oasis
I'm not sure how helpful this will be...it's a dim memory. But maybe it will trigger a brighter one in one of the Calibre gurus.

I seem to remember - maybe when I switched from my old XP computer to my Win 7 computer - that "suddenly" Calibre wasn't reading some of my library folders. I got that "filepath too long" message.

I thought Kovid had said that at one time, Calibre allowed for a longer filepath name, but it had been changed. So it remembered it being okay on my old computer, but once I moved it to a new one, it was holding me to the new standard.

theducks mentioned making sure your Calibre executable folder is at the root level (e.g., F:\Calibre rather than F:\PortablePrograms\ThingsIUseALot\Calibre). Do you have your Calibre libraries saved at the root level, too?

Ultimately, I had to move my libraries out of some folders and bring them closer to the C:\ top level to get Calibre to read my libraries again. I just don't remember the details on how I had it organized before to give you a good example.
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 11:09 PM   #20
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Glo HD, Touch, Tolino EPOS
All that the substrate command does is to assign a drive letter to a folder.

It's used at the command line

I was just suggesting it as a means of shortening the path.

Say your external drive is E: and your calibre library is at E:\My Backup\Users\Peter\Documents\Calibre Library

Entering at a command prompt subst y: E:\My Backup\Users\Peter\Documents would allow you to access your library at. y:\Calibre Library

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 11:54 PM   #21
Kythe42
Connoisseur
Kythe42 can illuminate an eclipseKythe42 can illuminate an eclipseKythe42 can illuminate an eclipseKythe42 can illuminate an eclipseKythe42 can illuminate an eclipseKythe42 can illuminate an eclipseKythe42 can illuminate an eclipseKythe42 can illuminate an eclipseKythe42 can illuminate an eclipseKythe42 can illuminate an eclipseKythe42 can illuminate an eclipse

@FizzyWater I suppose that might make sense but I'm pretty sure I haven't been using Calibre long enough for that change to apply. The second portable copy that I use for a separate library is only a couple of months old.

And no, it's not at the root level. Having it at the root level would completely interfere with how I organize and backup my files and I'd consider it to be an unreasonable requirement. The error I got stated that the library path couldn't exceed 89 characters. The change to CalPort should have put the path within those requirements.

@PeterT Thanks for explaining that a bit more. It seems to work, though it just shows the CalPort folder under the Calibre folder and I wanted the top Calibre folder to show in the mapped drive since I have two different copies that need mapping. I suppose my only other option is to map the entire Documents folder.

I'm still not clear though if it's something that needs to be done once, or on every computer. If the latter, it would definitely make the program less portable. For example, I don't know if it's something you'd be able to do on a public computer at the library.

Thanks to everyone that's replied so far. It seems I have a working solution for the moment, though I'm not sure if it will be viable long term or not. I really wish Microsoft would do away with path length restrictions. It seems rather archaic at his point.
Old 01-10-2018, 02:51 AM   #22
GrannyGrump
Obsessively Dedicated...
GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T2, ADE on PC
The subst command is cleared on re-boot, and yes, it would have to be run on every computer you use. But a batch file makes that quick and painless.

I haven't done so in a long time, but I used to use a batch file to assign my external drive to drive "A" at our library computers. (Because "A" has been traditionally assigned on all computers to the old default floppy drive, and remains as a reserved letter even if there is no floppy drive present)
GrannyGrump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 04:09 AM   #23
BetterRed
null operator
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
At one stage I thought it was all relative to calibre-portable.exe's location, but someone convinced that was not the case - no names, no pack drill

So, maybe the problem is that the calibre portable installation went to say - C:\My Portables\Calibre Portable, so calibre-portable.exe sets up the 'environment' around that path, e.g. it expects the config directory location to "C:\My Portables\Calibre Portable\Calibre Settings" and the library folders are expected to be at "C:\My Portables\Calibre Portable\" etc.

But Kythe42's backup (via Synchtoy) has copied C:\My Portables\Calibre Portable to lets say H:\Backup\My Portables\Calibre Portable but calibre-portable.exe maybe assuming the environment for the original location.

I do something similar, my libraries are at D:\Calibre\Libraries\, but on my backup drive (maintained by Goodsync which is similar to Synctoy, FFS etc) they're at H:\#DataBackup\Calibre\Libraries - I occasionally access the libraries on the backup drive with no problems, but via installed calibre not a copy of a calibre portable install.

@Kythe42 - a simple cookbook solution isn't coming to front of mind. Basically you need to install a fresh portable onto the WD drive (NewPort), and then copy the library(ies) from the backup location (CalPort) to NewPort, what I'm not sure of is copying Calibre Settings from CalPort to NewPort.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 11:11 AM   #24
Kythe42
Connoisseur

@GrannyGrump Thanks for your reply. Unfortunately, this whole batch file thing is also over my head, and I really shouldn't have to be learning all of these different tweaks in order to make a portable program run properly. The fact is that this is a temporary situation. Under normal circumstances, I'm only using Calibre from one computer(though I'd use it on my tablet too if Calibre had an Android version). If I normally used multiple computers, I'd probably put the program on a smaller thumb drive where I wouldn't have an issue with putting it much closer to the root.

@BetterRed The renamed Calport folder did work with the folder mapped to a drive letter, so I think the real issue here is the fact that it wasn't reading it properly despite being under the path length specified by the error I received. If the requirements are less than what the error specified, then that needs fixing. Once I get my laptop back I might shorten the backup folder on the external HD to see if that helps, but when I'm actively relying on this backup to run things, it would just create too many problems.